Just One Look

Six Ways To Nothing

“I'm so fucking tired.” Mikey whined as they wandered around the streets of London.

“Get a grip. Oh an by the way, I think I owe you a punch for forgetting the condition of our bet.” Bob laughed as he raised his right arm, poised for action.

“No that’s so not fair Bob, that bet ended yesterday.” Mikey yelled as he hid behind Frank.

“Why are you hiding behind me retard? I'm the shortest one here.” Frank laughed, as Mikey dodged Bob’s playful punched.

“Stop hitting me! You do realize I need this arm to play my guitar tonight?’ Mikey yelled as Bob finally managed to land a punch. ‘Gee!”

“Hey Bob, cut it out.” Snapped Gerard.

“Whoa, Gee, it was just some fun. You know I’d never hurt lil’ Mikey.” Bob said, his brow furrowed at Gerard’s harshness.

“Yeah well I didn’t get much sleep last night with Frank snoring the entire way here and I really, really want a beer.”

“Well don’t take it out on us. Seriously, we love you and understand how hard it is sometimes for you with dealing with your problems, but geez, you can’t keep taking your frustrations out on us.” Frank snapped back at Gee. The four of them were in the middle of the sidewalk arguing while they waited for Ray to come out of the bookstore.

“Yeah but you don’t have all the added pressure of the media focusing on you and your issues. I mean fuck, you don’t have to worry about the media because they don’t care about you. They only want to interview me, and take photographs of me, and all the little girls want to marry me, and all the shit like that. God, you don’t understand.” Gee yelled and when he had finished, he turned his back on Frank and the others.

Maybe it was a self-preservation thing, Gerard was using by turning his backs, but it prevented him from seeing the hurt on his friends’ faces that he had caused.

“You don’t think we get bothered by the media?” Frank said softy, but firmly.

“Frank, leave it. Gerard’s just got his periods.” Mikey said as he glared at Gerard.

Frank ignored him.

“You don’t think we get bothered by the media?” He repeated again, this time louder and harsher.

Gerard turned and faced Frank. “Yeah, that’s what I said, didn’t I?

Frank turned to Bob and plastered a fake smile on his face and asked in a sweet voice, “Hey Bob, Do remember that time when I flew Jamia out to visit us when we were on tour and I took her to that swanky restaurant?”

“Uh…yeah.” Bob answered, showing slight displease at being in the middle of their argument.

“Can you remember anything special about that night?”

“Uh…wasn’t that the night you were going to propose to Jamia?”

Frank turned and looked Gerard full in the face again.

“Yes, great memory, Bob. But, what happened that night that stopped me?” Frank asked glaring at Gerard.

“Uh…didn’t you get down on one knee and then before you could say anything, two photographers ran into the restaurant. And you pretended that you were searching for something under the table…I think.”

Frank smiled smugly at Gerard before continuing.

“That’s right Bob. I never got the chance to propose either, because the next week she broke up with me because she was sick of me being on tour without any real commitment. So yes Gerard. Our lives do get fucked up by the media.”

The four of them stood in silence, none were sure of what to say.

Finally Ray came out of the shop, arms laden with books, totally oblivious of the fight, which had just occurred.

“Lets go get Brunch!” Ray suggested flamboyantly.

“Fuck that I'm going back to the hotel room.” Frank growled as he walked off.

Bob and Mikey followed him neither saying a word. Gerard just stood there sulking.

“What the fuck, have you done now Gee?” Ray asked in exasperation.

With one look at Ray’s angry face, Gerard started walking in the opposite direction.

“Fine just don’t forget we have a freaking show tonight!” Ray screamed over the heads of the shoppers filing past.

This was going to be one tense show tonight.