‹ Prequel: Love on Top
Sequel: (You Drive Me) Crazy

Be With You

Woman Like Me

Do you think, You could fall for a woman like me? 'Cause I find it hard to trust. I need too much. And I really don't believe in love, no no. Do you think, That I could be the girl of your dreams? Sometimes I don't let things go, Get emotional. And sometimes I'm just out of control.

~*~*~


Zac Dalpe strummed on his guitar, sitting amongst his teammates and their friends on the rooftop deck of their building. Beside him sat, Piper who smiled and laughed with Quinn and Zach Boychuk. He leaned closer to Piper and kissed her cheek. She turned her face, beaming at him. He set the guitar to the side and pulled Piper to him, capturing her lips in a soft, sweet kiss.

"Awww!" Quinn cooed. "So adorable!" Piper blushed and pulled back from him. Zac put an arm around her shoulders and pulled her closer to him.

"Can you please shut your girlfriend up, Chuckie?" Zac said.

He grinned. "It's been a month; haven't you figured out yet that there is no stopping her?"

Quinn stuck her tongue out at both of them and Zach pulled her into his lap, kissing her. "That is the only way to shut her up," Piper said.

"I think Chuckie likes that its the only way to shut her up," Zac answered her. Piper smiled and leaned into him.

"Will you play something?"

"Any requests?"

Piper shrugged. "You pick." Zac nodded and picked the guitar back up, strumming and then beginning to sing softly.

Conversation around the group began to quiet as Zac played and everyone began to move closer. He looked over to Piper and held her gaze as he came to the end of the song. Several people clapped and the crowd dispersed. A girl he did not know sat down beside him.

“You’re very good,” she said, leaning into him to speak softly in his ear.

“Thank you,” he replied, shifting away from her and taking Piper’s hand in his. She smirked and inched closer.

“My name is Roxanne.”

“I’m Zac. This is Piper.” Piper smiled and Roxanne flicked her eyes over her, quickly dismissing her as not being competion. She turned back to Zac, touching his arm.

“Can you play another song?”

“Uh, sure,” Zac replied, pulling the guitar into his lap. He began to play again. Piper stood and moved across the patio. Quinn gave Zach a quick kiss and moved to follow her, grabbing Jordyn as she went.
“Ignore that girl,” Quinn said as soon as they reached Piper. “Zac likes you.”

Piper shook his head. “He doesn’t. I’m so awkward!”

“And he isn’t?” Quinn asked. “You forget I’m over there all the time. He’s always asking me about you.”

“Piper, that girl is a skank. Just forget her,” Jordyn told her. “Zac would never be interested in a girl like that.” As she said the words, Zac stood and Roxanne followed him, lacing her arm through his. She shot a smug smile at Piper when they passed.

“I am so kicking his ass later,” Quinn seethed. She shot a look to Zach who joined them quickly.

“She said she needed to use the bathroom. Zac is taking her down to our place,” Zach said to her.

“Like hell he is! Come on, Jordyn.” The two girls took off for the elevator, waiting impatiently for it to arrive. Quinn let herself into his apartment when she reached it and threw the door open.

“Zac Dalpe!” Quinn yelled. “I am so disappointed in you!” She turned and stomped away.

“Jordyn,” Zac said weakly to the woman still standing in his doorway, frowning at him.

“You are so dead, Dalpe,” she replied. She stared Roxanne down, shooting daggers at her. The girl shrinked and clutched Zac’s arm. She followed Quinn back up to the roof deck and they went straight to Piper.

“We’re leaving,” Quinn announced. “Now.” She grabbed Piper's hand and pulled her behind her across the patio, storming across, not caring about the curious stares they attracted. Justin Peters and Zach followed them.

“Babe, what’s wrong?” Zach asked. She shot him a look and he stopped talking.

“Come on,” Jordyn said, leading the way to the elevators. They dinged open and Zac stepped off with Roxanne in tow.

