Status: I hope you like it. It's my first story so if you have any advice for me please feel free to share

Babette's Story

Chapter 23: Too Much White Lightening?

"Uh... Um it's just stress Forrest." I say ignoring what I knew he was implying. At this moment I wish my mom were here to talk to. He eyed me skeptically and I knew I wasn't fooling him. I knew that the doe-eyed look I gave to him was enough of a confirmation from me.

He sighed. "We'll talk after dinner." 'As if I had a choice' I thought to myself. I readied myself to face the other Bondurants and Maggie. Forrest motioned for me to go ahead first. Slowly and I mean very slowly I walked back to the table. All eyes were on me. Maggie and Jack's eyes held worry, but Howard's eyes held a bit of humor. I knew he could not wait to pester me. I didn't notice I was holding my breath until I sighed in relief that the dish holding the collard greens were no longer on the table. Looking to Maggie briefly she smiled. I took my seat and filled my plate with the mouthwatering food before me.

It was quiet for a while- that is until Howard decided to break the silence. "Too much white lightening Baps?" A huge smirk plastered on his rugged face. I glared at him through my lashes.

"I guess everyone doesn't have as much tolerance as you Howard." I reply sarcastically. He snorts as he shakes his head. Maggie starts to clear the table, a small smile playing at her lips. If I didn't know any better I would say that Maggie, Howard and even Jack were in on a joke I wasn't in on. Leaning back in his seat taking a sip from his mason jar, Howard continued with his pestering.

"Join me in a drink. Build up that tolerance you were speakin' of." He challenged. What was he playing at? Surely he had an idea after what he just witnessed. Howard was toying with me. He knows I embarrass easily. "If white lightening ain't your taste, you could try some apple brandy." A devilish grin spread across his face. I shook my head no. "Aw c'mon now, have a drink with your brother in law." He says as he slides a mason jar over to me.

The odor of the clear liquid is strong. My eyes wearily travel from Howard's glassy blue eyes, to the jar sitting in front of me, to peaking up at Forrest. I bit my lip absentmindedly my eyes resting on Howard's face- his eyebrows raised urging me to take a sip. It was then that I realized what he was doing. He wanted me to say that I couldn't drink. He wanted me to acknowledge the very small, but big elephant in the room. I shifted in my seat.

"She don't want any Howard." Forrest grumbled as he reached for the jar placing it in front of him.

Howard chuckled. "Why not? I think today calls for a celebration. I mean after Baps here let you have it for the first time." He laughed. Forrest stared at his older brother with a bored expression. "C'mon Baps, ya know you want to." The irritation of Howard's relentless attempts to get me to drink and the embarrassment from everyone's attention being on me, sent me over the edge.

I stood up abruptly from my seat. "I can't drink!! Is that what you wanna hear Howard Bondurant!!?" Maggie and Jack watched in shock at my sudden outburst. Howard's eyes grew wide but he still held his ridiculous grin. "You know, you're a real jackass!" I practically yelled as I headed towards my room.

"She sure told you, huh, Howard!" Jack laughed. I slammed the door shut which caused the laughter downstairs to grow louder. I paced the room. Why am I so mad? I have every right to be, but I shouldn't be this upset. I laugh to myself at how crazy I must seem. The laughter then turned to crying when I started to think of how ridiculous I look at this very moment. Just then Forrest steps in.

"What's wrong?" He mumbles.

I shake my head vigorously. "Nothing... I don't know... Everything. I think I'm losing my mind here Forrest." I laugh without humor. "I'm lashing out at you and your brother for something so small. I'm don't feel in control of my emotions." I close the distance between us and bury myself in his broad chest. "Could you still love a crazy person?"

His chest rumbles. "If I thought you were crazy I'd be long gone by now." The bass of his voice tickling my ear that's pressed to his chest. I giggle at his response. Welcoming the gentle squeeze of his arms around me. His chin resting on top of my head. "So... Were you plannin' on tellin' me or just keepin' this to yourself." Forrest said, it was almost as if I were be scolded. I exhaled deeply pulling away from him.

"Honestly, I didn't want to admit it. With the way that everything's been- my mind is all over the place. I never took the time to notice that I missed a period... Or two." I winced. How could I not notice? How could it just slip my mind? "You have enough goin' on I didn't want to add on to that worry." When I looked into Forrest' eyes he stared at me with more than just a look of a man in love. "I, uh, need to speak to my aunt Gillian. Then we can tell pop and the rest of 'em." My mind instantly went to Richie. If he hated Forrest now, he would probably try to kill him for knocking up his little sister.

"I need you to stay close-" Forrest started but I cut him off.

"I know Forrest, but I'm not gonna be a prisoner here just 'cause you think it's the only way to keep me out of harms way. You see how well that worked out?" I arched my eyebrow. Forrest' lips twitched. "Think you could drive me to aunt Gillian's?" I give him a look that I know he can't say no to.

"Don't cha think tomorrow mornin' would make for a better visit." I scowl at him.

"There's about a thousand questions I need answers to. I won't be able to sleep with them running through my mind." I said hoping to make him feel guilty. A sly smile spreads across my face. "Ya know, you could bring Howard for backup if you're scared. I mean pop probably wouldn't make a big deal, but.... One particular brother tends to make a big deal of things." He glares at me through hooded eyes before heading out the room, tugging me along with him. Everyone was still pretty much in the same spot. Howard seated at the table with a mason jar of white lightening. Jack talking animatedly to Maggie.

"Hey, uh, Howard I'm heading over to her aunts. Keep an eye on things." He gestured to me. Howard pressed his lips together stifling a laugh.

"Might wanna take a shotgun to deal with that brother of hers." He snickered.

"You should come instead. I would rather Richie put a beating on you." I spat him. That caused Howard to howl.

"Feisty! She got a temper that one. I had no idea, or maybe it's just your condition that's got you all crazy." He teased.

"Leave her alone Howard." Maggie's soft voice chimed in. Turning on my heel I headed for the door and towards the car. Howard sure knew how to get me riled up and it was hard to ignore him.

Forrest and I got into the car and drove off. The closer we got to aunt Gillian's the more nervous I got. I was beginning to have second thoughts about this. I could handle telling aunt Gillian and Angie, but my pop and brothers were a different story.

"Uhhhhh, I think we should um, just wait until the morning like you said." I say nervously.

"And let you have a sleepless night?" A smile grew on his soft full pouty lips. "Besides, we're here already." He points out as the car slows to a stop in front of my old home. I have no idea what to expect. No idea what kind of reaction I'll get from them, and that alone was a scary thought. Many different scenarios played in my head and none of them had a happy ending. Getting out of the car we slowly walk up to the house. Stopping at the door I inhale and exhale multiple times in order to regulate my heartbeat. This is it. 'I shouldn't be this scared, I mean this is family. Right?' I say to myself hoping to build a bit of courage.