Status: If any errors are found, please let me know. Much appreciated.

Lost Lies

Chapter Twenty-Eight

A white Hummer H2 pulled up beside the alley. I was dragged to the back of the vehicle and flung into the trunk like a ragdoll.

The trunk closed and I sat up, leaning against the spare wheel, knowing there was no use wasting my energy yet. I caught sight of a man in the shop window opposite me. He was looking out, a phone pressed to his ear.

Our eyes caught and the man mouthed that the police were on their way. I nodded and pressed my body against the wheel as the car began to dart through the streets at high speed.

I tried to stay in my place, but every bump we went over flung me into the air only to slam me back down again. After five or so minuets, the car skidded to a stop.

I sat up; my body bruised and battered, and looked out of the front window. A great black wolf crouched in front of the car, its teeth bared, saliva dripping from its mouth. Its blood red eyes were pinned on the car.

The wolf’s hackles raised and a loud, ear piercing growl bellowed from its throat.

“Kill him,” Casper roared with fire.

Casper fled the car just as the wolf pounced onto the roof, digging its claws into the metal and ripping it open like a tin can. The other four men in the car kicked open the doors, snapping them off the hinges, and flung themselves at Alex, who grabbed one of them with his paw and pinned him to the roof.

“Come here!” Casper hissed as he flung open the trunk door and grabbed at my legs, pulling me to him.

I fought against him but it was no use; he wrapped his arms around me, pinning me to him as he shot up into the air. I struggled in his arms but quickly stopped when everything below became smaller the higher we went.

“You scared, Winter,” Casper hissed into my ear. “You best be - you’re going to die soon.”

The cold air rushed past us and I felt cold bites all over my skin. I noticed the white speckles falling from above - snow. The snow had started to fall heavily when, suddenly, I felt my body lurch to the left before tumbling through the air.

Casper’s arms were no longer holding me; I was falling through the dark snowy sky and clouds, tied and gagged, unable to scream out loud. I twisted and turned and watched as the ground grew bigger.

I pulled the duct tape from lips and screamed, but, knowing there was no use screaming, I used my teeth to untie my hands. I used my arms to free my legs, but quickly wished I hadn’t because now I was freefalling, my arms and legs flailing.

Knowing I had no hope of surviving, I twisted to face the ground, watching as it grew closer.

My time was nigh.

I closed my eyes, waiting for the impact as I passed what seemed to be the Hilton hotel, but it never happened. I felt myself jerk to a stop and heard cars skidding to a halt. I felt my body tip to a standing position, my feet touching solid ground.

“You can open your eyes now.” I heard Alex whisper.

I opened my eyes, blinking a few times. I was shocked to see I was in the middle of the road, Alex by my side, and surrounded by witnesses of something they believed to be a miracle.

“B-but I was falling. I should be dead,” I stammered, confused.

I turned to Alex, who was clutching his left shoulder, his chest bare, covered by nothing but black jeans and his wings soaring high in the sky. I gasped at the blood dripping down his arm from his shoulder.

“What happened?” I asked urgently, moving away Alex’s hand and examining the bullet hole.

“Evangelina shot me with a silver bullet. It’s lethal to me in wolf form, but when I am like this, it’s not as damaging - just paralyzing.” He smiled.

“What are you smiling at?” I shrieked.

He laughed and I frowned at his stupidity, but he just smiled more, wrapping his arms around my waist, not caring about his bleeding arm or the crowd of people who were freaked out by the angel who stood in the middle of the road.

“It’s all over; Casper and Evangelina have long gone to Hell. And as for Cara and Danny, they are cleaning up at the Eastern pearl because of the mess we created.”

“What – but how? Ten minutes ago, we were all fighting, and then a minute ago, I was freefalling through the air, tied and gagged. I was in Casper’s arms and then the next minute, down I went.” I explained, my body shuddering from the thought of falling.

Alex shook his head and then kissed my forehead. “It’s been half an hour. You were also freefalling for five minutes.”

“Wow,” I gasped, slightly speechless. “Has it really been half an hour?”