“Please, don’t go,” Zac begged Quinn and Jordyn.

“Fuck you,” Quinn growled, pulling Piper into the elevator with her.

"Jordyn, please," Zac said, grabbing her wrist. She stared at his hand on her.

"Let go."

"I just need-"

SLAP! Jordyn reached back and slapped Zac across the cheek, interrupting his thought. He let go of her in shock and held his hand against his cheek, which throbbed.

“I’m glad we know you aren't good enough for her now, before things got serious,” Jordyn said, stepping onto the elevator with her friends. She shook her head sadly at him and pushed the button for the lobby and the doors slid closed.

“What the hell did you do?” Zach asked his roommate.

"Don't you ever put your hands on Jordyn again," Justin warned. "I will fucking break you like a twig if you even think about touching her."

Roxanne smiled with satisfaction and stepped up to Zac, curling into his side. She turned his face to hers and traced her finger along his stinging cheek. She kissed him for the second time that night. “Now that the loser is gone, lets me and you get to know each other.”

“You are an idiot,” Zach said to him lowly before turning and walking away from him. Justin shook his head and walked away also.

Quinn and Jordyn exchanged a look once they were back inside their condo. The ride home had been silent. Piper sat down on the couch and looked to them for answers. Quinn sank down beside her and Jordyn on the other side.

“What happened?” Piper asked nervously.

“When we went down to Zac’s apartment, we...we saw him kissing that girl,” Jordyn answered. The color drained from Piper’s face and tears pricked her eyes.

“What?”

“We’re sorry, Piper. We both thought he was so much better than that,” Quinn said.

“I thought you two were perfect for each other,” Jordyn admitted. “I liked Dalps for you.”

“Me too,” Quinn admitted softly. Both girls wrapped their arms around Piper as she began to cry. A knock at the door brought them back. Quinn frowned and walked over to answer the door. She stepped out into the hall.

“Is she okay?” Zach asked, hugging his girlfriend to him.

“No and neither am I. I hate your roommate right now.”

“Me too, babe.” He kissed her softly.

“Did you drive all the way over here to check on us?”

“Yes. You and Jordyn were pissed. By the time I got downstairs, you were gone so I got my keys and drove over. I’ve never seen either of you so angry. Holy shit! Please do not let me get on Jordyn's bad side ever. I swear Dalps has her handprint on his face."

"He deserved it."

"I know."

“I’m not staying over at your place ever again.”

He chuckled and smoothed his hand over her hair. “I understand. Can I stay with you instead?”

Quinn shook her head. “Always, just not tonight. I need to be there for Piper and I don’t want her to feel worse with you here.”

“I’m glad she’s got you and Jordyn. And I’m kicking his ass when I get home.” Quinn kissed him and he held her for several minutes before she stepped back from him. “I love you, Quinn.”

“I love you too, Zach.”

“Go take care of Piper. Tell her we’ll take care of Dalps.”

Practice the next day was brutal for Zac. Boychuk wasn’t talking to him, Brett shot him dirty looks all throughout practice, Justin chopped at him every time he got near the crease and Sorzy finished off every hit with him with more force than necessary. He showered after practice and left before everyone else. He found himself driving towards the nibble. He parked his truck and walked back to the shop. The bell chimed announcing his arrival and Jordyn looked up. Her face clouded in anger.

"You need to go before I beat your ass," Jordyn said through gritted teeth.

"Please, Jordyn. I just want to talk to Piper."

"She's not here. We gave her the rest of the week off and she left town."

"Where is she?"

"None of your business."

"Jordyn, I'm sorry. She kissed me though. I didn't kiss her. I really like Piper."

"You should have tried harder then. You can't hurt Piper. She's been through enough without supposed nice guys turning out to be pricks. Now go and don't come back here."

Saturday night, a week and a half later, Jordyn and Quinn sat in their usual seats. Zac frowned when he did not see Piper with them. "She didn't come?" he asked Boychuk.

