The Bride and Her Bloodlust

Chapter 14

Leaving Lucius was far harder than I wanted it to be. I wanted to leave him easily and not feel like I was never going to have him back. After an hour, Eva probed my mind with words I hadn’t been wanting to hear.

‘I sense the darkness coming. Lock him up and leave him now, before he becomes violent.’

I froze in the middle of washing out the soap from Lucius’ hair but silently agreed with her. Eva fled my mind, leaving me in peace again.

“What is it?” Lucius asked as he continued to scrub his body.

I placed my chin on his head, ignoring how wet his hair was and just inhaled his scent. I wasn’t going to for a while. “Eva says the antidote it failing. I need to go.”

Lucius fell silent and I felt his head hang a little. He knew he had been running out of time but I could smell his desire to stay awake. He didn’t want to return to the darkness.

“At least I am clean now and the wounds tended to properly.” He said slightly then sighed heavily and reached up to touch my face. I nuzzled his palm for a brief moment before I set to work in cleaning the soap out quickly.

Lucius didn’t move or say a word. It worried me. It was not often I felt such defeat from him.

“Eva and I will sort this out, Lucius, don’t worry.” I promised and I poured water over his head.

“I know.” He said softly. “I am sorry I got myself into this mess.” He added after a short pause.

I scowled at the back of his head. “Don’t be sorry. You weren’t to know the witch had a poison on her or that she was an Allaway.”

Lucius shrugged, obviously not accepting my words. “And you’re certain she is an Allaway?”

“Either that or she was in league with them. No witch would know about that poison or carry it if she wasn’t involved with the Traitor Family.”

Lucius grunted in agreement then reached back and grasped my hands. He pulled me forward sharply, squashing my breasts against his back hard and pressed my fingers to his mouth. He kissed the tips and palm fervently while nipping gently at the skin. I buried my face in his neck as he did this, not wanting the parasite to return.

“I’m sorry if I hurt you again.” Lucius murmured. He hadn’t been happy when I showed him the wound on my neck. In fact he had been utterly disgusted with himself and took some time to calm down. He didn’t seem to care about the wounds he had inflicted on himself however.

“I know.” I replied gently. “But I need to go if you don’t want to rip my throat out.”

He didn’t let go of my hands instantly, only once he had given me several more kisses did he feel any inclination to. He let go and stood slowly with water still covering his body. I grabbed the towel and began to help dry him, something I regretted a little. It was very hard not to feel him and press myself up against him. I hadn’t had him in so long now and my body was craving him considerably. It didn’t help things when he made was making it clear he wasn’t exactly calm either.

Trying my best to ignore the fact he was entirely naked before me, I reached up and rubbed his hair hard. I scowled at him when he gripped my hips and pressed me against him, making me feel how stiff he was.

“No.” I said simply and sharply.

He only smiled and nuzzled my nose before he let go and sought out the clothes Ella had brought down for him. I turned as he dressed, not wanting to be tempted anymore, and remained staring at the cell door, becoming sadder that I was having to lock him up while he was still Lucius. It was easier when I was raving mad and trying to kill everyone.

I remained still when he touched my arms and nudged my head with his chin.

“It’s time for you to go. I can feel it pressing now.” He said calmly.

I nodded and sharply got to work, ignoring his calm blue eyes. I picked up the shackles that held his hands together and approached him with them, a little annoyed that he held his hands out ready. I clamped them over his wrists and locked them into place.

“One done.” He said a little too happily and he set himself at the back of the cell, ready for me to chain him to the wall.

I knelt down beside him and set to work, quickly locking each chain to his ankle and wrist, trying my best to ignore the cold shudder that went through my body with every click. I let my hands fall into my lap and I watched him with my usual blank stare.

He smiled thinly. “No need to look so sad.”

“I don’t.”

“You do. Your eyes always show how you feel.”

My eyes narrowed sharply and ignored the comment. “I’ll sort this out, okay?”

“I know you will.”

I didn’t want to tell him that Eva doubted she could do much for him. If he was to go, at least he’d go without realising or feeling it. “I’ll see you soon.”

He nodded and smiled gently. I paused for a moment, wanting to go but unable to leave him, and swiftly decided to press my mouth against his. I kissed him hard, becoming more demanding and urgent as the need to go rose. He returned it just as desperately until he stiffened and hissed, baring his fangs a little.

