Status: Slowly active.

Breathe

Unravel me.

The bus dropped the passengers off at the Amtrak CLT train station. Paisley checked her wristwatch as she entered the station. It was nearing five o’clock in the morning, and Paisley was tired and hungry. Just her luck the local Starbucks and McDonalds were closed, and her train didn’t leave for about another thirty minutes. She settled herself on a bench, near the entrance of where the train was going to be. Her eyes scanned the place, trying to stay awake and catch glimpses of people who were all around. Surprisingly the place wasn’t as clear, there were a good amount of people in the station.

Off the her right was a family of six, then up in front of her was a woman, crisp in a business suit leaning against the side of the bench looking exhausted as ever, and a whole mess of different people scattered around. Everyone with their own agenda, and their own problems. These people were all going somewhere, everyone had a place to go, people they were going home too, possibly. Paisley was internally struggling with the fact that she was being so selfish and running away from her problems instead of facing them head on.

Then the reactions from her parents wouldn’t be something she’d look forward to. If she’d tell them she wanted to go to college somewhere not near her town.

“Oh you’re being silly Paisley! You’re living life perfectly fine!” her mother would say, or worst yet her father.

“I didn’t have to leave town to get a college degree! Why should you? Home is where everything’s safe.” He would reply, and then shoo her off to tend to the chickens.

In all honesty Paisley was so tired of farm life. This is what helped her shove back her regret, because she was making a life for herself. Finally, she had made a final decision. Making a life for herself, would be her personal mantra. She was going to be free, and so far everything was going smoothly. Her parents wouldn’t be up by six thirty and she’d be already on the moving train towards New York.

She hadn’t realized she’d been so engrossed with her thoughts that it was already five thirty and her train had arrived. The times on the board started flipping and changing just as she looked up. Paisley wasn’t able to pay for a sleeper car, but she was able to snag a seat in the business class seats, which was much relief for her.

Paisley placed her duffle bag on the top racks and sat in the seat by the window. She took the iPod that now belonged to her out and plugged the ear phones in. Paisley watched as people shuffled in and took up the seats. Except the one next to her and the aisle seat to the left. Ten minutes later, the intercom made the announcement that the train was departing in a minute time. Right in time, just as the doors were closing, someone came rushing into the cabin.

He was out of breath and his clothes were a bit dishevled. The strap of his duffle bag was nearly slipping off his shoulder as he paused a bit to catch his breath. Nobody paid mind to him as he made his way down the aisle looking for a seat, but since Paisley was looking, she did notice him.

She gave him a once over, trying not to look like the biggest creep on the planet. He had certainly received the right genes. The guy was attractive with a very agreeable bone structure, tall, lean, and from what Paisley could see, he had long fingers, defined shoulders, and blazing green eyes, but he also looked drained.

Like every other passenger on the train, she perceived. The tired, but alluring guy grimaced at the other seats, which there wasn’t one row that wasn’t occupied by someone. She frowned as he came near to her row.

Evidently he had to chose between sitting with an old guy, who was knocked out, or Paisley. She briskly looked away and fiddled with the ends of her sweater. It wasn’t that she didn’t know how to speak to cute guys, or people in general, she just didn’t have enough experience. So how would she know what to say? Her romance novels always depicted the girl flirting with the guy if she thought him cute. Despite that she didn’t even know when the right time to flirt was, or how it worked outside of literature. Real people were a whole other topic.

Really, the last guy she talked to was Johnny Calloway. He was the son of her father’s best friend who lived on a farm forty five minutes away and attended her towns district public school.
He was her first and only boyfriend, when she was sixteen. Her mom was ecstatic when she told her that they were dating. He was a gentleman. Johnny had come every day to the farm to help out. Always taking her on picnics, or canoe riding in the lake, or flower picking, horse back riding, hay rides, square dances.

The country life... Everything seemed perfect to her and Paisley really thought they were going somewhere. With Johnny, it had only lasted the summer, and she was so naive about their relationship. When he found out she was home schooled, his demeanor changed. She wouldn’t be going to school with him in the fall. He called her a freak and went off on her, about now he knew the reasons why she didn’t know about certain things any other person would know.
Johnny Calloway dumped her right on the spot, and she never saw him again.

He was the reason why she started devoting herself to books, and to sneakily use the internet, or watch classic movies she’d always hear people make references to. Paisley became a new person after that. Johnny wouldn’t ever be able to call her a freak. This is what brought out her adventurous side, and her yearning to leave.
Which also brought her back to reality, where a very gorgeous guy had stopped right in her row and was now gazing at her with fervent eyes.

