Status: It's rated R for language, sexual occurences and violence.

When I Met Ponyboy

Chapter 3: The DX

"Get up, get up! Rise and shine! You slept the whole afternoon away!"

For a moment I felt like I was still in my bed in Ohio but then I remembered everything that I had done. The switchblade, driving Lucy to Oklahoma, meeting Ponyboy, Two-Bit's kiss. I blushed at the thought.

It was Sodapop, trying to get me up. I rolled over in my bed and faced Soda.

"Get up!" He said again. This time he threw a blue button up shirt at my face. It had Kitt etched on the front. "I talked to my boss and he wants you to come in tonight. Even if you aren't good at cars, even though you say you are, we still need a cashier if cars don't work out."

I yawned. "Holy hell, Soda! You let me sleep till 5 in the afternoon!" I jumped outta bed and flung my suitcase open, grabbing a pair of jeans and the work shirt laying on my bed.

Soda laughed. " Bathrooms down the hall. But don't come back out till your breath smells better."

Yikes. I'll have to remember that in the future. The bathroom was small but efficient. I brushed my curly blonde hair that resembled a lion's mane. Though when I brushed it my hair would frame my face well, which looked somewhat decent. I looked at my eyes while brushing my teeth. Green, just like my Pappys'. I was only 5'2. I knew I was really short for a seventeen year old, but I didn't care. Nobody was brave enough to actually make fun of my height, to my face anyways.

I slipped into the jeans and did my best to button up the work shirt. It was incredibly small, even for my small frame. It wouldn't button past the top of my boobs, giving me maximum cleavage.

I sighed in frustration. This is ridiculous.

I sucked in my chest and got the last button to stay. I'd have to talk to Sodapop about a different shirt size. This was the best it was going to get for today. I got my converse off the floor and headed to the living room.

"Damn, Kitt. The boys at the DX aren't gonna get any work done with you bustin' out your shirt like that."

"Watch your mouth." I snapped. " It's the best I can do for the time being."

"Still..." Dallas winked at me, in return I rolled my eyes. "Soda get your ass in here and come see your new coworker."

Soda came in followed by Two-Bit. Of course. Just what I needed. God damn it. I crossed my arms in front of my chest, doing my best to hide them, which only made it worse.

"Are those real?" It was Two-Bit and I lunged at him before he said anything else.

"I'm only average-sized, it's the shirt. It's too small."

Soda pulled me off of him. "Well listen, you're gonna have a hard time today. If any of the boys at the DX start botherin' you, come get me. So will, Steve. We're gonna be late if we don't leave now. Can we take Lucy?"

"Yeah." I got the keys out and we all piled into Lucy, heading for the DX, for my first day of torture.

_________________

The DX wasn't so bad, if you didn't mind being the only girl there. Steve kept making me laugh after we picked him up on the way there, mimicking faces of Two-Bit and Soda. Which made me feel better and a little less nervous. Two-Bit didn't actually have to tag along which Steve very clearly pointed out to me.

I wasn't too bad with cars like I was jittery about, I actually calmed down a bit when I got inspected by Soda's boss. He seemed impressed and said I was welcome to work here. I would get my elbows deep in grease when I would notice a whistle or a catcall. