Love Games

Chapter Four

"What? You're not serious, Reia," Elle slapped her hands over her face and let out a loud groan shortly before leaping on the other girl in desperation. "Tell me you're joking. Tell me that Jules Sinclair is not trying to undermine my plans for Stella!"

Reia pursed her lips and calmly detached herself from Elle's almost depraved clutches. When she noted that the blonde's outburst was drawing a good amount of attention, she drew her aside to an inconspicuous niche beside the buildings.

She made sure the girl was done with her fit before explaining, "It hasn't been confirmed or anything, Elle. But from what I've heard, it doesn't sound good. Apparently he's partnered up with her in Biology and he already snagged her number."

"He what?" Elle screeched so loud that even their obscure location couldn't protect them from the bewildered stares. "I'm going to kill him. Where does he live? Reia, just tell me, I'll-"

"I thought we were meeting at the football field. Who are we going to kill today?"

They turned to see Alice smiling at them in amusement with Stella at her side.

"I don't know if I can do any killings." Stella added.

Elle let out an exaggerated laugh and waved her hand dismissively, as if vanquishing her previous conversation into thin air. Reia just shook her head as she launched into another matter entirely.

"Nobody," Elle said, a placid smile settling on her lips as she extended her arms and placed them on the two girl's shoulders. "Let's grab some snacks and head over to our room. Reia got this cute nail polish set that I've just been dying to try and she won't let me paint her nails different colors."

Alice and Stella let the lively blonde lead them away, leaving Reia to trail along behind. Somewhere along the way, Elle was struck with an idea.

"Oh, before I forget, give me your numbers!" She demanded, notably focusing on Stella. "We're at that point now, aren't we? We don't share any classes, so we should exchange numbers to keep in touch."

"I guess you're right," Alice agreed. "This way, we won't always have to wait for you to find us."

Stella merely nodded her head, slowly sliding her cellphone out of her pocket to participate. Elle noted that she seemed completely bewildered by this ritual, which should have been a common occurrence for an average high school girl by now. Still, they managed to save numbers and even take photos to go along with their entries. Alice was pestering Reia about a less than attractive snapshot she managed to snag of the young sophomore and Elle couldn't help but notice a tiny smile tucked into the corner of Stella's mouth as they continued on to the school cafeteria.

* * *

Alice was busy weaving tiny braids throughout Elle's long hair while Reia painted even coats of girlish pink onto Stella's delicately manicured nails.

"Where'd you go before this, Alice?" Elle asked, careful to move her head only slightly.

"I went to Kirkland," she said. "I've been working on my grades. I was really aiming to go to Patton, but I wasn't quite good enough. Someone else beat me out for it. What about you and Reia? Have you always been at Southwood?"

"Southwood used to be out in the midwest, in the middle of nowhere," Reia said, purposefully vague. "This place is much nicer though, everything is so new... How do you like it so far, Stella?"

Stella was busy watching Reia's precise painting skills, but managed to provide an answer, "I was a little intimidated, but I'm getting used to it."

"No need to be intimidated anymore," Elle chimed. "We'll look after you."

Stella looked up and smiled slightly, which Elle interpreted to be an acceptance of her offer. Things were working out so well at this point that she was beginning to wonder if she really had any competition when it came to Jules. She tapped her finger on her leg, fighting the urge to ask about it and ultimately lost.

"So... Stella," she started, drawing Reia's almost exasperated eye. "I heard you have a class with Jules Sinclair."

The dark haired girl blushed slightly, "You... heard?"

Elle could immediately tell that she was uncomfortable with the idea that someone had been talking about her and quickly corrected herself. "Yeah, Reia said she saw you guys in Biology together," she said. "He's our old classmate."

"Oh, yeah," Stella seemed greatly relieved. "We're partners now."

The blonde's expression was darkening by the minute and Stella was eyeing her nervously until Reia chucked a cotton ball her way. Elle swatted it away and forced a laugh.

"Well, just be careful with that one. He's got one of those faces." she warned. "Let your guard down and you might fall in love with him or something."

"Oh, he's that senior with the wheat blond hair and the green eyes, isn't he?" Alice interjected. "He's quite hot."

Stella blushed and shook her head, "I would never!"

"Don't be shy Stella," Alice teased. "He's got that look about him. Lot of girls like that."

"No! Jules is a dunce when it comes to girls," Reia said. "Completely oblivious and not an ounce of charm."

"How do you know so well, Reia?" Alice fixed her with a cheshire grin. "You two have history?"

Stella's eyes widened and cut to Reia in surprise, but Elle only bit back a snicker. Reia turned as red as her hair and took offense to that suggestion.

"Oh please!" Reia cried. "Jules is a damn imp and I'll be damned if I ever-"

"But you did, Reia," Elle said. "He had you going for a few weeks at the old Academy."

"I knew it!" Alice shouted, jumping up and pumping her fists into the air with triumph.

Stella giggled at the expression on Reia's face and her prompt leap on Elle shortly after. They eventually settled down enough to sit still and start a movie. It ended up being much too scary for Elle and Reia, forcing the other two to turn it off halfway through.

"So sorry about that, girls," Elle said, seeing them to the door. "We borrowed it from some of the boys upstairs. They said it was a romantic comedy!"

"What would boys be doing with a romantic comedy anyway?" Alice asked. "But don't worry about it. It was fun."

"Let's do this again sometime," Reia offered. "Stella, should Alice give you a ride home?"

"Oh, no, it's fine," Stella said. "I have my bike."

"You sure? It's no trouble," Alice insisted. "It's getting dark."

"Thanks, but I'll be alright," she smiled. "Really."

"Ok, just be careful," the brunette waved at them. "I'll see you guys tomorrow then."

"Tomorrow," Stella echoed, following Alice out.

The red head and the blonde waited until they disappeared down the stairwell before sharing a glance. Reia narrowed her eyes at her room mate, taking quick notice of the way her eyes crinkled and her lip curved. In all the time that she had known her, she'd learned to read these indicators as warnings of coming trouble.

"What did you do, Elle?" Reia asked dryly.

"Nothing! Don't even worry about it," Elle assured her, offended that she'd even be doubted. "I've timed everything perfectly. Down to the second."

"Oh God."
♠ ♠ ♠
Short. ._.