"Nope," he replied without looking at him. "They all hate you right now. I'm lucky Quinn is even here. She didn't want to come and neither did Jordyn. I had to get Peters involved to get them both here."

"Sorry," Zac said. "I just want to make things right."

"They won't talk to you, trust me.

"So how do I apologize?"

Zach shrugged. "You're on your own with that one. No way in stepping into it. Quinn is pissed at you and I don't want her pissed at me too."

At the bar after the game, Quinn and Jordyn refused to look at or acknowledge Zac. He moved away from them and sat with Jerome Samson and Riley Nash several feet away from the others. When he saw Quinn head to the bar alone, he got up and headed towards her. Justin Peters grabbed his arm before he could reach her.

"Where do you think you're going?" He asked.

"Just to get a beer," he answered vaguely.

"Stay away from Quinn. Stay away from Jordyn. They don't want to talk to you."

"I wasn't!" He protested.

"That's bullshit. Just keep your hands off of Jordyn or you'll have me to deal with. I definitely wouldn't cross Chuckie when it comes to Quinn either."

He walked to the opposite end of the bar as Quinn. She scowled at him and walked away after the bartender set drinks in front of her. Zac ordered a beer for himself and leaned back against the bar as he waited. He heard a commotion of voices around his teammates but he couldn't see what was going on. He took his beer from the bartender and made his way back to his now empty table. Jerome and Riley crowded around with the other guys. He sat back and closed his eyes, rubbing his temples.

"Hey hottie," Roxanne whispered in his ear, running her hand down his chest. She ran her other hand through his hair, pulling his head back and claiming his kiss for her own. Zac pulled away from her.

"Stop. I don't like you," he said as he stood. "I don't want to be with you. I don't want to sleep with you. Stop kissing me, stop talking to me. Just get lost." He pushed past her and walked out to the patio. Roxanne followed and called his name. He sighed and turned towards her.

"I believe he just told you that he's not interested," Jordyn hissed at her, grabbing her arm and holding her in place. "So get the fuck lost." She released her arm and she scampered off. Zac stared at Jordyn.

"Thank you?"

Jordyn's features softened. "You're welcome. I heard what you said to her but she doesn't seem like the type to take no for an answer."

"Jordyn, I'm really sorry."

"I'm not the one you should be apologizing to."

"Piper?" She nodded.

"Although I will take an apology for having to put up with Quinn and Chuckie every night. Holy fuck do I feel bad for you."

Zac smiled. "They're happy though."

"Yes they are...go figure."

"Is Piper home? Should I call her?"

Jordyn clucked her tongue at him. "Oh dear, sweet Dalps. You don't know."

"Know what?"

Jordyn grabbed his hand and led him back inside. "Come see what you're teammates were all looking at."

Jordyn walked up to the table and Quinn smiled at Zac. "Hey, Zac," she said.

"That's it? You're not mad at me anymore?"

"Saw you tell Roxanne off."

"Holy shit!" Brett exclaimed, throwing an arm over Quinn's shoulder. "You're friend is so fucking hot. Oh, hey Zac." He looked between Quinn and Jordyn quizzically and they shrugged so he shrugged and walked away.

"What friend?" Zac asked. He looked to Justin who looked away.

"Let's dance, Jordyn," he said, leading her away from the table.

"Come on, Dalps," Quinn said, taking his hand. "You're with me." She grinned at him and pulled him behind her. She blew a kiss to Zach as they went past him.

"You're acting weird; why are you acting weird?" Zac asked.

"I'm not acting weird. Why are you acting weird?" She put an arm around his neck and he put his hand at her waist as they moved together. Behind him, he heard what he thought was a familiar, feminine giggle. He started to turn and Quinn stopped him, catching his face in her hands and cupping his chin in her hand.

"You can not freak out. Jordyn and I are letting you back in, remember that but you brought this on."