“Is this seat taken?” he asked in an unfamiliar accent.

Paisley eyed him, then shook her head.
“No,” she responded softly, removing an earphone. “You can sit.”

He shot her a quick thanks and placed his duffle bags next to hers overhead, then slipped off his jacket and took the seat next to her. She noticed on his head a grey beanie, and some curly hair sticking out. The mystery dude slipped it right off and revealed a head full of luscious curls. He tried to fix it, but gave up and slipped the beanie back on.

“I’m Harry, by the way,” he stuck his hand out for her to shake.

Harry had this cute closed lipped grin and to add on he had dimples, Paisley tried not to think much on it, and how adorable he looked. The dimples just added onto his enticing charm that he was exuding.

“Paisley,” she replied with a smile back, and shook his hand.

Compared to his hand, hers was tiny and cold. His was warm and encased around hers. She bit her lip slightly.

“Well, it’s nice to meet you,” Harry said, the smile still on his features and those dimples prodding. “We are going to spend twelve hours next to each other.”

She nodded and looked at him curiously.
“If you don’t mind me asking,” she said hesitantly, a slightly panicked looked crossed through his eyes but, she continued on with her question. “Where is that accent of yours from?”

Harry seemed to visibly look relieved. She shrugged it off as nothing. Maybe he didn’t like being asked personal questions. Who knows?

“Urm, well I’m from England,” Harry stated nonchalantly.

“Oh really?” Paisley’s eyes widened with excitement. “I’ve never met an English person before. Your accent is so unique. If you don’t mind me asking, what’re you doing all the way here in North Carolina, and headed to New York?”

When Paisley got curious she had a habit of asking many questions, which her parents never liked, but now she was free to ask whatever she pleased. Without having them badger her.

“I was in Myrtle Beach with a few mates from back home,” he responded, a look content look settling on his features. “They flew back home today and I just flew in from Myrtle Beach to take this train. I’m headed up to New York for a couple of days, before I fly home.”

Paisley felt a pang in her heart. It was a twinge of loneliness. She never had a group of friends, or anyone she could relate to, or create a friendship with. Johnny or the librarian were mainly the people she had ever come close enough to be a friendship. She mentally berated herself, to stop herself from wallowing in self pity. It was no use.

“How exciting, I’m sure all of you had fun,” Paisley remarked happily. “I’ve never been to Myrtle Beach, they say it’s nice there. Where all the college kids go. Are you in college?”

He shook his head no.
“I’m not in uni, just taking some time off I suppose,” Harry shrugged, not really going into much detail.

She nodded, and her beanie nearly slipped off.
“Oh, I understand. I guess you can say the same for me. I’m not in college either,” she said with a nonchalant expression, and fixed the hat that was trying to escape, then muttered. “Not yet anyways.”

“High five to not being in college,” he grinned and held up his hand for her, and she laughed and high fived him.

“There’s responsibility out the window,” Paisley snickered and dropped her hand into her lap.

“We’re young,” Harry stated with a content nod. “We do deserve to live a little.”

How true his words were. Paisley mused later on. She hadn’t lived yet, but now Harry sparked a bit of hope for her. Maybe she’d meet other people that she’d be able to befriend and enjoy a pleasant conversation with. Hell, maybe go on some adventures with.

“Yeah, that’s true,” Paisley replied, then yawned, and shot Harry an apologetic look. “I’ve been awake for a while, I’m going to nap for a bit. If they announce anything about the food car being open, would you let me know?”

Harry agreed with a reassuring smile, and with that Paisley pushed in her earphones and then leaned back against the seat. Music lulled the girl to sleep once again, but her thoughts kept straying to the handsome curly haired guy next to her, and how his dimples would show any time he’d smile.
Harry really was a mystery that Paisley wanted to unravel.
Even if unraveling him was only the surface.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so thankful for the feedback I'm getting on this one! I'm kinda stuck now with my other story... But no worries I'll have another chapter done soon. I edited a good amount of this, changed things and yeah. Mostly that's my reason for late posting. Hopefully I didn't miss any grammar and that I didn't suck writing this chapter.
Remember, I do have a nice plot line for this story too. All sorted out, and hopefully you'll bare with me here. :) Anyways, thanks for reading!
Please don't be afraid to comment or recommend, and/or subscribe as well.
Much love,
Shaina xx