Status: In the process of writing out of McKenly's POV.

Wasted

ten

We got out of the mine and the forest as quickly as we could. Dean didn’t speak to me or even look at me. I was starting to feel really bad about leaving, but I knew it was best. We had called 911 once we were back in cell range. They were meeting us at the Ranger Station. When we got there, there were two ambulances as well as a few cop cars. Without saying a word, Dean grabbed my arm that wasn’t hurt and led me to one of the ambulances.

“Dean, what gives?” I asked him, angrily.

He pointed a finger at me and ignored my question, addressing the EMT. “She cut her hand.” The EMT nodded and began grabbing supplies. Dean turned and walked away, leaving me alone. I groaned when he went over to Haley. The EMT picked up my hand and I winced when he touched my burn. He turned my wrist to look at it.

“When did you get this burn?” he asked.

I shrugged. “Two weeks ago?”

The EMT shook his head. “It looks fresh. Are you sure you didn’t burn it in the mine?”

“I’m sure,” I grumbled. “It’s been two weeks.”

“Alright. Well, I’ll patch it up. You should take it to have it looked at in a few days.” H warned.

“Yeah, I’ll do that.” I said, dismissively, knowing I wouldn’t. I was too busy focusing on Dean and how he left me here to talk to Haley.

~

*3rd Person POV*

Dean walked over to Haley after giving McKenly to the EMT. Part of him knew he should stay with McKenly at the ambulance. The other part didn’t really care. He decided to go with that part. She was going leave him soon anyway.

Haley smiled when he came over. “So, I don’t know how to thank you.” Dean smirked, thinking of something. “Must you cheapen the moment.”

Dean nodded. “Of course.”

“Besides, it seems like you an McKenly are perfect together.”

Dean’s smirk quickly faded. “Oh we-we’re not together.” Dean struggled.

“Really?” Haley asked, looking towards the ambulance McKenly sat in. When they turned to look at her, she quickly turned away. “Well, then. She’s really – ”

“Jealous?” Dean interrupted. Haley turned back to him.

“Yes.” She admitted. “But I was gonna say protective. I can tell that she cares a lot about you, not matter what your relationship.”

Dean laughed, nervously. “Yeah, that’s our Ken. Being all caring and whatever.” Haley smiled and shook her head. A paramedic went up to the two of them and got Haley’s attention.

“You riding with your brother?” he asked.

Haley nodded. “Yeah.” She then turned to Ben, who had come up to the two of them moments earlier. “Let’s go.” Ben nodded to his sister, who turned back to Dean. She leaned forward and kissed him on the cheek. “I hope you find your father.” She said to him, pulling away, only slightly. “And don’t let her go.”

Dean looked at Haley for a moment and then back to McKenly who was pushing herself out of the ambulance. McKenly headed over to the boys and Haley. As she did, Haley thanked Sam and smiled to her. McKenly tried to smile back but all she could manage was a half-smile and a soft glare. The three watched as EMTs loaded Tommy up into one of the ambulances, bandaged as much as they could out here. Dean and Sam hopped onto the hood of the Impala. Dean moved over a little bit for McKenly to fit, but she shook her head, preferring to lean against the car facing away from the two Winchester boys. Dean stared at her for a second as the others watched the ambulance drive away.

Dean decided that he didn’t like the silence and spoke. “Man, I hate camping.”

“Me, too.” Sam agreed. McKenly remained quiet.

Dean sighed, “You know we’re gonna find Dad, right, guys?”

“Yeah, I know.” The boys waited for McKenly to answer. She didn’t. She didn’t even look or move towards them. “But, in the meantime?” Sam questioned. Dean looked to his brother. “I’m driving.”

Dean smirked and handed his brother the keys. The two jumped off of the car and went to their respective sides. “C’mon, Ken.” Dean urged. “Let’s go get a good night’s sleep.” He smiled to her. She didn’t say anything though. She only glared at him. He could barely see her eyes water in the darkness. “Ken?” McKenly shook her head, and pushed herself off the car and into the back seat so they could drive to a motel.

