Status: Comments make me update faster ;D

Firsts

Gift.

Summer.

“Foongus, Sludge Bomb!”

What anyone else would take for a tiny and very strangely colored mushroom reared up and shot three muddy brown bombs out of its mouth. The wild Watchog wasn’t fast enough, and the triplet of bombs hit; leaving a veil of smoke in their wake. Touko waited for the smoke to clear without shielding her eyes. She wanted to feel the slight sting of the fog. The small button mushroom Pokémon, stood alert. Its Pokeball colored cap raised high.

The Watchog lay sprawled out on the muddy forest floor; it had fainted. Touko smiled at her cheering Foongus. The little guy was the first to be beaten when she had challenged the Elite Four. He had been terribly depressed ever since. Touko was troubled, to say the least. So she thought maybe increasing Foongus’ level would make him happier. Touko bent down to receive the hopping Foongus into her arms.

Foongus! Foon!” It cried in happiness, as it snuggled its cap into Touko’s cheek. For the first time in almost three days Touko found herself smiling along with her Pokémon. She hugged the Mushroom Pokémon gently. Her Foongus had always been very affectionate, loving hugs and to sleep with her at night. She thought of him as the baby of her Pokémon family.

“Good job, Fonngus.” Touko grinned at him. Foongus continued to cheer joyfully; he was getting too excited and Touko instinctively held his wriggling body at arm’s length. Sure enough, Foongus took a few shuddering breaths before sneezing little puffs of purple and green powder. Touko held her breath and pinched her nose shut as the miniature clouds wafted over her. Sleeping or getting poisoned right now would not have been ideal.

“Are you still alright to battle?” Touko asked, once the Effect Spore clouds had passed. Foongus nodded its cap vigorously.

“Alright then, let’s—“

There was a loud snapping sound behind her. She turned so quickly her ponytail made a sharp swishing sound. There were rumors of wild Scolipede in this forest. Touko’s hand reached at her belt and felt her heart sink. She only had Foongus and Zebstrika with her, her Samurott and Lampent, who would be able to take care of any wild Scolipede, where at home with her mother. Touko swallowed hard, and gathered up her Foongus in her arms.

“Whoever’s there; come out!” She called in a much stronger voice then she felt. She heard more twigs snap and more underbrush crunch beneath feet. It was only one pair, wasn’t it?

“Foongus! Come back!” Touko whispered to her fleeing Pokémon. The little guy had jumped out of her arms in a fit of courageousness. Foongus stood in front of her; like a guard, and blew puffs of violent purple powder out of its nose. Foongus hopped up and down and from side to side; its signal it was ready for a fight. Touko adjusted her hat.

“Alright, Foongus, get ready for Energy Ball!” She called loudly, feeling the familiar battle flame blaze in her chest.

“NO, WAIT!”

That was human voice. A familiar human voice. Touko hardly believed.

“N?” Touko asked, confused. What brought him here; way out in the country? Coming through the trees she saw the familiar green tea colored hair and the smiling, slightly flushed face. Touko’s heart felt like it was floating, and she wanted to run forward and hug him; but her boots seemed stuck to the muddy forest floor. They stood, very awkwardly, a few feet apart. Neither N nor Touko spoke, but both with a faint blush across their face. Touko looked around the forest nervously; she tried to look anywhere but his beautiful storm cloud eyes.

“I… Uh… I brought you something.” N said sheepishly, brandishing a rather large wicker basket. Touko hadn’t noticed the basket at first, but her curiosity drew her towards a flushed N.

“What is it?” Touko asked brightly; she loved presents, and surprises for that matter. Touko felt her face flame at the contents of the basket. It was overflowing with berries, most of which seemed to be soft pink Pecha berries. Had N known these where her favorite?

“I love these—“ She started with a disbelieving smile. This was her first gift from anyone other than her mother, Bianca or Cheren. Her first gift from the opposite sex, too. Her heart leapt in her ribcage.

“I know.” N said abruptly, his face becoming more and more florid by the second, “I—I always noticed that you would eat Pechas after our battles. I assumed you like them…” She couldn’t believe he remembered such a little thing about her.

Touko looked at her feet sinking into the moist forest floor. She didn’t know what was more embarrassing; that he brought her a gift or that he was so thoughtful of her that he knew what her favorite berries were.

“I-I have some others, if you don’t feel like eating Pechas. They’re all sweet, I’m afraid. But I’m sure I can find more if you—“N was sputtering quickly, but he stopped when he saw that Touko was laughing. Touko thought all his formalness was funny. There was no real need to act all goofy, even though her stomach was buzzing wildly. They were friends after all, right?

“No, N. They’re fine, great actually. You don’t have to be so nervous.” Touko grinned at the red faced King. She tipped the lip of the basket slightly to peer inside; a slight smirk on her face.

“You have a lot through; you act like I eat like a Snorlax.” She said, swallowed in a fresh wave of giggles. N shook his head quickly, causing his low ponytail to whip around his face.

“No, No. I never meant to offended you, I—“ N started to say, but was cut off by Touko’s slim finger against his lips.

“No worries, N. We’ll just need some help eating them all.” She grinned widely, taking notice of the boy’s renewed blush and wide eyes at her gesture.

“Do you have your Pokémon with you?” She asked, holding a battered Pokeball between her index and middle finger.

“Yes. But, I’m supposed to relay a message to you.” N said swiftly, noticing how the girl twirled the not yet expanded Pokeball between her fingers; ready to release her Pokémon and devour all the berries. Touko raised a questioning eyebrow.

“Yeah? From who?” She said, narrowing her cerulean eyes.

“Your mother,” N said, “She wants you to come home for lunch, before you eat all of these.” He grinned mischievously, giving the basket a small shake. Touko sighed heavily, and then called Foongus back to his Pokeball.

“Damn. I really wanted those berries.” Touko sighed, and started walking down her well beaten training path. She heard N chuckle softly, before his footsteps ran to catch up with hers. They walked back to Nuvema Town; their footsteps perfectly in sync.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment, Rec., Subscribe?

B xx