Status: Complete

Learn How to Play the Game

A Date

I bit my lip as I pushed the door open to the café my eyes scanning the room for Jack, the minute my eyes landed on his I felt a smile creep across my lips. I walked towards him and sat in the seat opposite shredding my jackets and placing my bag on the floor nervously.

“Hey.” He grinned.

“Hello.” I licked my bottom lip.

“You alright?” he chuckled and I nodded.

“It’s been a while since I’ve been on a first date.” I admitted as I spun the coaster on the table around.

“Really?” his eyebrows shot up in surprise, “but you’re beautiful.”

“And you are a charmer,” I chuckled.

“So what was your last first date like?” he asked and I bit my lip remembering Harry, “or maybe that’s a little personal for a first date?”

“No it’s alright.” I shrugged, “we went to dinner and then a gig.”

“The gig any good?” he asked and I nodded grinning.

“The best.” I bit my lip.

“Who’d you see?” he cocked his head to the side.

“Ed Sheeran.” I told him and he scrunched up his face, “what? You don’t like Ed Sheeran?”

“He’s a bit overrated.” He shrugged, “I’m not really into that sort of music.”

“Wow. What are you into?” I asked him curiously, I’d never met anyone who didn’t like Ed.

“Lil Wayne, Drake and that.” He shrugged.

“So Rolling Stones?” I asked and he made a face, “the Beatles.”

“No.” he shook his head laughing and I pursed my lips together.

“Coldplay?” I asked biting my bottom lip.

“Nah, it’s all a bit…” he trailed off shrugging, “so is that who you like?”

“Well I like a lot of music but yea,” I nodded, “three of my favourites. I don’t suppose you’ve ever heard of David Ford either?”

“No.” he shook his head, “why?”

“My favourite song.” I said quietly remembering how Harry loved him just like I did.

“I’ll give him a listen, what does he sound like?” he asked.

“Passenger, Matt Corby and Ed Sheeran I guess.” I bit my lip, “so I guess you probably won’t like it.”

“Probably not.” He chuckled, “it’s just music though right?”

The waitress arrived as I was considering just upping and leaving right there and then. I ordered a cup of tea as Jack ordered a black coffee.

“So what else are you into?” he asked.

“I’m a stylist,” I shrugged, “so fashion sort of.”

“Sort of?” he asked.

“Well I wouldn’t say I’m big on what is on trend and more on how clothes reflect mood. I like clothing that reflects the people who wear them.” I shrugged, “if that makes sense?”

“Sort of,” he nodded, “a stylist?”

“Yea,” I nodded, “I dress One Direction at the moment.”

“That kid!” his eyes widened, “I thought I recognized him!”

“You like them?” I asked a smile forming.

“They’re alright, they sing that song,” he tapped his fingers on the table as he thought, “I know that it’s a little bit frightening we might as well be playing with lightning, right?”

“No,” I fought back a giggle, “that’s the wanted. I guess they are similar.”

“A boyband is a boyband.” He shrugged, “so what’s their song?”

“Baby you light up my world like nobody else, the way that you flip your hair gets me overwhelmed but when you smile at the ground it ain’t hard to tell, you don’t know, oh oh, you don’t know you’re beautiful.” I sung softly and trailed off.

“Wow.” He blinked, “you’re voice is amazing.”

“Thanks.” I blushed, “but yea, that’s their song.”

“Yea I remember it now.” He nodded, “so how did you land that job?”

“I’d love to think it was for my talents,” I chuckled, “but my best friend is in the band. Well all of my best friends are.”

“Your best friends are One Direction?” his eyebrows shot up and I nodded biting my lip, “wow. So you’re kind of famous?”

“Not really.” I shook my head, “just by association I guess.”

“Do people stop you for pictures?” he asked and I blushed.

“Only when I’m with the guys.” I bit my lip.

“Wait.” He cocked his head to the side, “did you date one of them?”

I nodded groaning inwardly. This was ridiculous.

“Which one?” he asked.

“Does it matter?” I asked and he shrugged.

“Just curious.” He told me as our drinks arrived.

“Can we talk about something else?” I asked and he looked at me curiously.

“Touchy subject?” he asked.

“Not really.” I bit my lip, “just people always seem to get hung up on it. I’m more than One Direction.”

“I see that.” He nodded, “you’re interesting though.”

“I am?” I raised an eyebrow at him, “how so?”

“You’re really hard to read.” He took a sip of his coffee.

“Thanks?” I chuckled, “so what about you. Why nursing?”

“I like the idea of saving someones life.” He shrugged, “my brother died when I was young and I’ve been obsessed with the idea of making sure someone doesn’t feel like I did.”

“Wow.” A small smile tugged at my lips, “that’s so nice.”

“Yea,” he shrugged, “it’s just me I guess.”

“So what do you do, other than that?” I asked.

“I’m studying to be a doctor.” He told me.

“Wow.” I nodded, “that’s amazing.”

“Thanks.” He played with his mug.

“So other than studying?” I asked.

“I watch a lot of films.” He chuckled, “if that counts?”

“Course it does.” I grinned, “I’m a bit of a tv series junkie myself. Ed and I have this thing about watching as many from a series as we possibly can.”

“Ed?” he asked and I bit my lip.

“Sheeran.” I looked at my tea.

“I feel like a dick now.” He winced and I laughed.

“Don’t.” I shrugged, “we just don’t like that same music. No big deal.”

