Status: I hope you like it. It's my first story so if you have any advice for me please feel free to share

Babette's Story

Chapter 21: With Your Permission

So, here we all sat at the diner. My pop, my brothers, Forrest, and I. Jack and Howard were seated by the bar with Maggie casually making small talk, but I knew they were really listening in. Eli and Richie were opposed to the idea of me living with the Bondurants once the words came out of Forrest' mouth. Pop being the only level headed one of the three wanted to hear Forrest out.

"Mr. Darmody, I give you my word that I will let no harm come to your daughter. I just worry about her well being around someone as unstable as that deputy." Forrest mutters.

Before pop could say his piece, Richie chimes in. "And you think we can't do that?" Richie's tone was eerily calm. "We've been taking care of our lil' sister since she was born. It wasn't until she started hangin' 'round here that trouble came to her. I may have accepted the fact that my sister is with you, but don't you think this is kinda pushin' it?" He stared intently into Forrest' eyes. Neither of their gazes wavering.

My pop cleared his throat and spoke up. "I've heard from my boys what the deputy has done to you and your family. I also remember my daughter and my niece coming home well into the night covered in your blood. What makes you so sure she's safer with you?"

"I'd give my life to keep her safe." Forrest stated as a matter of fact. After a few seconds he adds. "Any man dumb enough to lay a finger on her, I'll crack his fuckin' skull." He growled. My heart stopped as Forrest said those words, nervously glancing at my pop to see his reaction. My pop gave a barely noticeable nod and sighed as he sat back in his chair.

Richie scoffed. "That deputy got it out for you Bondurants and you think she's safer here?" His control on his temper fading. "He beat your lil' brother to a bloody mess. He had men come here to kill you. They failed obviously, but not without leaving that lil' reminder across your neck." Richie gestured with his hand to Forrest' throat. Forrest' jaw tensed. The last thing I needed was to have both of the people I love come to blows right in front of me.

"Richie!" I scolded, earning a scowl in return. I looked to Eli, who had been quieter than usual. It amazes me how much he resembled pop at this moment. Sitting back in his seat, arms crossed over his broad chest, and the same eyes as my pop. Plagued with worry and aged beyond his years- just as our pop. I knew there was so much he wanted to say.

Pop shifted in his seat, leaning forward on the table between us all. He stared at his intertwined hands and sighed heavily. "Well, what this all comes down to is..... You, Babette." I stared at him wide eyed. In complete shock that he was leaving this big decision up to me. Eli looked just as surprised and Richie's eyes nearly pop out of his head. I glanced around the table anxiously until I came around to Forrest' face. He waited patiently for my answer. Tearing my eyes away from Forrest I looked at my pop, taking his intertwined hands in mine and giving a gentle squeeze. His brown eyes met mine.

He dipped his head urging me to go on. Letting out a shaky deep breath I answered. "I wanna live with Forrest-" Richie raises his voice over mine.

"Like hell you will! You are not living here." He growled. His fist clenched on top of the table.

"It's my choice, Rich." My voice was small. His glare was enough to get my heart pumping. I was nervous and scared. I almost wanted to change my decision so he wouldn't blow up. I tore my eyes away from him. I couldn't keep contact because I knew I would give in. My vision began to blur with tears that I so desperately tried to keep from falling. "I'm going to live with Forrest, Richie." My voice a little louder than before. Before Richie could tear into me with his angered words Eli finally spoke.

"There's nothin' we can do 'bout Rich. If she wants to stay here... Let her stay." Richie's vicious glare turned to Eli incredulously.

"The fuck you mean we can't do shit about it!? She's our lil' and only sister! You wanna risk the chance that she'll be safer with them than her own family!?" He shoots up from his chair kicking it backwards, startling me and catching cautious stares from the other two Bondurants. "I don't know what the hell is wrong with you two!" He yells at pop and Eli. "Maybe I'm the only one right in the head. When are you gonna realize that this is a bad choice? When it's too fuckin' late? Huh!? I tell you this pop, when you're burying another child into the ground don't expect me to be there laying another sibling to rest!" Not a second after Richie spit out those hurtful words was Eli out of his seat grabbing Richie by the collar with both hands.

"It would be wise of you to watch how you speak to pop. Pop may not want to do anything 'bout it, but I sure as hell would." Eli never raised his voice as he spoked through gritted teeth. Richie struggled out of his grip, shoving Eli back few steps. With one final glance my way Richie stormed out of the diner. Everybody's eyes shifted from one to another.

"Don't worry 'bout 'em hunny." Pop said to me giving my hand a firm reassuring squeeze. "He'll come 'round eventually, he always does." He sighed. With that he rose from his chair as did Forrest. My pop offered his hand to Forrest. "She's in your hands now Forrest, and I expect that she be in the same condition that I left her in every time I see her." Forrest shook my pop's hand giving a nod and a small grunt to confirm his understanding. Forrest shook Eli's hand as well. I rose slowly still trying to take in the display of events that happened before me. I walked over to Eli. He pulled me into a hug.

"If things don't work out here,you can always come home. Alright?" He released me from his warm embrace to look directly at my face. I gave him a tight lipped smile and small nod. Not wanting to use my voice out of fear that it would surely crack. I silently walked with him out to the porch, Forrest a couple of steps behind no doubt trying to give me and my family some privacy. Eli walked towards pop's truck leaving me and pop at the top of the porch steps. He turned to me.

"I'll, ah, let your aunt and cousin know what's going on. We can pack your things tomorrow if you want." He stood silently for a few moments with a look in his eyes that I could not fathom. "I love ya hunny." He said as he placed a swift kiss on my forehead and walked away. I shut my eyes finally releasing those obnoxious tears that I held for so long. I quickly wiped them away as I heard Forrest approaching me from behind. He wrapped his strong arms around me- comforting me. We watched as my pop and Eli drove away. This may be the biggest decision I ever made in my life, but it was mine and it gave me a feeling that I could not describe. I turned to face Forrest staring up into his eyes. I smiled at him and his full lips twitched at me. I was in control of my life now and Forrest was the one that helped me gain that control.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long wait for this chapter guys!!! I hope you can forgive me. Hoped you enjoy