"Quinn, what is going on?" She turned him and he found himself watching the back of Brett Sutter as he danced with a girl. Her back was flush to his and she grinded against him, her hair whipping around her. Brett pushed it aside and leaned his mouth to her ear, whispering something to her that only she was meant to hear. He heard the giggle again and she turned, sliding an arm around his neck and leaning into him to whisper something back. When she pulled back, Zac locked eyes with her. Piper.

He began to move towards her but Quinn angled herself in front of him, moving him away. "Quinn!" He complained.

"You're going to have to let her come to you," she advised him. "So you can either dance with me or go back to the table. At least from here we can watch her." He grumbled but continued to dance with Quinn, watching Brett and Piper over her shoulder. He hated the way Brett touched her, the way he talked close to her ear, the way his hands moved on her and gripped her hips as they swung side to side against him.

“Come on, lets get you a drink,” Quinn said, tugging him off the dance floor with him. She deposited him at the table, gave Zach a kiss and moved on to the bar with Jordyn in tow.

“So what now?” Quinn asked as they waited for their drinks.

They both glanced to Piper, who was heading towards the table with Brett, who had an arm wrapped around her waist, pinning her to his side.

“What the hell has gotten into her?” Jordyn asked. “I mean, don’t get me wrong. I sorta love it but this is not the Piper we know.”

“We’ve been trying to corrupt her for years. Apparently she’s finally taken our advice.”

“Which is exactly what I’m afraid of. This isn’t a game she knows how to play, Quinn.”

Quinn shrugged. “So we watch out for her.”

“I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but your boyfriend is totally eye fucking you right now and I feel certain that he is trying to figure out how to get you out of this bar as soon as possible which leaves me to watch her and all I want to do is take Peters home for a little fun times.”

“He is totally eye fucking me, right?”

“Quinn! This is serious! Be serious.”

“I can’t be serious when you tell me my boyfriend is eye fucking me!”

“Oh my god. I can not with you tonight. Go get Piper. We need to have a talk.”

“All right, all right. Meet you on the patio?”

“Yes. Now go.” Jordyn gave Quinn a small shove and Quinn made her way back to the group of hockey players. She smiled sweetly at Brett before grabbing Piper’s hand and dragging her outside with her.

“What a view,” Brett said with an appreciative smile. He took a drink from his beer as they all watched Piper’s hips swing. Her legs were encased in leather leggings and she had on a pair of red heels and a black tank top, cut extremely low. It showed more skin and more of her body than anything she would normally wear.

“What the fuck!” Zac yelled at him. “Piper is my girl.”

“You fucked that shit up, dude. Now its my turn for a try.”

Piper followed Quinn out onto the patio and sat down between her and Jordyn. “What's up?” she asked brightly.

“What are you wearing?” Jordyn asked.

Piper glanced down at her outfit and then back up to Jordyn. “Clothes,” she answered with a shrug of her shoulders.

“Did you raid Quinn’s closet for that?”

“Hey!” Quinn shouted. “Actually,wait...are those my heels?”

“I didn't think you’d mind if I borrowed them,” Piper replied. “And I got the outfit yesterday. You don’t like it?”

“Can I borrow those leggings? They’re super hot. Like they look painted on,” Quinn said.

“Quinn!” Jordyn admonished. “Sweet jesus. Piper, why the clothes, why the change?”

“It’s what he wants, right?”

“Oh Piper,” Jordyn replied softly. “Never change who you are for a boy, no matter how cute he is.”

“But-”

Quinn cut her off. “Never, Piper. Always be you. I kissed three of Zach’s teammates all in the same night and he still wanted to go out with me.”

“Look at you though,” Piper said. “I don’t have your ass.”

“I don’t have your gorgeous hair.”

“Neither of you have my fantastic tits,” Jordyn added.

“God I wish I had your boobs,” Quinn said. Piper giggled.

