Status: I hope you like it. It's my first story so if you have any advice for me please feel free to share

Babette's Story

Chapter 24: Temper Temper

Stepping into my old house we were greeted by my very giddy cousin. "Baps it's so good for you to stop by!" She pulled me into a fierce hug. I giggled.

"I was here earlier Ang." She stepped back from me with a stressed look on her face.

"With you gone your brother's attention has been on me. Although not as intense, but jeez, it's annoying." She stated in a low voice. She looked over to Forrest, replacing her frown with her infectious smile again. "Hey Forrest."

"I thought I heard your voice." Pop said as he came out the family room. "What brings you here, at this time of night?" Although his eyes held no judgement, I couldn't help but feel like he could see right through me. All the men in my life seem to have that effect on me.

"I, uh, came to speak to aunt Gillian. I didn't want to come alone so I forced Forrest to take the drive with me." I snickered offering more details than was necessary.

"Gilli's in the kitchen." Pop nodded his head in the direction of the kitchen. "C'mon Forrest, let the women talk. Care for a drink?"

Forrest gave a swift nod. He looked to me. I knew my face had to have a scared expression, because Forrest gave my hand a reassuring squeeze before he walked off with my pop. I took a deep breath then made my way to the kitchen. I also took notice that neither of my brothers were around at the moment. Aunt Gillian smiled when she noticed me, showing off her dimple on her left cheek.

"Twice in one day? Are you trying to move back in?" She teased. I laughed halfheartedly. She gazed at me skeptically. "You okay Hun?"

"Yea, I, uh, actually needed to talk to you." She smiled and motioned for me to take a seat at the table. Before she sat down she poured me a glass of lemonade. Angie who was also in the kitchen took the seat at the end of the table. Her curiosity getting the best of her.

"You're the closest to being a motherly figure to me. Before we moved here I was surrounded by men." I snort. "They can only teach you and explain to you so many things, but I always longed for my mother." My eyes welled up.

"Oh hunny, what's wrong? You know you can tell me anythin'." She said grabbing my hand in hers.

I stare at her trying to get the words out of my mouth. "I'm pretty sure that, umm, that I'm pregnant." My tears fell down my cheeks. Aunt Gillian raised her hand to her mouth, covering the 'O' shape that it held. Angie's eyes were nearly popping out of her head.

"Oh. My. Lord!!!" Angie shouted causing aunt Gillian to jump.

"Ang, please keep it down." I hissed. "Pop doesn't know, and I don't even what to think about what Richie would do if he finds out." I say in a hushed tone.

"When did you find out?" Aunt Gillian asked. Her eyes were watering but she held a smile.

"I guess I knew for a while now. I was just kinda scared to admit it to myself. It's been almost three months since I had a period, and this last week I been sick. I catch a whiff of somethin' and I'm off to the bathroom." I sigh heavily.

"Admit to yourself? Or to certain loved ones?" She smirked. "It's okay to be scared and nervous. Lord knows I was. Having a baby with the person you love, should be one of the happiest moments in your life. Does Forrest know?" She whispered.

I nodded. "He hasn't said much about it, but he looks at me different now. It's not a scared look like he's gonna go running for the hills. It something else- something I don't quite understand."

"Nervous about telling your old man?" She asked with raised eyebrows. I gave her a tight smile and a swift nod of my head. "We can tell him together... If you'd like."

"Baps, what am I suppose to do this summer? I had it all planned out, and now it's ruined." Angie ranted.

"I'm pretty sure I'd still be able to participate in some stuff." I laugh.

"Yea, yea." She waved her hand. Then she grinned. "A baby Baps! I can't believe you're pregnant!" She said excitedly. We talked for a few more minutes until I finally asked for the whereabouts of my brothers.

"They're just outback fixing your daddy's truck." Angie said nonchalantly. My eyes widen in horror.

"They've been outback this whole time?" I asked. She nodded. I got up from my seat and wandered over to the screen door that led to the backyard. The light in the shed that Richie and Eli built was on. A wave of relief washed over me knowing that they couldn't of possibly heard me. I open the door deciding that I needed a little bit of air. I took in a deep breath and exhaled, placing my hand on my abdomen. To think that a small human being is growing inside of my womb at this very moment amazes me.

