Status: Last Update: May 1, 2013

Determination

First Choice

Sidney jumped into my arms, clean from his recent shower. They had really just DOMINATED the traditionally awful Ohio hockey team. In a beautiful 9-0 shut out, the win was as sweet as could be. If it had been a night game, they would have gone out to some bar. But no one goes into a bar to take home girls and get wasted on a Saturday afternoon.
 
“Nice goals!” I shouted, and I looked over at the white board where Dan had written:
 
Dupuis with 3
Crosby with 2
Malkin with 2
Bennet with 1
Kunitz  with 1
 
Sidney smiled like he had just won the Cup again, looking proudly at the score sheet. The only surprise was Geno only had one, and James, Jordan and Kris didn’t even make the sheet. I don’t think any of them put up any points either. I know Duper had 3 goals, and I’m pretty sure he had at least four other assists. He had the game of his life, that’s for sure.
 
He walked by us as I looked at the board. “Duper!” I called out to him. “Awesome game! How many assists did you have in addition to that hat trick?”
 
He cracked a smile and said, “Uh, 5. I assisted both Malkin’s, Bennett’s, Kuni’s, and one of Sid the Kid’s.”
 
I gave him a high five and he looked over at Sid and winked. “Shut up!” Sidney whined.
 
“I didn’t say anything, Sid the KID.” He said, retreating with a big smile stretched across his face.
 
Sidney rolled his eyes. “Ignore Duper. He doesn’t know the first thing about anything.”
 
“He might know the first thing about scoring a hat trick.” I joked, and I heard Pascal’s booming laugh after I did so.
 
Sidney said, “Hey, hey! No fair! I didn’t even get the chance to have a hat trick!” He whined and I couldn’t help but smile big and laugh.
 
We drove back to the hotel, and Sidney and I were sitting alone in his room, watching some stupid sit com that I wasn’t even paying attention to. Jordan and Marc Andre had looked up an arcade just outside of Columbus and gone with Matt, Dupuis and James to play some games. I wanted to go, but according to Coach Dan I can’t because… I have a concussion. Man, Kovy, thanks for this. I just want to play some dance, dance revolution and this is most certainly not helping the fact. I really need to be cleared for contact soon.
 
Sidney looked over at me, “This show is so old I used to watch it.”
 
“What is it?” I asked, guilty that I hadn’t been paying any attention what so ever.
 
Sidney smiled at me, “Are you tired, because it’s pretty clear that it’s Everybody Loves Raymond.” I’ve heard of it and that it’s pretty funny, but I’ve never actually seen it. “Really though, are you tired? You look exhausted.”
 
I nodded, “Yeah, I don’t know why though.”
 
Sidney smiled and I closed my eyes, resting my head on his shoulder, snuggling in closer to him. His arms fell on my back, and his fingertips gently massaged the skin through my blue UCLA sweatshirt I had put on when I had found myself shivering right after Marc Andre left. That’s when I decided to join Sidney.
 
I was dozing off, and I barely heard Sidney say, “March, March I think you should move to the bed so that if I get up you don’t hurt your head again.”
 
I said, my voice already fogged with sleep, “Yeah, maybe you’re right Sid.”
 
He wiggled free from me, and took my hands, basically pulling me to my feet, although his intention was for me to help him with that much.
 
I walked into the bedroom with him, crashing on the bed, exhausted for reasons I don’t even know. He sat down next to me, and asked me, “Why didn’t you room with me for this trip?”
 
I replied simply, “You weren’t getting along with Flower, and I didn’t want him to have to sleep in a hotel room alone, so I decided to stay with him. I know that you guys used to always stay together. I really can’t believe I tore that whole bromance apart but I did, so I’m sorry about that too.”
 
Sidney shook his head and said firmly, “No. It really is just Flower and I who need to get it together, don’t apologize for destroying something that you didn’t even destroy. It doesn’t make sense.”
 
It was my turn to disagree and add, “Yes it does. It was me. I can tell that you both like me, and don’t get me wrong I like you both too, but I like you guys in two totally different ways.”
 
A spark of hope lit Sidney’s beautiful hazel eyes. “You do?” He asked. “Do you, oh, um, never mind. Oh, sorry.”
 
“Don’t be. I would have asked the same question.”
 
I smiled, knowing that Sidney was a little bit flustered. It’s just different with Sidney. He’s so sweet and kind, but then again so are James and Marc Andre. I need to make a choice, but for now and for right now, my choice is Sidney Crosby. But I’m almost certain that’s going to start a second civil war.
 
I said hesitantly, “Sidney, I’ve been really dismissive of you these past couple of days. I’m really, really sorry. Because you’re my first choice and you’re done nothing but good to me, and I like you a lot.”
 
If Sidney hadn’t been sitting on the bed already, I think he would have had a heart attack and died on the floor. His breathing seemed irregular all because of those 5 little words. I like you a lot.
 
