Status: If any errors are found, please let me know. Much appreciated.

Lost Lies

Chapter Four

I wandered round Eccles public library after dropping off Chris, visiting my parents’ and grandparents’ graves...and disobeying Chris’s orders to go straight home. I searched for a spare computer and Danny, after overhearing he would be at this general library. I tried to search for a place in the shadows, so when Danny did finally come, I wouldn't be seen. I found a computer in the back of the library where the lights were dim.

This is stupid, I thought, as I logged on to a computer with a password the library provided. I sneezed from some dust and smacked my head on the wall behind me.

I felt a bit dazed and closed my eyes for a moment, but when I opened my eyes, I screamed at the sight before me. A hand clasped over my mouth. I stopped struggling when I realised who it was and frowned.

“Get your hand off my mouth,” I hissed under Danny's hand, trying to pull it away, but he was just too strong.

“Not until you say the magic word,” he joked.

“Please,” I replied, with a sarcastic eye flutter.

“That's better.” Danny slowly moved his hand from my mouth, taking much too long to move it away for that matter.

“Haven't you got some place better to sit than ...” he pointed around us to finish the question and I followed his finger.

“Well, erm...I like this area,” I replied as I rubbed at the back of my neck, accidentally giving away I was lying. But I didn't think he knew that. Did he?

“I didn't think you were into that sort of stuff,” he grinned.

“Well, I don't know you and you don't know me.” I rolled my eyes in frustration.

“Fancy moving to a place more, how can I put it? Less shameful.”

I stared at him before letting out a sigh.

“Fine.”

I logged off the computer, grabbed my bag and followed Danny to a brighter, less 'shameful' part of the library.

Danny propped his feet up on the table, placed his hands behind his head and leaned slightly back, eyes pinned to me as I sat down opposite and took out my homework, trying to distract myself from him.

My plans were down the drain now Danny noticed me.

“Sooo, what are you doing here?” He asked.

“That’s for me to know and you to find out,” I grumbled.

Danny stared in silence before he leaned forward, placing his elbows on the table and his chin propped up on his fists.

“You look a dweeb like that, you know that?” I smirked.

“Well, I am just figuring you out.”

“Whatever. Haven't you got some where better to be?” I frowned.

“No, have you?”

I shook my head in reply.

“Ok then. Let's go.” Danny pushed his chair back and grabbed my bag, tossing it over his shoulder.

“What? I hardly know you. Where are we going?”

I was bemused by him, but I quickly got up and followed behind him. I knew it was wrong, but I just couldn't help it; something pulled me toward him, like a giant magnet and one very small paper clip. The force was so strong.

I followed on his heels to the parking lot, were my car was parked. But we walked straight past it. We were heading for Danny's motorbike parked in front of the old town hall behind the library. I suddenly stopped in mid stride, folded my arms and frowned.

Danny stopped meters in front and turned to see what was wrong. With one raised eye brow, he asked, “What's wrong?”

“That.” I cringed as I pointed to the red Suzuki Hayabusa.

“What's wrong with 'that'?” he questioned.

“That's a Suzuki Hayabusa GSXR1300r. The world’s fastest motorbike. You're crazy. I am not getting on that!” I barked.

I turned and headed to my car, but stopped when I remembered my car keys were in my bag and Danny had it.

“How do you know what sort of bike it is? You know what? It doesn’t matter. Do you want to go someplace better or do I have to make you? It’s rather, the easy way or the hard way? In my personal opinion, I enjoy the hard way.” Danny grinned menacingly but I stood in my place, not wanting to go anywhere near him or that bike of his.

He shrugged and calmly walked over to me, picked me up, flung me over his shoulder and began to make his way over to the bike. I knew there was no use struggling so I frowned and just went along with the ride. I knew I had been beat and there was no way I could turn back now. Danny stopped at the side of the bike, put me down, handed back my bag and climbed on to the bike.

“Hop on.” He passed me his spare helmet.

I shoved my bag back over my shoulder; put the helmet on and climbed onto the back of the bike.

