Four Walls

seven

"What the fuck happened to you?"

Crane looked up in irritation, able to recognize that haughty voice and feeling his stomach flip ever-so slightly. "Lily," he greeted. "Why are you here?"

"If I'm not mistaken, I have an appointment, doctor."

Mercy Guzman was standing behind the small blonde, giving her boss a helpless look, but he waved her off in a rude way. The way the she was trying to hide her own smirking at the bruises around his neck was not helping his mood, and now he had Lily to deal with.

"That appointment is set for one o'clock, as always," he told her, bored. "Also, it's for Ripleigh, not you, so tell me again, why are you here?"

Lily grinned, leaning against the would. "When will you learn, Jonathan? We're the same person."

"Even if you were the same person, which you are not, it doesn't explain why you're here three hours early." The lanky man took off his glasses to clean them, getting temporary relief from seeing her figure for just a few moments before he perched them back on his nose and leveled a blank stare at the twenty-one-year-old.

"Okay, you caught me," she shrugged, batting her eyelashes and striding over to him. "Maybe I just wanted to see you."

The psychiatrist rolled his eyes as she wrapped her arms around him, looping them around his neck and placing a soft, long, and ultimately electrifying kiss to the bruised flesh. It set his skin on fire, but he wasn't going to let her know that. Instead, he reached behind his head and gripped both of her wrists, untangling himself from her and stepping back.

That was not professional, and things had to be kept professional--no matter how hard it was sometimes. How had she even sweet-talked Guzman into walking her down here in the first place? The intern must have been even more of a pushover than he had originally perceived her to be.

Lily pushed her lips out in an enticing pout that Crane's gaze flickered to for just a moment before he went back to his desk, ordering papers in his briefcase. "Contrary to what you may believe, Lily, my schedule does not revolve around you, and I do have other patients to see."

"Oh, don't be mean, kitten," she bit her lower lip and trailed a finger up and down his arm slowly. It was extremely distracting, but Dr. Jonathan Crane had more resolve than anyone. It was something he prided himself on. He would not let her get to him-- not anymore. "Who're you going to see, then?"

"That would be confidential information, wouldn't it, Miss Rochester?"

"Fuck your confidentiality. You know I'm special. Besides, I've seen cases of child patients getting to do rounds with their doctors, so just think of me as a kid-- a ridiculously beautiful little kid." She beamed, happy with herself.

"Are you going to stop talking anytime soon?" Crane snapped, and the blonde pouted. "Besides, this isn't Grey's A-fucking-natomy. You can't just follow me around. You're not even supposed to have contact with some of these patients, Lily."

Still, he stepped out of his office with a clipboard in hand, and Lily followed.

"Yeah, well, I'm also not supposed to have contact with your cock, but we all make mistakes from time to time, don't we?"

Crane faltered in his steps down the corridor, glancing back and glaring icy daggers at the girl.

"Fine, fine, Jesus Christ, just please don't open your mouth."

Her hazel eyes seemed to sparkle, and she mimed zipping her lips and throwing away a key.

The first few stops were fairly routine. Crane opened the small window in the door and asked how each person was doing, sometimes getting an answer and sometimes not. Lily quietly padded behind him, whistling on and off until he waved a hand, coming close to slapping her in the head.

It was only when they reached Casper Salazar's room-- cell, more like-- that things began to get interesting. As soon as Dr. Crane opened the slot, she was against the door, both hands reaching through so that the man had to take a step back.

"Nice face, doc! How 'bout you let me make you even prettier!"

"She is obviously not very happy with you," Lily muttered.

"Shut up!" He bit out. "Casper? Casper, if you don't calm down, I'm going to have one of the orderlies come in and sedate you."

The girl laughed. "I'd like to see you try. I'll bash every last one of their heads into the wall!" She then began to murmur under her breath, something about no one having control over her anymore.

"Right..." The Doctor checked off a few boxes on his clipboard, then moved to shut the window, barely giving her time to pull her arms back.

The blonde rolled her eyes as they continued to walk. "You know, you are so rude sometimes."

"Lily," he said in a warning tone.

"I'm just saying, you really lack the bedside manner that doctors are supposed to have, especially psychologists."

"What do you even know about bedside manner?"

"Are you kidding me? I've been seeing doctors since I was, like, nine, and you may have the brains, but you're lacking in a few other areas." She raised her eyebrows as if it were some kind of innuendo, and the two continued on.

Jack Napier's cell came up after some time, and the two found the Clown Prince simply sitting on his cot, staring at the wall.

"Hello, doctor."

"Hey, Jack!" Lily yelled, slipping in between the door and Crane and pressing her face against the metal.

"Is that Lily?" He stood and paced over slowly.

"Why, yes it is."

"Ah!" He got close, then made a face. "Geeze, Icky, what happened to you?"

Crane seemed to snarl and stepped back.

"New girl got him real good. Almost took another whack at it just a few minutes ago," the blonde supplied.

"Well, good for her," he giggled. "She's got spunk! I like it."

"You like every girl who defies me," Crane said.

Jack smiled. "Look who's talkin', the doctor out for a stroll with his pet! Hah!"

"Hey!"

"Sorry, Lil, but it's true. You follow him around whenever you can."

Lily pouted. "It's just because he's so handsome."

She tried to stroke the man's face, but Crane caught her wrist too soon. "Enough. Glad to see you're doing well today, Mr. Napier."

He shut the window again and began walking at a brisk pace.

"Again, rude."

They checked on the rest of the patients in medium security, then stopped.

"Aren't there people in the third wing that need talking to?"

"There are," he confirmed, "But Ms. Guzman is taking care of the few patients in that wing as we speak. Also, you're not allowed there."

Lily rolled her eyes. "Rules, rules, rules, haven't we already been over this today?" She grinned and took a few steps toward the man, pressing her body against his. He simply exhaled and stared right over her head.

"I believe it's time for group therapy, Miss Rochester."

She sighed. "Fine, but I'm only going because I get to see you again at one."

Lily winked, then strode past him and skipped the rest of the way down the corridor, leaving Crane to take off his glasses and pinch the bridge of his nose.

"Christ."
♠ ♠ ♠
so, human error./flitterbloom. here. this hasn't been updated in forever, but i had, like, half a chapter sitting in my files and decided to finish it, so here you go. sorry about it being entirely in third person and dialogue heavy. figured it needed to get posted, though.
c: