Status: Complete

Learn How to Play the Game

Baby steps?

“I’m sorry babe.” I stroked her hair softly as her head rested in my lap.

“I knew this was going to happen.” She pursed her lips together, “I knew how much he liked you, I should have trusted my gut instinct that he still wanted you.”

“I don’t get why he’s hung up on me.” I shook my head and Jenny chuckled.

“Who wouldn’t be?” she looked up at me, “you are an amazing person Blair. If I wasn’t so straight I might fancy you myself.”

“I’d definitely fancy you if I wasn’t straight.” I told her and she sighed.

“I don’t want to talk to him.” She groaned, “even to break up with him.”

“I know.” I sighed, “but you just have to sit him down and lay down everything you know. Let him explain, you might be surprised by what you hear.”

“Why do you say that?” she asked and I bit my lip, “come on Blair, what’s going on with you lately?”

“I say that because Harry was also very drunk when he kissed his ex girlfriend.” I bit my lip, “but he still loved me.”

A grin spread across Jen’s lips and she sat up.

“Are you two back together?” she asked.

“What?” I gaped, “no.”

“Liar.” She pointed at me smirking, “that’s why you’re never here. You’re sneaking around with him. Why? Why won’t you tell people?”

“Nothing is going on.” I shifted uncomfortable.

“You are such a bad liar you know that?” she chuckled, “so why not tell people?”

“Jen.” I whined and she chuckled forgetting her predicament.

“Tell me.” She put on a sad face, “my boyfriend is in love with you.”

“That was low.” I remarked and she shrugged.

“Tell me!” she bounced up and down before letting out a squeal as I nodded.

“You can’t breathe a word to anyone Jen.” I told her, “we haven’t told anyone.”

“Nobody?” she asked and I nodded, “why?”

“We, I….We.” I sighed, “time. We need to figure out if it’s going to work again.”

“How is it?” she asked and I couldn’t help the grin on my face, “that good?”

“Yea.” I nodded speaking softly, “I hate not being with him.”

“This makes me so happy.” She gushed and I laughed, “you look happy Blair.”

“I am.” I scrunched my face up, “I’m so cringe worthy at the moment. I just, I can’t get enough of him.”

“So what is there to figure out?” she asked and I bit my lip, “is it you?”

“I just don’t know.” I groaned, “how can I trust him again?”

“By not telling people that doesn’t solve that issue.” She pointed out and I scowled at her.

“I just need time.” I told her and she nodded.

“If that’s what you want.” She smiled laying her head back in my lap, “so Henry. What am I going to say to him?”

“What? How are you beginning?” I questioned as my phone buzzed.

“Will that be him?” she asked and I nodded which caused her to squeal.

“You and Niall are so freaking similar.” I muttered reaching for my phone and it was Harry.

My mum is coming to mine now, I’m cooking and I’ll make enough for you so come over whenever. Maybe we should tell her? If that’s alright with you? I miss you already, is that lame?

I smiled as I read his text biting my lip at the idea of telling his mum.

I’ll try and come over as soon as I can. I think we could tell her, explain we’re taking things slowly? It’s not lame, I miss you too.

“Does he want you back?” she asked.

“His mum is coming over, he’s cooking and we’re going to tell her we’re back together.” I told her and she smiled.

“Want some help deciding what to wear?” she asked and I smiled softly.

“Sure.” I agreed and she got up, I followed behind her, “it’s not a big deal what I wear. Anne has seen me in my pjammas, actually they were Harry’s not even mine so the outfit can be normal.”

“Sure.” She nodded her head stuck in my wardrobe.

She pulled on a light blue skater dress with a white belt and held it out to me. I took it from her and ran my fingers over the material.

“Why are you looking at it like that?” she asked sitting next to me.

“Harry brought it for me.” I smiled softly, “just turned up with it one day saying that he had seen it and thought of me. He said blue is one of his favourite colours on me.”

“Wear it then.” She bumped her shoulder against mine and I nodded.

I stood up pulling my tshirt and leggings off before pulling the dress on, I looked in the mirror as Jenny zipped up the back. It still fit perfectly and I sighed smoothing it out. It was a beautiful dress. Before I could even second guess myself I walked over to the tiffany box on my dresser and ignored Jenny’s gasp as I reach inside it and pulled out the paper airplane ring, I slid it onto my finger and smiled down at it. Even if I only wore it for tonight it was still nice to have it back.

“Wow.” She smiled as I turned around, “you’re a knock out as usual.”

“Thank you.” I bit my lip.

“Put your shoes on then, you have a boy to go see.” She grinned.

“Are you sure?” I asked and she nodded.

“Course I am.” She assured me, “I’m happy you’re happy Blair. I’ve never seen you like this.”

“No,” I bit my lip, “I guess you haven’t.”

I slid my feet in a pair of black pumps grabbing my jacket and bag before walking out the house. I was at Harry’s house in no time and I saw his mum’s car parked in his driveway. I parked and got out making sure I’d closed the gate behind me before walking up the path and pausing before ringing the bell. Harry appeared at the door looking confused but when he saw the dress he grinned.

“Wow.” He shook his head and I laughed lightly, “but ringing the bell Blair? Seriously?”

“Shut up.” I rolled my eyes before he leant forward and kissed me softly.

“You look beautiful.” He went to lace our hand together and saw the ring, “seriously?”

“Seriously.” I laughed as he brought my hand up to his lips kissing the ring happily.

I then noticed that he was once again wearing his necklace, I reached forward and spun it around in between my fingers I could feel Harry watching me with a grin on his face.

“Come on, I want to see your mum.” I tugged his hand and he laughed softly as we walked through the kitchen.

“Blair!” she smiled as she saw us walk in. She looked at our hands and her smile widened.

“Mum.” Harry sighed, “Blair and I are trying things out again.”

“Really?” she beamed walking over to me and hugged me, “oh I am so glad to have you back.”

I laughed as I hugged her back.

“Mum.” Harry chuckled, “this is just between us okay? We haven’t told anybody else.”

“I’m the first?” she asked and he nodded.

I felt a bit guilty about holding back that I had sort of told Jenny earlier but I reasoned that she didn’t really count.

“So it’s all in secret?” she asked.

“It is.” I nodded and leant my head on Harry’s shoulder.

“So you haven’t really been out on a date?” she looked sad and we shrugged.

“We have our own dates here.” Harry told her, “we have meals, we watch movies and we just be together.”

“It’s just nice to be around each other again.” I finished and he grinned at me dropping a kiss on my forehead.

“This is the best day ever.” She grinned and I laughed.

Harry moved to check on dinner and I placed my bag on one of the barstools and took my jacket off hooking it over the back of the chair.

“How is Jen?” Harry asked glancing over at me.

“Not great.” I bit my, “she said she was kind of expecting it.”

Anne looked between us confused and I ran a hand through my hair.

“My best friend’s boyfriend kissed me last night.” I explained and her eyebrows shot up, she looked over to Harry who was facing the cooker again but was visibly tense.

I walked over to him and ran a hand softly across his shoulders, he sighed and leant back against me. I smiled up at him and he leant down pressing his forehead against mine briefly. I looked over at Anne who was happily watching the exchange.

“Have you been to pay him a visit Harry?” she asked and he shook his head his lips pressed together, “but you want to?”

“Course I do.” He groaned and I laced my hand through his, “I want to make sure he stays the hell away from both Blair and Jenny. That he doesn’t even deserve to speak to either of them.”

My thumb ran over the back of his hand rubbing soft circles.

“But it won’t help.” He sighed and Anne smiled at me, “so I haven’t been over and I’m trying my hardest not to keep getting annoyed about it.”

“No need to be annoyed.” I smiled up at him, “he tried to kiss me and I pushed him away. It was completely one sided. I just came straight to you.”

He grinned down at me his fingers reach out and stroking the side of my jaw affectionately. I rested my head on his shoulder as I let out a light laugh.

“I bet you think we’re crazy.” I said as I walked away from Harry and opening the cutlery drawer, “it’s like it’s all new all over again.”

“But perfectly familiar.” He smiled over at me and I felt a light blush creep onto my cheeks.

“Not crazy at all.” She shook her head, “I’ve been waiting for this day for a while.”

“Waiting?” I cocked my head to the side.

“I never believed for a moment that you two wouldn’t be together again.” She shrugged.

I looked over at Harry who shrugged with a smile before leaning forward and kissing me quickly, I blushed at the affection in front of Anne but she just laughed as Harry grinned cheekily at me. I finished laying the table listening to Anne and Harry chat away about the upcoming tour, I interjected when I could but I didn’t want to disrupt their bonding time.

“How long till it’s ready?” I asked rested my hand on Harry’s arm.

“Another 15 minutes.” He smiled down at me, “you okay?”

“Yea,” I nodded, “I’m just going to ring and check up on Jen. I’ll be back in a few.”

“Okay.” He nodded and I leant up kissing him softly and quickly.

I walked out of the room and sat on the steps in the hallway as I called Jenny, she picked up on the third ring.

“Hello.” She didn’t sound too upset.

“Hey Jen.” I scuffed my foot on the floor, “you alright?”