*McKenly’s POV*

As soon as the three of us got a motel, I went straight for the bathroom with my duffel bag. I turned on the shower, and just sat in the bathroom without getting in. I needed time to myself. Being with the boys for so long had really driven me insane. Watching Haley kiss Dean didn’t do much good for me either. Frankly, it had pissed me off. I knew the smirk that he had on his face when he walked up to her. I knew what that smirk meant. I didn’t want to think about it, and sure as hell didn’t want to believe that he would just go off and do something with her. Especially not after I told him the truth. Granted, I knew that he wouldn’t come running and it’d be a fairy tale. That wasn’t his way of doing things. But I was hoping that he would at least tell me if he felt differently or the same. I knew that wouldn’t happen either. Dean didn’t like to admit what he was feeling. He didn’t want to tell me that he was upset about his Dad being gone, there was no way he would tell me about this.

After I had a good time to myself and just before the water ran cold, I hopped in for a quick shower. On my way out, I opened the door to find Dean just standing there, hand raised as if he were going to knock.

“Uh…” he mumbled. “Sorry. Just checkin’ on ya. You’ve been in there for a while.”

“Sorry, shoulda cleared it without first.” I said, pushing past him.

“That’s not what I’m sayin’.” He followed me.

“Maybe not. But you really don’t need to check up on me, Dean. I’m fine, remember?” I assured him, looking him straight in the eye. He nodded. “Can I see your dad’s journal?”

He furrowed his brow. “What for?”

I shrugged. “I haven’t had a chance to look through it yet. Maybe I could find something you can’t.”

Dean nodded, “Yeah, alright.” He left my side to pick up the journal from the table and bring it back to me. I sat in one of the beds with the journal, leaning against the headboard. I began to flip through it, knowing exactly what I was looking for. Sam and Dean traded out getting a shower, Dean going first. Sam sat on the other bed, flipping through the television channels. When I found what I was looking for, I smiled to myself and memorized it. I shut the journal and crossed the room to put it back on the table. Dean came out of the shower as I crossed the room, back to the bed. I ignored him and went to lay back down in bed. “Did you find anything?” he asked.

I shook my head, not making a sound. Sam gave Dean a wary look. Dean gestured towards the bathroom, telling him to get out of the room. Sam raised his eyebrows, looked away from Dean and went into the bathroom. I rolled my eyes not wanting to be in the same from alone with him, but when exactly do I get what I want.

Dean walked towards the bed, clapping his hands together awkwardly. “So…” Dean started. “The case is over.” I nodded, not responding verbally. “Are you gonna take off?” Dean asked, carefully. I narrowed my eyes at him.

“You say that like you want me to leave.”

“I don’t.” He said quickly. “But that was your plan, right?” he questioned. “To leave when the case was solved. And we’ve killed the thing. So you’re gonna go.”

“You haven’t given me a reason to stay.” I said, coldly. “You don’t feel the same, and with our job, my head can’t be clouded. If I leave, I can focus on me, not you. and I’ll forget these feelings that I’ve obviously made up in my head.” I said, throwing things into my duffel, not checking to see his expression. I felt the ground move as Dean crossed the room to me with heavy feet. He grabbed my arm that wasn’t bandaged before I grabbed another piece of clothing and turned me around quickly. I gasped and began to question him, but he crashed his lips to mine. It took me only a moment to realize what was going on before I relaxed in his arms. Everything I felt was exactly what I thought it would be. I melted into his arms. My arms went up around his neck and my fingers twisted in his hair. His hands greedily tightened on my waist. I heard the shower stop and pulled away, out of breath.

Dean had a slight smile on his face. I didn’t know how to feel so my face remained blank. My heart wanted more than ever to jump back into his arms. My brain said that was stupid. I didn’t know which to listen to. I wanted to choose both, but that was impossible. I didn’t smile at him. My face remained blank. I knew he was trying to read me.

