Forbidden

SIX

“Jason DiMera?”

Jason looked at the awestruck girl. His mind had yet to process just who it was, but the moment his eyes met her pools of blue, it hit him instantly.

“Shit, I wasn’t even watching where I was going. I’m so sorry,” He said, surprising even himself at the gentility of his voice. “Are you okay?”

Jessa looked him over for a moment, her breath a little shaky from the excitement of the situation at hand. “Yeah, I’m okay. Are you? Your head is bleeding pretty good."

Jason winced as he felt the wound on his forehead. He motioned for Jessa to stand aside so he could rise from the cramped driver’s seat. She did, and he advanced from the vehicle.

“I think I’m alright; just a little banged up from that damn tree.” Jason pointed to the tree currently standing in the way of his car. Jessa nodded meekly but still seemed concerned with Jason’s well-being, as he pressed on the laceration to try and make the bleeding stop.

“You should really get that looked at. Jesus, what were you even doing? You swerved right into my lane like a maniac!” She exclaimed suddenly, just now remembering who caused this and how he did it.

Jason flinched a little at her tone but was nonetheless amused at her concern. “I dozed off. I didn’t get much sleep last night. Look, I said I was sorry.”

“I know that,” Jessa began, still looking at the gash indented on his forehead. “I’m just a little wound up. I’ve never been in an accident before.”

“Just relax, okay? Your car is fine and--”

“My car?” Jessa questioned, taken aback. “Do you honestly believe that I’m thinking of my car right now?”

“Uh,” Jason shrugged. “I don’t know?”

“Boys; I swear to God, I will never understand you. You’re standing here, bleeding from a car accident, and you think I’m worried about my car? No, dumb ass, that’s not what I’m worried about.”

Jason just looked at her, his expression not changing in the least bit, as he took a bit of time to wonder just what exactly she was worried about. She certainly couldn’t be concerned about him. He was just some scum bag delinquent and she was obviously wasting her time with his asinine tomfoolery. No, there certainly wasn’t a single reason in the world that Jessa Davis would be that concerned with Jason DiMera’s well-being.

“Well, what are you so worried about, then?”

“Jason, you just crashed into a tree. I think it’s pretty self-explanatory that you’re who I’m worried about. Does it hurt a lot?” Jessa stood on her tip-toes to observe the wound a little better. “It’s not too bad, I guess. It probably hurts worse than it looks.”

“Yeah,” Jason nodded. He tried to swallow down the words that have been plaguing him since he realized just who the driver of the other car was. He shook his head and threw all caution to the wind. “Hey, listen, I just want to apologize for what happened earlier today. It was all blown so far out of proportion by Scott and I didn’t mean for you to get involved like that.”

Jessa only looked at Jason, though a small smile was slowly becoming visible. She definitely wasn’t used to someone caring about her feelings in such a way; most certainly not someone like Jason DiMera.

“Oh, well that’s very nice of you. I agree it was blown out of proportion. Scott would never have done anything, though. I don’t think he’s ever been in a fight. He was just trying to show off for me and all the other cool kids,” Jessa replied, accentuating the ‘cool’ part with a roll of her eyes.

“I kinda figured. He’s a little maggot. No offense to you or anything, but you could really do a lot better than him,” Jason said, gaining a blush from the other.

Jessa giggled, not really sure of what else to do. She wasn’t expecting this kind of disposition from a guy like Jason and felt a refreshing wave of admiralty toward him.

“You’re not like your other friends, are you?” She questioned as her eyes met his. Jason wanted to tell her how wrong she was for her judgmental behavior; she didn’t know Brandon or Benji, and yet she assumed they were horrible people just because they’re somewhat withdrawn, wear dark clothing, and smoke a lot.

“I think,” He began. “Maybe sometime you should break yourself away from that social bubble you think you’re required to follow, and embrace the real you; the one who isn’t told what’s right and can make her own decisions. You know what I’m saying?”

Jessa let out a tiny chuckle and sighed, looking back to the wound on his head. “You should really get that checked out. I wouldn’t want it to get infected or something.”

Jason grinned and nodded. Jessa returned the expression and slowly turned on her heel, making her way back toward her dormant vehicle. Jason watched the girl’s every move, sizing her up from top to bottom. He halted his scrutiny, though, when Jessa stopped to turn back and look at him.

“Listen, I know we’ve hit some sort of breakthrough here. You’re a nice guy and I’m sorry if I’ve been nasty to you anytime before this.”

“Don’t worry about it, Blondie,” Jason returned.

“I also wanted to tell you not to take it personally if I see you at school and don’t say anything or even acknowledge your presence.” Her head dropped at that.

Jason sighed, nodding. “It’s cool. Maybe I’ll get lucky and we’ll get into another almost car accident sometime.”

Jason even surprised himself with that last part but was rewarded with a bright smile from the blonde as she bid her farewell and reentered her vehicle. He was thoroughly satisfied with the outcome of what started as a dreadful situation and proceeded to take his original position in his car.

He was almost immediately met with a text, and his chipper attitude remained when he read the message and began his reply to Brandon, who was wondering just what in the world was taking Jason so long. He threw his phone in the passenger seat and started his car once again, pushed the gear in reverse, and eased the slightly dinged up vehicle from where it was pressed against the tree.

Image


Brandon and Benji were already sitting out in front of their house by the time Jason pulled up. They held their position on the polished front patio as Jason exited his car and sauntered up to the stone walkway to where they sat.

“What are you all smiles about?” Brandon asked, as soon as Jason sat down on the other side of Ben.

“And what the hell happened to your head?” Benji asked.

“Oh, this?” Jason lifted his hand to lightly touch the wound. “Nothing, I just hit it when I was getting back in the car on my way over.”

Jason studied his friends and was pleased to see they both bought his lie. The smile from before found its way back, as he thought about the day’s events, and he knew right then and there that he wasn't going to forget it anytime soon.