Status: incomplete

This Is What I Want

18.

Days passed with no word or sign from Klaus. Damon and I began fighting more and more as the days passed into weeks and then months.

“Do you think he’s gone?” I asked Damon one morning. We were sat at the table. He was reading the paper as I watched him over my cereal. This was a conversation we had quite frequently.

“No I don’t, but for now it seems like he has. We shouldn’t let our guards down. This could be exactly what he wants from us.” His answer was short. The same as it always was. I knew I was on thin ice and that it could turn into a fight at any moment.

I sighed.

“I’m tired of living in fear! Why doesn’t he just do something already?” I grumbled under my breath. I heard the paper hit the table and knew Damon was upset.

“Why would you say that? Your lives are constantly in danger and you don’t even care? We’ve been over this so many times, Delaney, we can’t get complacent!”

I looked up at him.

“I do care, I’m just sick of constantly looking over my shoulder, wondering when he’s going to make his move.” I stood up. “I can’t stand this anymore.”

“You need to be aware! He could do anything at any time! Delaney, you need to take this seriously!”
Damon stood up as well. His face loomed over mine, anger and frustration in his eyes.

“I get it.”

I turned around to leave but he caught my arm.

“Do you?” His grip tightened. “You’re not acting like you even care!”

“Damon, let go.”

He didn’t loosen his hold.

“Damon! You’re hurting me, let go!”

“Tell me you’ll take this seriously!”

“Damon! Let me go!” I shouted. I heard footsteps and Stefan entered the room. He immediately tore Damon’s grip from my arm which was already bruising.

“Go cool down, brother. I’ll keep an eye on her.”

Damon growled in response and left the house. The door slammed shut behind him. I sat back down at the table and looked up at Stefan. I sighed.

“I don’t know what to do, Stefan. He thinks I’m not taking this situation seriously. I am, but I can’t live in constant fear that something is going to happen. Always look over my shoulder, wondering if he’s going to be there. It’s driving me insane! I don’t want anything to happen but the paranoia is starting to wear on me!”

Tears came from nowhere and spilled down my cheeks. Stefan wrapped me in a hug.

“Thanks,” I whispered quietly. “You always put up with me.”

I pulled away and crouched down in front of me. His hands were on my arms.

“Of course I do. I always will. Just because you’re dating Damon doesn’t mean I can’t support you as well.”

I continued to look into his eyes. He leaned closer and suddenly his lips were on mine. My hands went up to his hair as he pulled me to him.

I pulled away suddenly.

“Stefan, I can’t. I love Damon, and what about Elena?”

He looked away from me.

“We broke up.”

My mouth dropped open.

“What? When? What happened? Why didn’t you tell me before?”

“A few weeks ago. She said she needed some space. The Klaus situation was wearing on her as well. I didn’t want to tell you because you and Damon were constantly at each other’s throats. I didn’t want to add more to your plate.”

“So you two are fine living together? Stefan, of course you could’ve told me!”

He nodded.

“It’s a bit weird, but yeah, we’re okay. We didn’t end on bad terms she just decided that she couldn’t be with me anymore. She told me she was in love with Damon and had been for some time.”

It was my turn to hug him. I was struck by his news but focused on him instead. I knew that Damon loved me and wouldn’t go to Elena.

“Oh Stefan, I’m so sorry.”

He returned the hug but didn’t respond. He pulled away and just looked at me. I could see the pain in his eyes, but didn’t offer any words. I knew that silence was what he needed. He took my hands in his.

“Thank you, Delaney, really.”

I heard footsteps in the doorway and looked up to see Elena standing there. I pulled away from Stefan, ready to say something to her, but she turned and left the house before either of us could move. My heart dropped. I turned to look at Stefan who was looking at me.

“I don’t think you want to stick around when Damon gets home,” I whispered. I could feel a fight brewing already.
♠ ♠ ♠
hey, hey. long time no see.

guys, i know i say this a lot, but i'm sorry for being so shitty at updating! it's summer so i'll try to update more now! thanks for sticking around y'all.

xoxo