“I hope that’s a good reason.” He told me, backing away, just before Sam exited the bathroom.

“What’d I miss?” Sam asked. Dean didn’t respond. I shook my head.

“Nothing.” I said, quietly. Sam came up to me, putting a hand on my shoulder.

“You okay? You look like you’ve seen a ghost.” I looked up at him. “You haven’t right?” I shook my head.

“No, Sam. Everything’s alright.” I faked a smile, glancing at Dean. He wasn’t looking at me, but his expression was hard. Sam followed my eyes to his brother and looked between us.

He stopped at me and whispered, low so that Dean wouldn’t hear. “Did you guys have a fight?” I nodded. “Are you gonna leave?”

I shrugged. “If I do, don’t stop me. Please.” I begged. “And don’t help him find me.” He nodded.

“I wouldn’t.” he said, reaching to pull me into a hug. “I love you, Ken.”

I smiled and leaned up to kiss his cheek. “Love you, too, Sammy.”

That night, I didn’t curl myself up to Dean. I didn’t want to listen to my heart. I figured it would be easier to follow my head’s advice and not get emotionally attached to Dean. It would only be harder on us to worry about each other on that whole new level. I kept to my side, watching Dean once he fell asleep. I couldn’t help but look at him, thinking about that kiss. I loved it and wished more than anything that it would happen again. I waited up for almost half an hour unil I knew he was asleep. Even still, I slowly got out of bed, careful not to jostle him awake. I grabbed the notepad and pen by the phone to leave a note.

“Don’t look for me. I’ll be safe. I’ll come back. I promise. I just need time. Call me if anything pops up. Love, Ken.”

I leaned over Dean to put the note where I was laying. I kissed his temple before I grabbed my bag and snuck out of the room.

I walked for a while around the town before I found a car that wouldn’t be missed. I broke the lock open and got in to hotwire the car. I sat in the hunk of rusted metal and took a deep breath. I didn’t really want to leave. I’ve been with these boys my whole life. It scared me to think of being away from them. I knew, though, it was the best thing for me at this point.

I pulled my blond hair into a side ponytail and grabbed a map from my bag. I marked the address I remembered from the journal and drove in that direction.

~

I got five hours before the car ran out of gas. It was getting brighter now. I knew Dean and Sam had probably woken up by now. I’d probably gotten voicemails from Deana. Sam wouldn’t call me since I asked him not to stop me. My phone was on silent in my bag. I stared at the bag for a moment, trying to decide if I would listen to those voicemails. I took it out, not lighting it up. I sighed and decided not to listen to them. I stuffed it back in my bag and through the bag’s strap over my shoulder, figuring, I’d walked to find whatever transportation was next. I walked for twenty minutes before coming across the Fort Collins Bus Station.

I sighed. “I guess the bus is next.” I walked in and up to the ticket counter. The lady asked where I was headed and I told her. She handed me a ticket after I paid her. She said the bus would be leaving in thirty minutes. I thanked her and sat in the waiting area. I took my phone out and stared at it again. The phone lit up, surprising me. It was Sam. I hesitated. It could be Sam, but it could also be Dean with Sam’s phone. I sighed and answered it, not saying anything.

“McKenly?” It was Sam.

“Hey, Sam.” I sighed. “Sorry. I had to be sure that it wasn’t Dean.”

“No, no. I got it.” He paused. “How are you? Are you okay?”

“Yeah, yeah. I’m fine.” The overhead speaker went off telling me my bus was boarding.

“A bus? Is that where you’re going?”

I sighed. I really didn’t want him to know. That way, Dean couldn’t beat it out of him. “Yeah, I’m hopin’ he’ll take me in for a bit.”

“Good luck. We haven’t heard from him in years.”

“Yeah, but he loved me.” I joked. Sam paused. “How is he?”

