Status: I hope you like it. It's my first story so if you have any advice for me please feel free to share

Babette's Story

Chapter 7: Liquid Courage

I sat at the bar as Forrest got me ice, never asking for an explanation about my face. Forrest busied himself wiping down the counters. I sat there replaying the smack over and over again. I placed my head in both hands taking a deep breath hoping it would release the tension. I was startled by a jar being slammed down in front of me. The odor of the drink was very strong. Looking from the jar to Forrest I asked "What is it?"

"It'll numb the pain for a bit." He said as if it were the cure to everything. I hesitantly reached for the mason jar lifting it to my lips. The taste was just as bad as the smell. It was like taking a swig of rubbing alcohol burning all the way down.

"Ughhh, that's like swallowing fire!" I coughed trying to cool down the burn by sucking in air through my teeth. Forrest smirked and continued fixing up behind the counter. I tried taking another swig to see if it would burn less, but I was wrong. I pushed the mason jar aside.

"Has Jack been out long?" I asked.

"Yea." He answered in his deep raspy voice. Just then I noticed car headlights coming into the station. I jumped off the barstool stammering a little walking over to the window. My eyes widened at the sight of my pop and Eli stepping out our Chevy. Quickly turning to Forrest with a panicked look on my face.

"Please don't tell'em I'm here." I looked through the window once more then back at Forrest. "Please?" I begged.

He stared at me through hooded eyes. He nodded towards his office. I walked quickly to his office in the back and crouched down in the corner. I listened as Forrest' heavy footsteps made its way towards the screen door. I tried to hear what was being said but they were speaking too low. As the screen door opened I heard my pop's voice.

"If she does come 'round.... Can you tell her to c'mon home?" My pop asked. He sounded really worried.

"Sure will." Forrest grumbled. I wanted to run out and hug my father because it broke my heart how worried he sounded, but I couldn't go home. I needed time away from Richie. So wrapped up in my own thoughts, I never heard Forrest step into his office.

"They're gone." He mumbled.

"Thanks for that Forrest." I whispered. He nodded his head. I walked back to the bar deciding to to take another sip from the mason jar. This time I welcomed the burn.

"Your daddy seemed really worried 'bout chu." He said as he walked over and sat in the barstool next to where I stood.

"I know he is. I just don't want to be around them right now." I said staring up at the ceiling feeling the sting of tears threatening to spill over. I bravely took a big gulp from the mason jar, shaking my head from side to side as if it would extinguish the burn in my chest. "I said something in the heat of the moment that I regret sayin'..... Although what I said was uncalled for, what Richie did, was unexpected." My tears spilled over betraying me.

Forrest was quiet listening to me let it all out. I turned to look at him not realizing just how close he was. We were a few inches apart. My eyes wandering from his eyes, to his nose, down to those full pouty lips. My breathing quickened. I don't know what came over me. Maybe it was the alcohol I consumed, or the events that took place today. When my lips met his all was forgotten. It took a moment for Forrest to respond to my sudden attack but he did. Placing his rough hands on either side of my face. Our lips moving in unison. He sucked on my bottom lip causing me to moan into his mouth. So many thoughts running through my mind. That's when I realized 'I'm making out with Forrest Bondurant'. I pulled away abruptly slightly out of breath, as he tried to steady his.

"I'm sorry, I..I don't know what came over me." I gave a breathy apology.

"S'alright. Must be the the moonshine kicking in." He chuckled deeply. I stared at Forrest his face giving nothing away. Not the slightest idea of what he was feeling, what he was thinking. Before I knew it I grabbed Forrest' face in my hands and kissed him again. His tongue exploring my mouth. I jumped back at the sound Of the screen door busting open. I turned around quickly to see Jack looking a little confused as to why I was here.

"What you doing here Babette?" Jack asked with a smile so big I couldn't help but smile too.

"I came to see you Jack. I kinda needed a friend to talk to." I said. Forrest stood up excusing himself and headed to his office. I stood at the station for about an hour more after Jack arrived.

"I think I should start heading home." I sighed. I filled him in on everything that happened. I found it easy to talk to Jack.

"I'll drive ya home, it's late. Hey Forrest I'm gon' drive Babette home!" Jack shouted in the direction of Forrest' office. "Gimme a sec, I gotta go to the shed right quick." I gave him a nod and watched him walk out the diner. I walked to the back to say goodnight to Forrest. Butterflies in my stomach that fluttered fiercely with each step I took.

"Good night Forrest. Thank you again for today." He stared at me. Once again I had no clue what was going through his head. He just simply gave a nod. I smiled at him and started to walk away when he spoke.

"You can always stay.... If you want" I looked backed at him actually contemplating his offer. I knew I had been gone long enough and it was now time to face what was waiting at home. I blushed remembering our kiss and shook my head.

"As much as I would like to take you up on that, I think I should face my family now. Get it over with." I said looking down at my feet. "Bye Forrest."

I walked out the diner, down the porches steps, and into the waitng car. It was a quiet ride home and I was glad for it. It left me to my thoughts uninterrupted. I guess tonight was a night of many first. The first time Richie put a hand on me. The first time I drank moonshine. My first kiss. My first kiss was with Forrest Bondurant, that thought alone gave me a warm feeling. I said goodbye to Jack as he drove off. I stood in front of the door to the house and took one deep breath. I had no idea what I would be walking into. I just hoped it wasn't another argument.