“Yea.” she responded and it sounded off.

“No you’re not.” I sighed and she didn’t say anything, “I’ll come home.”

“Have you had dinner yet?” she asked.

“No.” I bit my lip.

“Then don’t come home.” She told me, “look maybe you should stay there tonight. Henry is coming over in like an hour and it’s probably best if you aren’t here for it.”

“Jen,” I started and she interrupted me.

“Please just had a nice night with your lovely boyfriend and his mum.” I could hear the small smile that would be present on her lips, “for me Blair.”

“For you Jen? Anything.” I smiled softly, “I’m worried about you.”

“Don’t be.” She sighed, “I’m a big girl B, I can look after myself.”

“But you don’t have to look after yourself. I want to look after you.” I said softly.

“I hate this.” She sounded so sad all of a sudden, “you’re leaving so soon B.”

“I know.” I looked at the floor, “it’s weird, I’ve never really had anyone to leave behind before.”

“I’ll be waiting.” She said quietly, “on my own though because apparently Henry is a fucking twat.”

“Are you sure you’re okay to do this alone?” I asked.

“I have to be Blair, I can’t lean on you for everything.” I could imagine her sat on the sofa biting her lip.

“You can.” A small smile played on my lips, “I don’t mind. I like having someone to care about.”

“You have plenty of people to care about.” She chuckled lightly.

“Not any girls.” I bit the side of my thumb, “you’re like the only girl friend I have.”

“I feel honoured.” She chuckled and I smiled.

“You should. I don’t tend to like being friends with girls, they can be such bitches.” I told her honestly, “I’m going to come home, I hate the idea of you being alone.”

“Please just have a nice night B.” she sighed, “you deserve to be happy so much and I’ll be fine. I promise I’ll text you if I need you.”

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair, Anne appeared and made a motion about dinner and I smiled nodding at her.

“Okay. I have my phone on me and it takes like 15 minutes to drive home from here and I won’t drink. Please just ring me or text me if you need me.” I told her and she giggled.

“I will. I love you Blair.” She said softly.

“Love you to Jen.” I told her before hanging up and walking into the kitchen and over to the table.

“She okay?” Harry asked walking past me pressing a kiss to my temple as he did.

“No.” I sighed, “she isn’t. But she doesn’t want to see me, she just needs some alone time she said so I have to respect that.”

“She’ll be okay.” Anne put her hand over mine as she past where I was sat, “you’re a great friend.”

“Thanks.” I bit my lip and looked at the table, “it looks amazing Haz.”

“Thanks.” He grinned putting the hot plates down in front of each of us, “now, do you want wine?”

“I’m okay.” I told him reaching for the bottle of water, “I told Jen I wouldn’t drink in case she needed me to go home.”

“Alright, mum?” he asked and Anne nodded.

“If you are.” She told him and he grinned walking back into the kitchen to grab the bottle.

“I’m sorry for gate crashing your evening.” I told her and she laughed.

“You are not gate crashing at all.” She assured me, “infact I couldn’t think of better company than my baby and his beautiful girlfriend.”

Harry grinned as he walked over to us obviously hearing what his mum was saying.

“I completely agree.” He beamed as he sat at the head of the table.

I smiled and we all tucked into the food. The conversation flowed easily and we were laughing happily at stories of Harry when he was younger, times we had had on tour and at stories I had with Louis when I was younger. We eventually moved to the lounge, we were drinking tea when his mum finally brought up what had been on her mind all night.

“Am I ever going to know why you two broke up in the first place?” she asked.

I looked over at Harry and he looked at me biting his lip. I took his hand in mine and squeezed it.

“It doesn’t really matter now though does it?” I bit my lip, “we’re moving forward.”

She hummed before turning her gaze to her son, I looked at Harry and I knew he was battling with telling her.

“I kissed Ali.” He blurted out and his mum’s jaw dropped.

“You cheated on Blair?” she asked quietly and I bit my lip looking at Harry, “why? Why would you do that to her?”

“Anne.” I stood up and went and sat next to her, she looked completely distraught at the news.

“I thought I raised you better than that.” She shook her head at Harry who was looking at the ground.

“Anne,” I put my hand on hers, “it’s okay. Everything is okay now.”

“You just forgave him?” she asked and I sighed.

“It’s taken a lot of time.” I told her, “but Harry made a mistake. A drunken mistake.”

“But you’re you.” She said and I shrugged.

“Mum.” Harry stood up and crouched in front of her, “what happened was the worst mistake of my life and I will spend everyday trying to make it up to Blair. I promise you that.”