Sidney said happily, “Wait, are you serious? You’re not just pranking me back, right?”
 
I looked at him and didn’t respond directly. “I kissed a guy on this team.”
 
“What? What do you mean? Who else on this team other than me did you kiss?”
 
Now that is a nice, straight forward question.
 
“Well, I only kissed one…”
 
He said urgently, “Well who was it? Who on this team did you kiss March? You can’t kiss my- I mean our other team mates if you want a relationship!” Funny thing is, I could go make out with James Neal right now if I wanted to and I could still have Sidney if I wanted to . He cares about me a lot I know, and I really do like him a lot, and that is definitely one of the reasons why. 
 
I laughed, “I told you Sidney, I’ve only kissed one guy on my team. Well with the exception of Bruce, who I did end up kissing at some point during the season. It was a dare from Allie. I didn’t even like him, I hated him more than anyone. I wonder how Bruce is doing. To annoy him, I remember I used to call him ‘Brucie.’ It bothered him to no end. 

"Well who'd you kiss?"

"You, you dumbass." I said with a giggle.

The look of relief on his face was actually hilarious. "You... Me... You've only kissed me? On this team?" He was flustered, but pleasantly surprised.

I just nodded and he hugged me and kissed my cheek. "I can't even believe it!"

I let him have his moment of excitement as my own mind wandered far from this hotel room. I pictured James and Matt having a Dance Dance Revolution competition, that had always been my favorite game at arcades. I thought about how crushed James and Flower would both be. I wondered how Kris will react to this. Or how Jordan will react. Or the rest of the NHL? How about my parents? The fans? The crazy, insane Sidne Crosby fan girls won't like it too much I guess.

I pictured the crushed look on James's face when I would tell him I'm dating Sidney. The tone his voice will have when he finally says that one little word softly and brokenly, "Oh."

And Marc Andre, how he'll have a big bright but faltering smile on his face, and how he'll be wearing his backwards baseball cap and he'll laugh and make sure we can still be friends, even though he'll be so depressed on the inside.

Kris, Kris will be okay with it I think. I think he's always pulled for me and Sid to be together (or... He might just think that Sidney needs a good lay and maybe I'm the one for the job... Which I am NOT.... In no way what so ever.) But I'm not sre if he'll tell me the whole truth about what he's feeling about it.

Jordan is the one I can count on for the full out true story. He'll be as blunt and as rude as hell, because it's just his disposition. But Jordy is Jordy and I'll take him as he is. He will give me the full true story with no lies involved. He's just a truthteller who I don't think will take a side.

But I just need to worry about the task at hand, which I'm fairly sure is keeping Sid the Kid from dying of a heart attack caused by giddyness (if that's even a word) and the fact that I chose him. Funny, I had expected him to take this more like a... Professional hockey player. I did not expect him to have a field day.

But whatever.
**************************************************
After a few minutes, Sidney had himself under control And we sat on the bed leaning against the head board.

"So, you really do like me?" He asked, a little bit of uncomfort starting to slip in to his voice.

I nodded and held his hand. "Yes Sid. All you."

He kissed my cheek, and I felt my face flame a shade of red I didn't know it was even possible to consider it a blush anymore. And my stomach erupted with a clan of nervous excited butterflies.

When he removed his lips, he looked over at me and deep into my green eyes, "You have pretty eyes," He commented. "They are just like, as cheesy as it sounds, pools of emeralds."

I smiled and said, "Why thank you, but how could you say that about me, it's not like I'm pretty or anything. YOU are the pretty one."

He laughed, "Funny joke. March, you're gorgeous. And can I tell you something?" I nodded. He probably would tell me even if I begged him to keep it to himself. "Well, remember when I was really really mean to Marc Andre? Like REALLY mean? He left practice, you fell asleep at his place and you were sick..." Sidney reminded me and I nodded. Ow. It had even hurt me when he said those things to poor Marc Andre. It had been so sad to see that look in his eyes. It was the same look I'm going to get when I tell him I have chosen Sidney. "Yeah? Well, the only reason I said those awful things to him was because I was... Well... Jealous I guess. I'm sorry. I know it hurt you a little bit too when I said some of that crap."

I nodded, "Yeah, it did. But I'm over it, and I think Flower is too. He's so sweet, he'll forgive anyone. Even us when we tell him. I think so at least."

Sidney said nervously, "Yeah. I thought about it, maybe we shouldn't tell people, just let people figure it out for themselves. People will make assumptions and it will get out some how. It won't take long either."

I nodded, going over Sidney's idea in my head. "Yeah, that actually sounds like a really good idea! Let's do it!"

"Awesome!" He said with a huge smile, and then he captured my lips in a heart stopping kiss.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, this might be a lot to take in. But March is feeling the pressure... Do you think she'll stay with Sidney. This isn't the end, that's for sure. It's not over, this might not be the final result.
Who do you want her to end up with! I want to hear some strong opinions!
Let me know!
Thanks so much for reading!