"So I'm gonna be an uncle." A voice came from behind me. My heart stopped and a cold chill went through my body. Then my heart started to beat frantically. I was paralyzed in place knowing that the voice belonged to my brother Richie. "Didn't mean to eavesdrop. I was going in to clean up till I heard Ang say somethin' 'bout you being knocked up." Finally willing myself to face my older brother as he sat on a chair with a jar of liquid casually taking sips from it. His voice was calm but there was a hint of something else behind it. A smile played on his lips but his eyes held no humor.

"I-I-I wanted to talk-" he waved his hand dismissing anything I was about to say.

"You know Babette, you sure are findin' yourself in an awful lot of situations since we came here." He took another sip from the jar he held in his hand. He clenched his jaw as the liquid flowed down his throat. His watery eyes meeting mine. He sniffled and with his free hand he wiped at his nose. "You got mixed up with them Bondurants. Their problems became yours- which became ours. You're sleepin' with one of 'em. Christ, now your pregnant." He scoffed shaking his head.

I couldn't find my voice. I didn't know what to say to him. "Seems like every chance you get you turnin' your back on your family." The venom in Richie's voice was clearly evident.

"That is not fair Richie. I would never turn my back on you!" My voice cracking in strange places. Tears escaping my eyes realizing that my brother still held a grudge. "I'm going to be 20 years old. I never went out on dates, I never kissed a boy, I never been in love... And that was all for you. So that I didn't worry you, or Eli, or pop. Is it so hard for you to see me as an adult? I am in love-"

"Spare me the bullshit about being in love. It hasn't even been a year since we moved here. You don't know shit about being in love." He hissed through gritted teeth.

"And you do?" I hissed burning holes into his face with my own vicious glare. "Tell me Richie, what makes you the god damn expert? All those lil' one night stands in New York is the only type of love you know!"

"This ain't 'bout me!! It's about you!! You're the one that got yourself into this mess." He shouted from his seat, his hand balled into a fist resting of his lap.

"Ay Rich, don't start this mess again. Thats your sister no matter her choice." Eli's voice boomed from behind me.

"Maybe if you acted more like her brother she wouldn't of gotten herself knocked up!" Eli's eyes widened in shock, surprise, and many other emotions. He looked taken aback.

"What's going on out here?" My pop's voice was firm and demanding.

"Nuttin' to worry yourself about pop. Just that your daughter here, has made you a grampa! Isn't that exciting pop?" Richie spoke his tone laced with sarcasm. My pop didn't seem fazed by the news. Just then Forrest stepped out. His hands stiffly stuffed into his sweater pocket. Richie's glare went directly to Forrest. He stood up instantly at the sight of Forrest charging at him.

Pop stepped in front of Forrest just in time to give Richie a powerful shove, that sent him stumbling backwards into Eli's arms. "I just about had it with you boy!!" Pop snarled. I never seen pop get like this. "Who is her father?" His tone slightly calmer.

"Pop you can't be-" Richie was cut off by my very angry father.

"I asked you a question boy." My pop's voice rose above Richie's. Richie shrugged out of Eli's hold to stand up straighter.

"You are, pop." He said to my pop but stared daggers to the man behind him.

"That's right. I'm her father not you, not Eli! You have no authority to tell that girl how to live her life. Or if she's makin' a mistake. Do you want your sister to despise you? To cut you outta her life? I have no idea why she hasn't done so by now! You either learn to except it or keep that damn mouth of yours shut! Do you understand me?" Richie's jaw clenched. He stared at pop somewhat bewildered.

I looked to pop trying to figure out what to say but he beat me to it. "Forrest take her home." His hands on his hips and his head dipped low. Maybe pop was disappointed in me. I slowly walked towards Forrest. Pop grabbed my hand gently looking up at me offering a smile before he let me go on my way. I said my solemn goodbyes to aunt Gillian and cousin Angie.

Once Forrest and I were in the car the ride home was silent. I decided on small talk. "Pop didn't look upset about me bein' pregnant." I stated.

"I told him." Forrest grumbled. I looked to Forrest with furrowed brows.

"What did he say?" I asked curiously.

"He looked relieved. Thought I was gonna give him some bad news. he said he was happy for us." His lips twitched at the corners. I sunk into my seat. I was relieved myself that Forrest took it upon himself to tell my pop about my pregnancy. I placed my hand on my stomach and chuckled, which earned a sideways glance from Forrest. He reached over with his hand placing it on my stomach as well. We looked at each other for a few seconds speaking unspoken words with just our eyes. Maybe this unborn child would be a blessing to us. The start of a quieter country life

I didn't know how wrong that assumption would be....