Soul Of Despair

The Bracelet

Her mind was fuzzy whether it had been a day or a week. She arrives from school when her grandmother approaches her with much serenity. "Hold out your hand" her grandmother says with a small smile tugging at her mouth. She looks down to what seems to be a bracelet. A handmade bracelet. Plastic, yarn, and her name sown in big bold white letters. "Thank you grandma! It's beautiful" she exclaims. "You're father sent it" her grandmother replied. Her sudden eyes went from a welcome-home-from-school expression to a very sad look in her weary eyes.

Not sure of the shock or what came over her but those crystal like beads -she thought of back on the day everyone was crying- began falling, like Niagara Falls in the spring. Flooding through her small eyes she fell to her knees. Gripping at her grandmothers long floral skirt. Mumbling words she can't sought to remember, her grandmother cried with her. "Please don't do this" her grandmother said with her words cutting off. "I know your'e in pain, but crying won't help." her grandmother continued. She didn't care, her grandma's voice went through her like fine thin silk ribbons, not a feel. She wanted to cry and cry until her eyes were swollen, and her head pounded.

Her thoughts were filled with questions to why the sudden unfairness to her life. Her father was a hero, a man of his words, the father who'd give anything and everything for her in just a matter of seconds.

After solemn hours of weeping in her backyard together with her grandmother, the sun began to hide. To be unseen until the next day, clouds were tucked away in the pink folds of the sky. Now she knew why she was so desperate for 2008 to get lost and not be there yet. She was hoping her premonitions were wrong that day and nothing more but a mere thought. Three seconds till hugs, laughter, and kisses for a new beginning, everyone sipped champagne, and danced their happiness away, while her life instead took a twist..an undesired one. December's and January's were never the same way to her and it still isn't.

A million gifts, Christmas trees, and astonishing twinkling lights could never change her mind about her feelings now. Every year her heart gets ripped off and broken into a billion microscopic pieces. Loneliness chews her off little by little till she forgets they're like leeches sucking the life out of her. Many times she felt selfish for thinking her life was utterly a mess, while others had it worse. It's true she's not going through those hardships, but the pain her soul carries, she would say was equal to those of people who were having it bad.