Alex nodded in confirmation and leaned in, pressing his lips to mine. His kiss was frantic and urgent as if I he was scared he may lose me for good. I felt my eyes burn with tears and I began to sob into Alex’s chest.

“Is this really all over?” I asked my tone half strained, half happy.

“Yes,” he whispered, resting his head on mine.

“Excuse me?” A voice asked us, tapping me on the shoulder.

I looked up and then in the direction of the voice, my hand locked with Alex’s. An old man wearing a brown suit with hardly any hair and muddy green eyes looked up at us as he hunched over a Zimmer frame. A cross hung from his neck, suspended on a golden chain.

“May we help you?” Alex asked.

“May I ask, are you one of Heavens angels, cast out from the almighty Kingdom?” The man asked. “These eyes who see you stood before them with this young women believe you are one of the Heaven’s Fallen. Are we correct?”
Alex glanced at me and announced loudly, “I am one of the Fallen, but I mean no harm. All I want to do is take my girl home and protect her from the evil after her.”

“But you are no Guardian, boy, you are one of the devil’s minions,” the old man protested.

“He may be a Fallen, but he means everything to me.” I barked.

“You’re in love with this devil’s minion. You are a saint, child.” The man declared.

“Saint,” A familiar voice seethed from behind us. “She is one of the devil’s children anyway.”

I slowly turned around. All heads looking at a figure crouched on a nearby building, his head crooking to one side, a gun pointed at me.

“Chris,” I yelped in shock. “I thought you were dead - they told me you were dead!” I sobbed, falling to my knees.

He shook his head, pointing the gun at Alex now; he faced Chris, his body hardened and tall, ready to fight if necessary.

“You haven’t told her, have you?” Chris demanded.

“And never will.” Alex spat.

“Chris, please, put the gun down. Come home, please,” I sobbed.

“No,” He roared, “I know what you really are. I know everything!” He screamed, pointing the gun at everyone in turn.

“What are you talking -?”

“Casper turned me into this-this demon. He told me everything, everything. Your life is a lie, Winter; you have no soul. You’re just a blood thirsty demon that needs to be killed.” Chris yelled.

“Chris, please don’t be like this,” I begged. “I don’t know what you are talking about. Just put the gun down and come here.”

“No,” he roared once more, pointing the gun at Alex.

“No!” I screamed as he pulled the trigger several times.

Alex staggered back in shock before collapsing to the ground.

I screamed, setting off a chain reaction as people began to scream and run for their lives. I turned to Alex, who groaned in pain, smoke rising from the bullet wounds, his eyes flickering open and closed. The old man we were speaking to knelt down beside Alex, who was muttering in a language I didn’t understand.

The old man slapped him upside the head.

“Language, boy,” the man scolded.

“Te peto ut puella procul hinc donec inveniam uti abscondere,” Alex muttered to the man.

“What’s he saying?” I asked, gripping Alex’s hand.

“He said ‘I need you to take the girl far away from here and hide her’.” The man explained.

“What language is he speaking?” I asked out of curiosity

“Latin, a dead language and a very rare thing to hear,” the old man explained, taking off his cross and putting it on Alex’s chest.

Alex whined and yelped as if the cross was burning him, but he couldn’t do anything about it.

“What is the cross made out of?” I asked, flinching as Alex’s hand grew tighter around mine and his whines and moans grew louder.

“Silver, why?” The man asked, clasping his hands in a prayer.

I ripped the chain quickly off his chest and his moaning and whining stopped.

“What are doing?” The man asked, taking the chain from me and clasping it back around his neck.

“Silver burns him; he is also part werewolf.” I explained.

“How is that possible? The boy is one of the Heaven’s holy.”

“He was attacked by a werewolf when he -.”

Before I could finish, I felt a cold, hard object press against my skull and heard the sound of a barrel changing.

“Time to leave, Winter. You had enough time to say goodbye, but you wasted it.” Chris murmured into my ear.

Before I cold protest, I felt a white hot pain at the back of my skull.

“Seriouslyblackouta -” I slurred.

I didn’t get to finish; I felt another blow to the head and my eyes rolled back into my head.