I said it and even as he grinned at me I knew I was lying. If he couldn’t understand my favourite songs and enjoy my favourite bands how was he meant to understand me? Music was a part of who I was. I looked at him and he was amazing and as he made reference to a fresh prince of bel air joke I couldn’t decide if it was worth it. Worth moving past the fact he hated the rolling stones, the beatles and practically every other band or musician that defined who I was. I then remembered Harry saying Taylor didn’t like them either, if he could forget about it then I could. If Harry Styles could do it I could too.

“Was it the one with the ridiculous dimples?” Jack asked as we walked out the shop and I rolled my eyes.

“I’m not telling you.” I shook my head laughing lightly.

“So will I see you again?” he asked as we flagged a taxi down.

“Maybe.” I smiled softly.

“I know I didn’t take you to a gig or to dinner but did this first date beat your last?” he asked a grin on his face like he thought he knew the answer.

I laughed as I got in the taxi avoiding his question.

“I’ll text you.” I told him as I closed the door.

No was the answer. Not even slightly. There was absolutely no comparison and I groaned closing my eyes as I tried not to remember how happy Harry had made me that night. The taxi pulled up outside the hotel we were staying in and I paid before getting out and heading straight to the bar pulling out my phone and texting Niall.

I’m in the bar. Come down?

The question wasn’t needed. I’m always up for bar time.

I smiled at his reply and ordered a jack and coke and a beer before walking over to a booth and waited for my irish companion to join me.

“So?” he asked as he sat opposite me and I pursed my lips together, “that bad?”

“It wasn’t bad.” I shook my head.

“But?” he asked taking a gulp of his beer.

“He doesn’t like the Rolling Stones, or the Beatles or even Coldplay.” I furrowed my eyes together.

“Right.” He blinked a few times.

“He doesn’t like Ed Sheeran or music like that.” I bit my lip.

“Okay.” He nodded taking a drink.

“I’m being stupid right?” I asked and he shrugged.

“Is this important to you? That he likes the same music as you?” Niall asked and I sighed.

“I don’t know.” I pursed my lips together, “I never had to think about it before when I was with…”

“Harry.” Niall finished and gave me a sympathetic smile, “because you two have identical tastes.”

“We don’t.” I pouted, “he likes mumford and sons and I don’t.”

“He doesn’t love them though.” Niall pointed out, “he doesn’t care either way about them.”

I groaned and let my head fall on the table.

“Did he make you laugh?” Niall asked and I nodded, “did you have fun?”

I held my hand up and waved it from side to side.

“Sort of?” he asked, “why?”
“He was questioning me about you guys.” I huffed grabbing my drink and downing it.

“Really?” he laughed and I narrowed my eyes.

“I felt like I was being pumped for information.” I pouted, “that wasn’t even the worst part.”

“What was?” he asked curiously.

“At the end of the date he asked if it had been better than my last first date.” I sighed.

“Harry?” Niall asked and I nodded.

“Of course.” I muttered.

“I’m guess no?” Niall chuckled and I moaned.

“Harry took me on the perfect date.” I sighed.

“He knew you though.” Niall pointed out.

“I guess.” I sighed and noticed Harry walking our way.

“Niall,” he avoided looking at me, “I’m going out, will you cover for me?”

“Where are you going?” I asked

“Will you?” he asked ignoring me.

“Sure.” He nodded, “where are you off?”

“I just need to see Taylor.” He sighed.

“Everything alright?” Niall asked.

“I hope so.” He shrugged before walking off.

“It was nice seeing you too!” I called out after him and frowned as I looked at Niall, “I hate him.”

“You don’t.” Niall rolled his eyes, “weird though huh?”

“Yea.” I nodded biting the side of my lip, “I wonder what’s wrong.”

Niall shrugged and I let out another groan about my life being so sucky at the moment.

“So will you go on a second date with him?” Niall asked and I moaned.

“I don’t know.” I huffed.

“What’s going on?” Zayn slid in next to me draping his arm around my shoulders.

“Blair just got back from her date.” Niall grinned and I pouted.

“Not good?” he asked and I sighed.

“It was alright.” I pursed my lips, “but just alright.”

“No butterflies?” he asked biting his lip and I shook my head, “could there be?”

“He’s not curly haired,” I mumbled, “I kept comparing them.”

“Course you were.” Zayn shrugged, “it’s normal. Do you not think Harry compares Taylor to you?”

I snorted and Niall sniggered.

“We’re polar opposites.” I laughed.

“Are you?” Zayn asked, “we don’t know anything about her Blair. Have you had a proper conversation with her?”

“No.” I pursed my lips together, “she tried to talk to me about Harry.”

“Does that really surprise you?” Zayn raised an eyebrow at me, “you two were idolized in the press for how perfect you were together, do you not think she’d want to ask you about it?”

“She should speak to Harry not me.” I downed my drink, “she’s got no right demanding information from me.”

“No she doesn’t.” Zayn nodded, “but maybe you need to give her a chance yea?”

“I hate being saintly though.” I groaned, “I hate trying to be nice.”

“You are nice Blair.” Niall grinned, “you’re lovely.”

“I’m not, but thank you.” I smiled softly at Niall as my phone buzzed.

Jack Do you want to go for lunch tomorrow?

“Fuck.” I groaned.
♠ ♠ ♠
There has been a lot of drama in the past few chapters so this is a bit of relief from it. What did you guys think of Jack? Or Harry ignoring Blair?

I've been sick again today and wrote a chapter that is either really good or really bad, I can't decide which yet.

In an ideal (yet realistic) world how do you want the next few chapters to pan out? I'm intrigued.

Peace.Love.HarryStyles