Status: I hope you like it. It's my first story so if you have any advice for me please feel free to share

Babette's Story

Chapter 8: The Calm Before....

I entered the house as quietly as I could. Tip toeing to the steps that lead upstairs to my room. As I made it to the first step I was startled by the switching on of the living room light.

"Jesus Christ!!" I gasped grabbing my chest. My heart feeling as if it was going to pop out. I saw Richie sitting on the rocking chair wiping away something from his eyes. "You scared the crap outta me Richie!! I hissed.

He said nothing, but before I knew it I was in his arms. He squeezed me tightly letting out a deep breath that he seemed to be holding for a very long time.

"I'm so sorry Baps. I'm so so sorry. I don't know what came over me." He said as he took a step back from me still holding on to my arms.

It broke my heart to see him this way. He's my brother, my best friend, and even though I had every right to dislike him at this moment, I didn't want to see him like this. I gave him a small smile and hug him again. "Don't ever do it again. Alright?" I felt him nod his head. I turned away from ready to head upstairs when he stopped me.

"Baps I wanna talk to you." I sighed heavily ready to speak but he raised his hand to let him finish. "I feel like I owe you a reason as to why I don't want you around them Bondurant brothers." He lead me into the dining room and sat me down across from him.

"Richie I get it they're boys, and I must stay away from all boys." I said exasperated. He shook his head with a small smirk on his face.

"That's not it at all, although if you follow that rule my job as a big brother would be much easier." He said with a smirk and raised eyebrows that reminded me of Charlie when he was up to no good. "I've heard things at the mill, about them. People in this town keep to themselves so I find it wise to listen when they actually speak." I stare at him waiting for him to get to his point.

"They got some illegal business that they run outta that station. Heard they run illegal alcohol through here and across the county line." He said looking up at me through his lashes. "Then I also heard that the 'Bondurant Boys' are indestructible." He chuckled. I giggled as well but then I remembered that Angie had mentioned something about myths and legends. I have to find out what she meant by that.

"So they're invincible and sell illegal liquor. I don't see much danger in that Rich." I replied sarcastically.

"People here fear them and it aint take me long to notice that. All I'm saying is- if these towns people are scared of'em.... There's a reason." His dark eyes staring at me intensely. "I could be wrong but I'd be stupid not to keep my guard up."

"I've known Jack Bondurant for some time now, and he seems harmless. I never got a vibe off of him that made me feel like he was.... To be feared. He and his friend Cricket are good guys." I said looking down at my folded hands. "I kinda like it here Richie. I just need you to trust me."

"It's not that I don't trust you Babette. I'm just not familiar with the way things go out here. So I worry 'bout chu especially." His smile not reaching his eyes.

"You can't protect me forever, ya know? At some point I'm going to want my own family." I grinned at him knowing Richie didn't like discussing anything like that.

He laughed, "I know that. Tell ya what, I'll try to trust ya when it comes to picking your friends, BUT, I still want you to keep your distance from those other Bondurants. Just in case." He said with a more serious tone.

"And I can only promise to do my best Richie." Figuring that was as good an answer that he was gonna get, he accepted it. I hugged him and made my way towards the steps.

"Oh and Baps?" Richie's voice stopped me in my place. "Alcohol is not your best fragrance. Goodnight."

I continued walking upstairs finally making it to my room. I never realized just how tired I was until I saw my bed. I quickly got undressed and put on my night gown, far too tired to take a bath at the moment. Laying down looking up towards the ceiling images of kissing Forrest replaying in my mind. I touched my lips at the thought remembering just how soft his lips were. I couldn't help the smile that spread across my face.

It was gonna be pretty hard to keep my end of the bargain I made with Richie. All I could do was think of Forrest since the day we arrived in this county. Now I shared a kiss with the man and I hoped that it would happen again sometime. I fell asleep dreaming of Forrest. What is it about him that keeps me so intrigued?