Just One Look

Four Words (To Choke Upon)

“Welcome to Heathrow Airport.” The overhead speakers announced as the girls walked out into the arrivals area.

“God I feel like shit. I probably look like shit too.” Paula complained as she walked toward the baggage carousels, looking for her bag.

“I bet the airline’s lost my baggage.” Kate mumbled as she examined the spinning whirl of bags.

“Oh my god.”

“What now Evey?” Loz grunted as she attempted to wrestle her extremely large bag off the carousel. Why the hell did she have to pack so much?

“That’s Frank Iero.” Evey whispered in a barely audible tone.

“Wait, that’s the guy from My Chemical Romance, right?” Paula asked.

The three other girls looked at her incredulously.

“I thought you didn’t like My Chem Paula?” Loz asked trying to conceal her laughter.

“No I don’t. I swear. I just know them all from having to listen to Evey go on about them.” She said trying to defend herself and her reputation.

Evey walked up to her and linked arms with her.

“Oh your secrets out now. Its okay, I won’t tell anyone.” Evey teased.

“My bag!” Kate screamed as she launched herself towards the carousel and started to tug violently at her bag, which had just appeared and was moving rapidly.

“Here I’ll help.” Loz said as she started to pull as well. The bag seemed to be stuck on something, and wouldn’t come free.

“Yeah me too. It better than standing gawking at some star.” Paula said as she started to help the girls.

Evey ignored the grunts of her friends as she watched Frank pull his baggage off the carousel. She didn’t care if she was being weird. It was the guitarist from her favourite band. Its not like she’d ever get a chance like this again.

“Oh my god, the whole bands with him!” Evey squealed as the other band members came around the corner.

“WHERE?” Paula and Loz demanded at the same time, dropping Kate’s bag and staring at the band.

Kate fell over when they let go of the bag and unfortunately; her bag fell on top of her.

“Help?” Kate asked, as she was pinned beneath the bag.

Paula and Loz started laughing and rushed over to help her up.

But Evey just stood there; staring at the band she loved so much.

Platonically, of course.

***

“Right we’ve unpacked now so lets go out!” Paula yelled as she entered Loz and Kate’s shared Hotel room.

Evey entered not so long after, yet she was still a little star-struck from seeing My Chemical Romance.

“Hey Evey, how does a drink sound to you?” Loz asked.

Evey was startled and looked up wildly, wondering who had asked her a question.

“Earth to Evey.” Kate called, laughing.

“God, your so childish sometimes.’ Paula said to Kate, referring to her comment. ‘Evey we’re going out in a couple of minutes. So, go put something nice on.”

“Okay.” Was all Evey said as she walked out of the room, back to her and Paula’s room.

“What is up with her?” Loz asked.

“She’ll be right once she gets a couple of cocktails in her. Come on lets get dressed.” Kate said as she ushered Paula out of their room.

Later while Kate was finishing straightening her shoulder-length blonde hair, Loz came and sat beside her.

“How you holding up?” Kate asked her best friend.

Loz sighed as she applied her last coat of mascara and adjusted one of her corkscrew curls.

“I miss Mitch, Kate. A lot. What did I do wrong?”

Kate turned off her straightening iron and sat down next to Loz.

“You didn’t do anything wrong babe. You can’t help it if that’s the way he felt. Maybe it was a good thing you found out when you did. Because now you can go out in Europe and flirt with all the little European hotties.”

“Yeah I suppose your right.” Loz laughed.

“Of course I'm right. I'm always right. Uh, just don’t bring any Italian Stallions back to the room, okay?”

Loz erupted into a fit of laughing so hard she started snorting.

“Okay. Oh and if I do bring someone back to the room and I start drooling again, can you hit me?”

“Ha, ha, of course. Now we’ve just got to wait for Paula to finish getting ready.” Kate said as she stood up and turned on the television. She flicked through the channels trying to find something interesting to watch. Loz came over and sat next to her. And then they came across the local news channel.

“And in other news today, an insider had informed us of terror threats inside Parliament House today. There are numerous reports that the Prime Minister himself has received direct terror threats, unless he removes British Armed Forced from Iraq.

‘There has been no official press release from the Government yet, but in some countries such as America and Australia, London’s Terror Threat level has gone up 3 levels. Although, they are not warning tourists to discontinue their holidays here. Yet.” Kate and Loz listened to the overly made up news presenter intently, watching every movement her ruby red lips made.

“Oh my god.” Was all Loz could say.

“Hey, what are you worrying about? Seriously? We have had so many threats made back home, and nothing has ever happened there.” Kate reassured her.

“Yeah, you’re right. I'm being paranoid for nothing. Come on lets go out and get drunk.” Loz laughed as she grabbed her bag and made towards the front door.

“Oh when we go to Amsterdam, can we please stop at one of their cafes for some ‘Brownies’?” Kate begged.

“Absolutely. I'm going to green out so much.’ Loz chuckled.

“That’s my girl.”