“You should talk to Zac,” Jordyn said. “He’s sorry and I know he didn't mean for all this to happen.”

“You both think I should talk to him?”

“Yes.”

“Ok, but what do I say?”

“You don’t say anything. He does all the talking,” Quinn said.

“Just stay right here, okay? Jordyn said. Piper nodded. “Oh, and by the way, Quinn is getting ready to leave with Chuckie and I’ll be leaving with Justin so make sure Zac gets you home safe, ‘kay?” Quinn hugged her and then Jordyn before they disappeared back inside.

Quinn and Jordyn grabbed Zac and pulled him with them, stopping just short of the door that led outside. “Tell her everything, grovel, apologize,” Jordyn told him.

“But if you mess up again, I will make it so no other woman will enjoy you,” Quinn promised. “I know where you live and I can come and go as I please,” she smirked. She turned and skipped away, grabbed Zach around the middle and whispered in his ear. He set his full beer bottle down on the table, and let Quinn lead him out of the bar.

“We’re trusting you, Dalpe,” Jordyn said. “Don’t make us regret it. Piper is the best thing that will ever come along in your life. Make her know she is worth it.” She kissed his cheek and pushed him out the door onto the patio.

“Everything all right?” Justin asked, coming up behind Jordyn and snaking an arm around her.

“It will be,” Jordyn answered. She turned to him and kissed him. “Wanna get out of here? I haven’t seen you in almost a week.”

“Sorry about that,” he replied.

She shrugged. “Its cool. I met this guy and he took me to dinner a couple times.”

“You met someone?”

“This banker. He came into the nibble this week while I was working out front. I’m not sleeping with him. It was just a couple dates. I mean, me and you, we’re casual, no strings, so its no big deal, right? ”

“Yeah. Yeah,” Justin agreed. Jordyn smiled, kissing him lightly and following him out of the bar.

“Hey,” Zac said softly, sitting down beside Piper.

“Hi,” Piper said shyly.

“Piper, I’m really sorry. I didn’t...I mean, she wasn’t...shit.”

“Zac, just talk to me.”

“She wasn’t you. I don’t want anyone but you, Piper.”

“I’m not anyone special, Zac.”

“You’re special to me. I just want to be with you, Piper. I swear, it's you and only you.” She smiled at him and leaned close, placing her lips on his and kissing him softly. He put his arms around her and drew her body into his. “Piper, will you be my girlfriend?”

“Mm-hmm,” she agreed, snuggling into him.

“Do you want to leave?”

She looked up at him. “Your place?”

“You want to?” he asked cautiously.

Piper nodded. “Yeah, with you I do.”

“Zac Dalpe!” Quinn yelled. “I am going to kill you!” Piper blushed furiously as both men stepped out of their rooms to find Quinn, hands on hips, standing in the middle of the living room in nothing more than one of Zach’s t-shirts and her underwear. “What the hell, Dalpe! You brought her home, really? You thought that was a good idea?!”

“It was her idea,” Zac replied as he yawned, running his hands through his hair.

Quinn spun on Piper. “Your idea?! Really?” Piper nodded and Quinn tackled her in a hug. Piper had never been more glad in her life for the t shirt and gym shorts she had swiped from Zac and was wearing as Quinn’s shirt rode up and the boys got a full view of her butt clad only in a pair of boy shorts. “My little Piper is all grown up!” she cheered. “I have to call Jordyn!”

“Stop showing Dalps your ass and come back to bed,” Zach said to her, hauling her to her feet and picking her up.

“After I call Jordyn,” they heard her protest before dissolving into giggles behind the closed bedroom door.

Zac leaned against the doorframe of his room and smiled at Piper. “You weren't trying to sneak out on me, were you?”

“No.”

“Good. Then come back to bed. I don’t have to be up for another three hours and I want to spend them all with you.” Piper walked over to him and kissed him in the doorway.

“I want to spend them all with you too.”