“Ok, place your arms around my waist and hold tight, do not let go.” Danny warned as he started the engine. “Unless you want to die,” he laughed, but something about his laugh felt...off.

I hesitated, not wanting to touch him or even be near him, but finally I wrapped my arms around his waist. It felt wrong, so wrong, but at the same time it felt right. His body was solid and warm, against my cold body. I could feel his muscles tense and relax under his shirt at the touch of my arms wrapping tightly around him.

“What about my car?”

“You can pick it up in a bit, unless you can get someone you know to drive it to your house?”

I tapped my lip with one finger; I couldn't think of anyone who would.

“So?” he asked.

“I can't think of anyone, Danny, and plus I need to pick up Chis later.”

He sighed. “Oh . . . really?”

“Why?”

“Nothing. I was just thinking.”

“Thinking about what?”

“Just stuff. About you.”

I frowned. “Excuse me?”

“What?”

“Did you just . . .? You know what, never mind. Let's go before I change my mind and go home.” I blew out a sigh and held tight onto Danny as he pulled out of the parking lot and shot off down the road.

My grip tightened on him and I shut my eyes tight, pressing the side of my face to his back. I could sense him grinning behind his helmet and I swore under my breath, wishing I'd never got on the bike.

“You scared, Cherry Pop?” Danny yelled over the roar of the wind and the bike’s engine.

I shook my head in reply when the sudden realization hit me.

“Did you just call me . . .?” The word stopped at tip of my tongue, and I struggled to say it. “Did you just call me a cherry pop?”

I could sense him grinning again and he sped up without replying. I gripped him tighter and grit my teeth.

Finally, he said, “And what if I did?”

“I don't like, nor do I want, to be called a 'cherry pop', understand? In fact, what made you think that?”

“You smell like cherries, and I understand, Cherry Pop. I won't call you Cherry Pop anymore, I promise, Cherry Pop, ok, Cherry Pop?” Danny laughed, and I punched him, nearly falling of the motorbike.

“That's plain too far, jerk.” I fumed.

The bike rolled to a stop, ten minutes later, and the engine cut. I felt Danny slide off, and then he offered me a hand getting off the bike, but I brushed him off. I took off the helmet and handed it over to Danny, who hung them on the bike’s handles.

I slowly turned to focus on the surroundings. A couple of trees, plain, empty, deserted fields and a river close by. In the distance a slight roar of music blared out from behind a set of trees into the country side. I knew exactly where I was.

I slowly spun back to Danny, who had his hands tucked in his leather jacket pockets, rocking back and forth on his feet. He raised an eye brow slowly and a cunning smile slowly crept on his face.

“Why are we here?” I questioned, trying to hide the slight fear in my voice.

“We’re going to party,” he said smoothly, offering his hand out to me.

I ignored his gesture and began to walk towards where the music came from. I stopped mid step and turned to see what he was doing; he just shrugged off my ignorance, placed his hand back in his jacket pocket and followed slowly behind.

When I reached the pond, I saw about fifty people spread out around it. Several huddled round the fire burning off to the right side, ten or eleven were splashing about in the water, throwing each other in or diving in themselves, and the rest of the group were dancing about with cans and bottles held in their hands.

“So, what do you think?” Danny’s voice came from beside me and I let out a startled scream. Up and till then I didn't realise he was beside me.

“This is stupid I have better places to be.” I yawned and cut a look besides me to Danny.

He cast his eyes my way. A grin spread across his face, not taking my hint as he said, “Andiamo.” He nodded towards the party and looped his arm around my waist.

We began to head to the where the fire blazed. Heads began to turn and people began to whisper to each other, but some just plain stared at us both.

“I want to go home,” I whispered to Danny, but he just pulled me closer to his side. I tried to wriggle out of his grip, but didn’t get very far and gave up trying. As we stopped at the bottom there was utter silence and stares from the crowd. So I gave it one last shot to try and leave. “Please, I want to go home. I would do anything not to be here and be stared at. Please, Danny,” I begged in whisper.

