Status: On the 14th of April 2013, I will be editing this story. Most chapters are subject to change, and some may be combined. Stay tuned for the remake.

Maleficent

When the Sky Comes Crumbling Down

Glittering flakes of silver snowed over the world, shimmering as it floated before fading into nothing. My eyes travelled over the world, wondering how I could have possibly believed that Earth had been real. Feeling the atmosphere of my forgotten home was like taking a breath of air after holding it so long underwater. Seeing this world was like stepping out of a black and white movie and into the wonderful, colourful world of Oz.

With the shattering of the wall, the world was starting to become familiar. Distant memories flashed into my mind, bombarding my thoughts as Earth began to flicker. Just a flimsy film layered onto the real world, Earth was disintegrating. The streets were replaced with dirt and cobblestone roads, the houses fading into cottages, but I was most interested in a familiar darkness that clouded the horizon.

Finding my bearing again, I darted for the woods, picking up speed when the mumbled outcries of the people started to hum through the breeze. Chancing a quick glance behind me, I could see a mass of bodies tentatively following me, reminding me of a mob of pitchfork and shovel bearing farmers.

Just as I turned back around, I gasped in fright as I collided with a solid object, tumbling to the floor in a heap.

“Raven?”

Panic filled my stomach at the thought that I’d been caught, but as I glanced at the boy sprawled beside me, I calmed slightly. “Jeremy,” I breathed.

His eyes found mine, filled with the care and trust that I thought would have diminished, and I couldn’t help but feel my heart flutter in relief. “What’s wrong?” he asked, pushing off the ground and holding out a hand for me to take.

Glancing behind me, I shook my head, brushing away the safety I felt in Jeremy’s presence. “I – I can’t,” I whispered, wrenching my hand from his grip and stumbling on towards my house. “They’re coming.”

“Raven, just stop for a second,” Jeremy insisted, his arms wrapping around me affectionately. The warmth slowed me slightly as the feeling seeped into me. This was exactly how it used to be and for a moment I relished the embrace.

“No!” I cried out suddenly, startling him. “They remember! Everyone remembers everything.”

Realisation dawned on Jeremy and he pulled me back, studying my face with deep concern. “Shit,” he muttered when he caught the terror in my eyes. “Of course they do. And they’ll be mighty pissed too.”

I nodded, attempting to untangle myself from the boy’s arms, but he only clung tighter.

“Come on,” he said, tugging my hand. “We’ve gotta get you out of here, and there’s only one place I can think of.”

Without a second thought, Jeremy was running, my toes nipping at his heels as he dragged me through the trees. Fluidly gliding through the forest, his footsteps barely made a sound, skipping over the floor lightly like a lizard running on water. The breeze, still chilly from earlier, pinched at my cheeks and the wind screamed in my ears but we didn’t stop until we came to a familiar house.

“Why did you take me here?” I choked out breathlessly. Jeremy didn’t answer, choosing instead to step into the familiar clearing.

A wide circle of trees bordered the old house, shadowing it in darkness from the bright sun overhead. Tangles of vines wrapped the forest possessively, their subtle approaching movements only noticeable from the corners of my eyes. I didn’t pay them mind though, they were simply playing.

“Now, tell me what happened,” Jeremy ordered as we stepped into the house.

I gave him an incredulous look, my body relaxing the longer I remained in the old house. I remembered it clearly now. This was my home. This was where I grew up.

“What do you think happened, huntsman?” I answered. “Basically, once the fireworks stopped, they all looked right at me, grabbed their damn pitchforks and chased me into the woods.”

Jeremy’s jaw twitched in amusement, knowing that they very well hadn’t had pitchforks pointed at me. Nevertheless, his concern quickly filled him. “This isn’t good,” he murmured.

I frowned, understanding his worry, but asking myself if I would have rather stayed in the fake world. “What do you mean?” I asked, narrowing my eyes. “We’re back in our world. Isn’t that a good thing?”

Jeremy contemplated my words as he eyed a dusty couch, probably considering whether he would rather stand. “Somehow I don’t think this was supposed to happen,” he grumbled, dusting off the couch and sending a storm of powder billowing around us. “This world was created for a reason and I don’t think you were ever meant to break it.”

I nodded, waving my hand at the specks floating about. “Bentley said something along those lines,” I confirmed. “I don’t quite know where he fits in, but my memory is what triggered the gate. You helping me remember the past is breaking the spell.”

Jeremy, having determined the couch was worthy enough, lounged back and eyed me warily. His silvery eyes swam with anger and guilt.

“That was what I was afraid of,” he growled.