“Pissed.” He said. Well, at least he was being honest. “’Course, he’s hittin’ on anything with boobs and two legs.”

“Two? Really? I’d feel as if the legs would be an option by now.” I pondered, trying to remember how long it has been for him.

“Don’t joke, Ken. He’s not happy. I’m not sure if it’s because he’s upset or angry that you left. I’m sure he’s left you a bunch of voicemails.”

“I don’t know. I’m scared to check.” He sighed. “You won’t tell him? Where I’m going, right?”

“Of course, not.” He sympathized. “I get why you’re doing it. Even though I wish you hadn’t left me here with him. He’s takin’ this out on me.” There was a pause. “Alright. I gotta go. He’s coming.”

“Okay, Sam. I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. Just stay safe.”

“I will.” I told him, hanging up the phone. I stood up and found my bus to board. I took a seat to myself in the back of the bus, away from everyone. My phone as burning in my bandaged hand, begging me to listen to its voicemails. I sighed, giving in, and put the password in my phone. I had two voicemails from Dean. The first started.

“Dammit, Ken!” Dean’s voice boomed through the output speaker. I had to pull the phone away from my head. I brought it back a second later. “…can’t believe you would leave without even a word! I thought that was what you wanted! That was for you! Because I didn’t want you to leave! I don’t know where you are! I – I’m freaking out here!” he half-laughed. “I don’t know why you’re not answering, but I hope to God it’s not ‘cause you’re dead.” He hung up the phone. I didn’t bother to listen to the next one. Water burned my eyes. I wiped them away. I missed him. I knew I did. But I can’t be like this on the job. I leaned my head against the window. As the tiredness came over me, I remembered how much sleep I haven’t gotten and quickly dozed off.

~

*3rd Person POV*

Dean came back out of the gas station with snacks. He saw Sam hand up his phone and quickly stash it away. Dean quickened his pace back to the Impala.

“Who was that?” Dean asked, lowering himself into the car. Sam hesitated.

“Uh, it was the Sheriff.” He stumbled. “From the town where the next case is at.” Dean narrowed his eyes at him. He sighed.

“Just tell me she’s okay.” Dean ordered, softly, obviously very worried.

“What?” Sam faked. “Who?”

“McKenly. I know you, Sammy. You can’t lie to me. That was her. Tell me she’s okay.”

Sam sighed in defeat. “She’s fine. Safe.” Dean nodded at Sam’s response.

“Do you know where she is?”

“I know where she’s going. But I’m not telling you.”

“Sam…” Dean warned.

“You can threaten me all you want. She needs time, Dean. And if you go barreling in there, she’ll never come back.”

“She belongs here.”

“Why? Because Dad said so?” Sam questioned. Dean was fuming. “Dean, she needs a break. From you. And from hunting.” Those words made Dean’s ears perk.

“She’s not hunting.”

“No. She’s always told me she’d never hunt alone. Not because she’s not capable. But she’s not as tough as she seems.” Sam admitted. Dean nodded. Dean knew exactly how tough she was. If she loved him as much as he loved her, it would take a lot of guts to just take off.

~

*McKenly’s POV*

The taxi pulled up to the address I told the man seventeen hours later. I would have gotten here faster driving all the way, myself, but I needed the rest. I still hadn’t listened to the second message from Dean. He was so angry in the first one, I couldn’t bring myself to listen to another one. Nervousness also shown through as the taxi drove through all the broken down cars. Sam was right we haven’t talked in years and he and John didn’t exactly leave each other on good terms.

“This guy must be a mechanic with all these cars.” The cabbie commented.

I smiled. “Yeah, something like that.” Finally we arrived at the house. I paid the man and he drove away. The dog was laying on the porch. He lifted his head when I stepped up. “He, Rumsfeld.” I said to him. He laid his head back down. I took a deep breath and knocked on the door. I began to hear footsteps.

“I don’t want…” the door swung open. “…any.” He finished.

“Hey, Bobby.”