Before he could say a word, a figure stepped in front of us. He was tanned a deep brown with blond golden locks that touched his shoulders. Not a single facial feature was out of place, except the disfiguring scar slicing through his right eye brow. He had a perfectly shaped everything and lips that looked so sweet and innocent with a smile that could make girls fall hard for him. I recognized him as one of the new students at university.

The sudden realisation that I have also met him before out of school was like a knock to the head, but the only problem was where have a seen this guy before?

“Well, brother, you brought a guest. Welcome, my dear. You have obviously met my brother Danny. My name is Casper.” He took my hand and kissed my knuckles.

I shook my hand free from Casper’s grip and wriggled out of Danny’s grip around my waist.

“You look cheerful,” chuckled Casper.

“Well, why would I? Being dragged . . .” I pointed towards the party. “With . . .” I jerked my thumb towards Danny, who just eyed me from the corner of his eyes and gave a quick nod. I folded my arms and eyed Danny back.

“Hmm, I see your problem: you are unknown by many and you’re also standing here with my brother and me, when you could be studying of some sort.” Casper offered his hand to me and politely asked, “Please, can I show you around?”

“No, thanks, I think I want to go home,” I hinted, putting as much emphasis and volume on the part of me wanting to go home. When Danny didn’t take the hint, I turned and walked back to where the bike was parked, ignoring the glares of the crowd. Jeez, what was their problem?

I began to jog towards the bike when the sudden realisation hit me that I couldn’t drive the motorbike and I had no keys if I could. Great, I will have to walk.

“What’s wrong?”

I screamed at the voice coming from behind me and turned to be face to face with Danny. He was just inches away from me, staring with a look of hunger.

“I am going home, that’s what.”

“That wasn’t the question I asked.”

I shot him the finger, turned, and walked away without looking back.

I felt Danny’s hand grip my shoulder. The sudden shock of my body locking limb by limb sent a howl from my lips and a trickle of tears down my cheeks.

“What have you done to me?” I snapped, trying to move but getting nowhere.

“I did that for a reason. But if you want me to let you walk away, I suggest you answer my question,” he said without a hint of annoyance in his tone, but with amusement at me being stuck in the same position as he came round to the front of me. I was stood in mid stride and my fists were clenched by my side. I could do nothing more than look forward, talk and breathe.

“Let me go!” I snapped.

With a click of Danny’s fingers, I collapsed - completely limp - to the ground. I rolled onto my back and lay there, still not being able to move from the sudden shock, breathing in deep breaths and shakily exhaling them out again.

Danny stood over me. Slowly he tilted his head to the side. He looked as if a grin was about edge slowly onto his lips, but he managed to keep a straight face. He raised an eyebrow as he questioned, “So?”

“I don’t want to be here with you.” I hissed.

“We only just met. You need to learn my ways to understand and deal with me.” He offered his hand out to me, but I batted it away and climbed to my feet by myself.

I shoved Danny in the chest with all my force, making him stagger back an inch but not enough for me to escape from him before he would catch me. I stood in my spot and told him with every ounce of anger I had in me, “Who would want to meet you considering the way you treat people - me for instance. Who the hell would put someone in a little freeze frame thingy, whatever the hell that was - in fact how? It’s not poss. . . .”

Danny placed a finger over my lips, silencing me and sending a warm rush of heat rippling through me. “Hush, Winter. Stop talking, look into my eyes and tell me what you see.” He whispered.

I followed his instructions and looked into his eyes. “I see black.” I yawned. I could feel my body relax and go limp. I didn’t understand what was happening to me. Slowly, my eyes drifted open and closed as if I was about to fall asleep.

“Good. Now tell me how you feel.”

“I feel sleepy and warm. What’s happening to me?” I mumbled, a slight whimper escaping my lips.

“Hush, Winter. Close your eyes and sleep.”

Slowly I drifted into darkness, sweet, sweet darkness.

Before I went under, I heard Danny sigh and whisper the same words as before,

“Morte sarà Chiamata presto.”

The world began to tumble down around me.