Status: Please give me your honest opinion :)

Diamond in the Rough

Diamond In The Rough

They look at each other for a long time and it's Jem who finally breaks the silence. In truth, he doesn't know what to say. All his life no one has ever wanted to know him and the people that do, well, he was forced upon them.

"Why would you want to know me? Why the fuck would anyone want to know me?"

"I like you, Jem. I always have done." Fiona says quietly.

Jem licks his lips. There's got to be a trip somewhere.

"Like me?" He asks with curiosity."Never heard that before. People like my reputation or like to say they fucked the bad boy"

Fiona notices the bitterness in his tone. As suspected, he had probably been used just as much as he used the girls he met in bars.

"It's none of that" Fiona reassures him."Getting involved, even friendship complicates things"

"Then walk away. I can't change who or what I am."

"I work for the district attorney's office and knowingly entering any kind of relationship with a criminal is forbidden" she says softly "but it's worth it"

Jem looks up at her with softening eyes, the anger and dislike for her profession simmering.

"I can't help the way I feel, Jem. Last night I felt something for you that I haven't felt in a long time. I just hoped you would have felt the same" Fiona says sadly. "I was wrong"

Jem quickly follows her into the hallway and shoves the front door shut, his arm still against the door. Their bodies are almost touching. She turns round to face him and can smell the beer and whisky.

"I do" he says, not looking up at her eyes. "Feel the same"

"You do?" She asks.

"Course I do" his eyes finally look up at her.

"Then why didn't you make a move?"

"Cause I thought I'd scare you off or something. Look at you, you're pretty and everything someone wants to be. Shit, look at me" he says softly whispering.

Fiona can see disappointment, maybe self-hatred in his eyes and she feels for him,she really does.
She cups his cheek and looks at him. He is sucking in his lips and trying not to look at her.

"I like you for who you are, Jem. Not because what you are supposed to be"

Fiona kisses him gently on the lips and pulls away when he doesn't respond. He looks her, his eyes searching hers.

"You don't want this" he whispers.

Her hand strokes his cheek, her bottom lip quietly being chewed with nerves.

"Yes. Yes I do"