Status: Active

Hold On Till May

Prologue

I walked up the drive way to the house Mike shared with his older brother, Vic. I had a day off work and knew that they would most likely be sat at home on their asses doing nothing.

I stopped in front of the door and smoothed out the creases in my top and shorts, before knocking on the door. I stood there for a while, waiting, until knocking again. I listened in, to see if I could hear any movement what so ever, coming from inside, but once again there was nothing. I frowned and walked over to the lounge window and cupped my hands around my eyes so I could look into the room. Empty.

I went back to the front door and knocked again, when their neighbour, a women who was most likely in her mid-forties, came out.

“They’re not in, sweetie.” She said.

“Do you know when they left?” I asked, walking closer to the fence.

“Early hours this morning.” She answered.

“Well, do you know when they will be back?”

“I’m afraid not. But it looked like they might be gone for some time.”

“Huh? What do you mean?” I frowned.

“Well, the young boys looked to be carrying their instruments and had multiple suitcases with them.” She answered.

“Oh, right. I’ll just give them a call shortly.” I said, with a nod, stepping away from the fence.

“Thank you.” I called out as I started making my way back down the road.

How could they have left without telling me? I thought we told each other everything, I mean that’s what best friends do right? I guess I was wrong.

Once I was back at my place, I ran up to my room, without a hello to my mom. As soon as I was in my room, I slammed the door shut and threw myself onto my bed. I buried my face into my pillow. I felt tears well up in my eyes, causing me to blink them away as I turned over on my bed so I could look up at the ceiling.

I grabbed hold of my phone and searched through all my contacts until I reached Mikes number. I dialled the number and brought the phone to my ear. I listened as it rang, expecting him to pick up after the third ring like he normally does, but instead it went straight to voicemail. I sighed and ended the call. Maybe he wasn’t in the same room as his phone right now. I waited a few minutes before trying again, but once again, I got voicemail.

Frowning, I tried one last time, before deciding to leave a message.

“Uh, hey Mike, it’s me, Sophia. I tried calling round at your place earlier, but the lovely lady who lives next door told me you had gone away. Something about taking your instruments with you or something. How come you never told me, Mike? Anyway, once you get this, can you call me back please? I need to know where you are and that you’re okay. Alright, well bye.”

I sighed as I brought the phone away from my ear and frowned.

I spent the rest of that day just lying in bed, watching films, occasionally going downstairs to get a drink or some food and checking my phone, until I eventually fell asleep.

Waking up the next morning, I reached for my phone, to see that I still didn’t have a message or anything. Once again causing me to frown.

Sitting up in bed, I went through my contacts again, landing on Mike’s number and called him. But just like yesterday, it went straight to voicemail.

My mind was racing, why was he ignoring me?

I decided to try and ring Vic. Surely he would answer? Once I landed on his number, I pressed call and held my phone to my ear as it rang. After the second ring he picked up.

“Hello?”

“Uh, hey Vic, it’s Sophia.” I said, nervously.

“Uh, oh, hey… Sophia.” He sounded shocked that I had called. “What’s up?” He asked.

“Is Mike with you?” I asked.

“Uh, yeah, but he’s asleep right now.” He said.

“Oh right. Well once he wakes up, can you get him to call me back please? I was trying yesterday and got no answer, the same with this morning.”

“Yeah, sure.” I could hear the uneasiness in his voice.

“Thanks.” I muttered. “Oh, and Vic?”

“Yeah?” He questioned.

“Where are you guys? Your neighbour told me you left with a load of bags yesterday morning.”

“Oh, uh. We’re uh, we’ve just gone on holiday for a little bit.” He stuttered.

“Oh, well okay. When will you be back?” I asked.

“I’m not sure. In a couple of weeks maybe? Depends.” He said.

“Depends? On what?”

“Uh, nothing. Look, Sophia, I have to go now, but I’ll get Mike to call you later. Bye.”

He hung before I ever had the chance to question him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's a new story of mine, let me know if I should keep it or not.

Becky