Shaking Hands and Trembling Lips

Promise

Jack walked up the steps to Jamie's house. It was now day two of his suspension and day two that he had known about her 'problem'. He knocked softly on the door and listened to the footsteps inside. An average sized man with balding brown hair opened the door; it was Jamie's father.
"Mr. Allen, is Jamie home?" He asked in a polite voice. Mr. Allen scanned over his black eye with a curious gaze. He turned away from the door and faced the stairs.
"Jamie! Jack is here!" He bellowed up the steps. A tumble of steps can as she appeared at the end of the stairs.
"Hey Jack, come on in" She said with a sad smile. She must know what he came to talk about.
"Actually I think we should go for a walk, its nice outside. Spring is coming up."
Jamie sighed silently and nodded.
"Sure" She grabbed a Fly Leaf hoodie that lay on a chair and pulled it through her arms. "I'll be back" she said to her father. They were both silent as they began walking down the sidewalk. Jack had been right, it was nice out. The sun shined down warmly on them and a cool breeze left over from the old wind storms softly caressed their skin. After Jack was sure that they were far out of earshot he gripped the orange bottle in his hand tighter.
"Jamie is there something you want to tell me?" He asked her, giving her a chance to come clean.
"Nope. Uh wait, Heather and Brad broke up" She answered, dishing him that latest teen gossip.
"That's not what I mean" He sighed and shook his head.
"Then I don't have anything to tell you." Jack could feel his anger bubble up and boil over.
"What about this?!" he yelled and pulled out the pill bottle. Jamie turned pale at the sight of it. She stayed silent, afraid that her words might turn against herself.
"Are you seriously a junkie? A lowlife?" Jamie winced at his words as he hissed them at her.
"It's-it's not what it looks like." She mumbled.
"Oh really? Than what does it look like?"
"I-I was just holding those for someone. I don't do that kind of thing"
"What about the time that you passed out?" He yelled and threw the bottle to the ground.
"I-I" Jamie felt the warm tears roll down her face. She couldn't look into his eyes. "Jack, help me" She said and collapsed to her knees. Jack's eyes softened along with the rest of his features.
“How long?” He asked and crotched down next to her. Jamie looked at him only to look away again quickly.
“Long enough” She said and wiped a tear from her eye.
“How long?” He asked again. This time his tone was a bit harder.
“A couple of months. I don’t know I lost track.” She said and bit her lip. She could taste the blood in her mouth. Jack ran a hand through his hair.
“Why?”
“I thought it would help me I-I wanted to be happy”
“You don’t need drugs to be happy. Listen, we have three days until spring break. You are going to come to my house and we are going to cure you. I promise.”
♠ ♠ ♠
comments please