I pulled away, breathing a little heavily and held his face lightly. “What is it?”

“You need to go. The parasite is there. It’s very difficult to keep it back.” He said sharply. “Go, Susan.”

I obeyed without a word. After one brief kiss, I stood up and walked out of the cell. As I shut the door, letting it clang in the cold air, I kept my eyes off of Lucius until I had locked it. I frowned when I looked up. His face was pressed in his hands and his nails were thickening into their clawed form. Lucius was still there but only barely. The parasite was taking over.

“I’ll be back later, Lucius.” I said to him in what I hoped was a controlled tone.

I got no response. He probably didn’t hear me. Quickly I fled the dungeon and was already reeling through things to do. I had to do something. My heart was hurting so much right now. I kept feeling the need to run back to Lucius and hold him again. I wanted that so much. But he was gone for now. The parasite was ruling his mind.

I tapped my nails against my teeth as I tried to think of something to do. I really wanted to help Eva but it was too late to hunt. Dawn was a couple of hours away now. I wasn’t of any use to Eva unless I was hunting down those witches and that poison. As I stormed through the house, I eventually picked up a familiar happy voice. I knew instantly what to do.

I followed the voice, ignoring anyone who spoke to me, and burst into the large play room of James. The boy was still up and often was recently. He didn’t go to school most days and was allowed to stay up with Pyotr. James always amazed me at how well he coped with a change in sleepy pattern and long he could remain awake.

James was sitting at the top of an indoor climbing frame that was surrounded by toys and blankets. Pyotr was at the bottom, cuddled into a ball as James climbed above talking to him loudly. While Pyotr didn’t get fully involved with playing, he would sit and listen to James, sometimes even talking back. It was a massive step forward. Livia remained in the corner, watching over her wards cautiously and quietly, until she saw me. Once her eyes latched onto me, she approached with a light smile.

“Susan, how did the cure go?” She asked curiously.

I had come her to forget that the cure hadn’t been perminant. “It worked only for an hour or so.” I replied stiffly. “Have you heard anything from Viorel?” I asked, changing the subject rapidly.

Livia understood what I was trying to do and wordlessly let me drop the subject. “I haven’t heard anything so I am guessing the Elders have found nothing more about the Allaway Family.”

I nodded, a little glum by the lack of news. Viorel had gone to help the Elders instead of following Eva here to guard here. Having a human that wasn’t a witch was of use to them, especially when trying to get close to such paranoid and cautious witches. I would normally be concerned about Viorel getting close to such enemies but he was immortal now, connected to Eva has her ward and protector. He didn’t need the caution he once did. I just hoped the Elders and Viorel would get some success in their hunt soon. I didn’t want this poison to spread.

“Hello Aunt Susan!” James shouted happily and waved madly at me in welcome when he finally registered I was there and shaking away my thoughts.

“Hello James.” I replied, pleased I had found something that would take my worrying mind off of Lucius.

James leapt down lightly and scurried over to me quickly. “Have you come to play?” He asked hopefully but with a hint of doubt. I rarely came to him unless I was teaching him, not to play.

This time however it wasn’t the case. “Yes.”

James looked stunned for a moment before a massive grin took over his face. “You are?” He laughed then ran back to Pyotr. I noticed the boy no longer shied away fearfully from James. “Aunt Susan’s going to play with us, Pyotr.”

Pyotr stirred, turning his large bright eyes onto my face and watched me cautiously. He seemed to become a little sad as he stared at me, making me wonder if he could sense emotions clearly even at his young age. It made me feel a little vulnerable and, for a moment, threatened, until I realised he was just a small boy and meant no harm.

James grabbed my hands, demanding what we were going to play. I decided on chase, a game that could also be twisted into training. I could never just play with him. I had to choose games that would test what he had learnt like chase or hide-and-seek. Anything that would see how well he could run and hide from me.

I played for the remainder of the time I had left of the night, chasing my giggle nephew as he ran away, clambering over the climbing frame and furniture. Pyotr remained where he was, surrounded by toys and books, quietly watching us with those bright sorrowful eyes of his.

James did what I had hoped he would. I was quickly focusing on his movements, his speed and ability to run. He was good but not good enough to run for long or catch me easily. Either way, Lucius and his madness was pushed to the back of my mind as I wanted. For now.
♠ ♠ ♠
There is an extra update this friday :3 Going to do four extra updates over two months! Determined to do it!