Four Walls

five

Mercy

If I had one word to call Dr. Crane right now? I would call him a Jackass, see he’s nice to everyone else but once it comes to me? It’s like he doesn’t care about me, okay that sounds overly emotional because well it is. I don’t need him to care but I am after all his intern but they would be looking into him if I did poorly so shouldn’t he care about his namesake? I may just look up one of his ex-interns to see what they were doing with their lives, probably a hell of a lot better than Dr. Crane.

I sighed as I walked through the hallways going to the third wing; if I was going to get Bane to talk to me I had to get him comfortable. He probably hated third wing but in his file he is a terrorist so he rots away in there, he had shirked in size and that worried me which was the exact opposite feelings of other workers here. A catcall brought me out of my own mind causing me to roll my eyes but instantly froze in my step when a cackled echoed in the hallway.

Joker. I thought as I shivered in fear, sure no one calls him that here but I knew him as that and everyone else did as well but they fear if they said his real name he would show up kind of like in Harry Potter, of course Dr. Crane said they call him Jack so he can reconnect to his old self but I knew that would never happen, Jack is a lifer and I wouldn’t show him fear, so I quickly walked over to his door standing a few feet away which was silly since he shouldn’t be able to get out but he always does anyways, as a smile graced my face.

“Hello, Jack. How are you doing this afternoon?” Jack was not an ugly man even with the scars on his face, he was surly handsome but his mind was like Swiss cheese filled with nonsense and craziness. His smile was wide as he looked at me through his little window, and even with my heels on he was still taller than me.

“I’m great! But better that I got to see your smiling face, Mercy!” His voice shrilled causing me to wince as I nodded my head.

“It’s Dr. Guzman, Jack and you know that and that’s good. I’m sure you enjoyed your fresh air when you were away.” He started howling in laughter causing me to hold back an eye roll.

“Fresh air in that dump!?” he cackled again as I held back another sigh. “Oh Mercy, Mercy, Mercy give me some mercy and let me out?” he sang over to me as I stared at him with a blank face.

“Dr. Guzman and nice try. See you along.”

I turn my back to him with an eye roll, he wasn’t scary when he was hidden behind a door but I’m sure if he was out I probably would have cried all the way back to Dr.Crane’s office…okay maybe not. I don’t need another reason for Crane to see me as…well weak. I’m sure he thought of me as that but I was going to change his mind.

“Mercy has a date with the one with the over juiced monster.” He laughed as I cringed at him even knowing that; word must go around fast in here if he figured it out.

I had only gotten Bane and Joker had just come back only a few days ago. I would have to ask Ripleigh how he found out since they were friends, and I liked her. She was actually a sweet girl when Lily didn’t show up; Lily was a bit of a handful and no one knew how to control. I’m sure not even Dr. Crane didn’t, he always seem flustered when Lily was around, actually that’s the only time he ever show emotion when Lily was around other than barking orders at me. I wish I actually could help Ripleigh because I think she may need a woman doctor, rather than Crane because Lily is a flirt and that wouldn’t bother me at all.

No, I got Bane, the man who will not talk to me which drove me nuts. We had two appointments so far and both of times we went nowhere. This Bane that I got was a man who looked like he was in deep thought but wouldn’t dare share what he was thinking, and if he did for Crane he wasn’t for me. Sure, I read his file but all Dr. Crane had written was information I already knew which wasn’t too helpful either. He probably didn’t even give me all the files; I would have to actually have a sit down with him.

As I reached the third wing I got looks from the hospital security and they wouldn’t let me through which was bothersome but I had to make Bane feel comfortable and my office wasn’t anything but that, hell even for me.

“Listen, I have an appointment I need go through.”

“Sorry Doc, but it’s been stated only we go through these doors get the men and bring them to you.”

Today was not a great day and I was already getting tired from all the damn delays, I clenched my teeth staring at the man with an angry glint to my brown eyes, which is surprising because I’ve never been ill tempered until I started working here.

“You ask Dr.Crane yourself but he is busy right now with Joker.” Sue me, I used the big bad clown to get my way, I’m sure Dr. Crane will yell at me how unprofessional I am but at this moment I didn’t care. “So if you want to interrupt their meetings then have fun, I’m sure Crane would like that.”

They looked at each other before looking back at me and I try to hold on my serious face as much as I could. I could tell they were thinking if they should bother him or not which probably wouldn’t be in their favor. They both sighed annoyed at me and quickly opened the door but he followed me mumbling to himself and I’d chose to ignore his words because they were rude.

“Here you go, Dr. Guzman.” He almost sneered at me but I sent him a look for the corner of my eye making him stop himself, as he opened the door.

My eyes dance around the room, seeing things that I did not expect to see, books for one thing. If everyone was so worried and scared about Bane then why were they giving him things he could make weapons out of, I don’t get the people who work here, for sure. Bane turn to look at us and if he was shocked to see me, he didn’t let it show.

“Okay you can close the door. We’re fine.” He sent me a look of shock as he looked back at Bane then back at me. “Seriously, thank you for the help.” I said as I turn to look over at Bane, as he stared at me but didn’t say anything.

As soon as the door closed I walked more towards Bane, for my own sake so I wouldn’t feel so uncomfortable but I was actually more uncomfortable in my life. This was something that I probably shouldn’t have done because it leaves me in danger; also no one has done this. Doctors want to feel comfortable but I think I wanted Bane to feel more comfortable than anything.

“You’re okay that I am in your room?” I asked as I looked to see he had a desk with a chair, as he sat down on his bed.

“Truthful.” He started to say and I heard his accent though I couldn’t tell where it was from. “I like the walk, it gets me out of here.”

“Right. Well, now I know.” I said while my mouth dries up in embarrassment. “I’d figure you’d be much more comfortable in your room than in my little office.”

“Dr. Guzman I am not uncomfortable around you, it’s the exact opposite.” I stared at him shock as he sent a tiny smile my way.

“Oh. Oh.” I didn’t know what to say, he threw me off my train of thought, I am stunned completely. “Hm. Right.”

“You can collect your thoughts.”

Is he…is he training me how to talk to people? This was much more embarrassing than I thought it was going to be. I felt my face heat up as I held back what I was really thinking because he wouldn’t have seen the nice side of me and honestly it wasn’t his fault, it was just a bad day from the start.

“Bane, how are you? I mean really.” He stared at me as I looked at him back wanting so desperately for him to say something to me. “You have to be in pain without your mask.”

Nothing again.

“I could get it back for you.” I can see this being an interest of his as he looked at me and I can see him thinking about what I just said which made me happy, I could win his trust.

“Dr. Crane would allow you to do this.”

I gotcha.

“I can get him to do it, and if I do. You need to start talking me.” He stared at me and I just stared at him back; hoping and praying to whatever god was out there that he would agree to this.

“Agreed.” His voice had no real emotion as he turned his back on me as if I was dismissed which didn’t rub me the wrong way. I was so happy I could probably die, I’m sure he doesn’t trust doctors but if I could get him his mask back, I could get him to trust me.

My day just started to brighten up.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey it's me GlasgowXsmile, I hope you guys like the chapter. Also if you see any little mistakes you can drop me a line and I'll fix it asap, I just get really excited to update. Just picture me as a little dog peeing everywhere. hahah.