I reached out and laced our fingers together he smiled at me softly and I hated the look in his eyes. He hadn’t needed to tell his mum what had happened.

“If you hurt her again Harry.” She shook her head at her son.

“I won’t.” he assured her before turning to me, “I couldn’t do that to her, not again.”

xxxx


“Those pancakes were amazing.” Anne grinned as we walked to the hallway, “thank you.”

“Don’t mention it.” I shrugged smiling.

Anne had spent the night in the guest room and I had stayed over after not receiving a message from Jenny. It was just after midday and Anne was about to set off after I had made pancakes for brunch. I was in a pair of Harry’s sweatpants that were way to big for me due to the large height difference and a plain black t-shirt. I was still wearing the ring and I kept fiddling with it like I used to, I knew I had to take it off after I left which made me sad but it was the last thing we needed a photographer taking a picture of. Harry appeared at the top of the stairs after insisting on changing after I had ‘accidently’ covered him in flour, I giggled as I noticed the flour still in his hair and Anne did the same next to me. Harry rolled his eyes at me before he pulled his mum in for a tight hug, he pressed a kiss to the side of her head and she squeezed him back.

“Let me know when you get home.” He said as he pulled away and she smiled.

“You sound so grown up.” She chuckled before turning to me, “Blair.”

I smiled as I stepped into the hug she was offering.

“If he ever messes up again, you know where I am.” She whispered in my ear and I nodded, “I mean it Blair, I’m always here for you.”

“Thank you.” I told her as we parted.

“Don’t forget to send me those sketches for the bungalow.” She reminded me and I nodded.

“Mum.” Harry whined, “she isn’t your personal interior designer.”

“You didn’t seem to have a problem using her as yours.” She gestured to the house and I laughed.

“I don’t mind Haz,” I told him, “I’ll get to work on it and send some ideas over.”

She smiled as we said our final goodbyes before she walked out the door, Harry leaned against the frame and watched her get in the car a sad look on his face. I wrapped my arms his waist from behind before I went on my tip toes and rested my chin on his shoulder.

“You’ll see her again soon.” I said softly, “we can go up at the weekend if you want?”

“No we can’t.” he closed the door after the car disappeared from view, “we’re still not telling people. Remember?”

“Harry.” I bit my lip and he shrugged.

“Sorry.” He pulled me into a hug and rested his head on top of mine, “I just hate saying goodbye to her all the time.”

“I know.” I squeezed him tight and he sighed.

“At least I have you.” He said softly and I looked up at him.

“That you do.” I smiled leaning up and kissing him gently.

“Thank you for last night.” He said as we walked into the lounge.

“What are you thanking me for?” I asked confused.

“All of it.” He shrugged, “I love spending time with you and my mum. It makes me so happy to see you two get on so well.”

“Do you know what makes me happy?” I asked and he looked down at me curiously.

“What?” he asked as we dropped down onto one of the sofas.

I moved over to be straddling him as he sat upright, our foreheads pressed against each other.

“You.” I smiled, “and the fact we have the entire afternoon to do with whatever we want.”

“Do we now?” he smirked running his hands up my sides gently.

“We do.” I grinned and pressed a kiss to his lips, “are you thinking what I’m thinking?”

“There is a possibility.” He nodded pressing soft kisses down the side of my neck.

“Great,” I grinned pulling back, “shall I make the tea and you set up the tv? I’m so excited for a Fresh Prince marathon!”

He gaped at me and I burst out laughing, he laughed as he realized I was kidding before grabbing me and tickling me till I was crying.

“That.” He pressed his lips to mine, “was mean.”

I giggled and stared up at him, I leaned up and kissed him quickly.

“I told Jen.” I bit my lip and he raised his eyebrows, “about us.”

“I gathered that’s what you wee referring to.” He nodded.

“Are you mad?” I asked and he shook his head.

“Nope.” He smiled slightly.

“What’s that smile?” I asked.

“Well, if you told Jen.” He kisses my neck softly, “that means you’re thinking we’re a good idea. Which means that soon I can tell the world your mine again.”

I laughed lightly as the smile grew on his face.

“Baby steps.” I whispered into his lips as I went to kiss him and he chuckled lowly.

“Oh Blair, we have always been bad at baby steps.” He laughed lightly before kissing me.
♠ ♠ ♠
So what do we think?

I promise to respond to all comments on this chapter, sometimes i get a bit distracted but I promise I will!

I started writing the epilogue to this story earlier today and it was all very emotional. I started already because I want it to be the most perfect chapter in case you guys don't want a sequal, I want to be happy where it finishes.

Peace.Love.GiveMeStylesAndNobodyGetsHurt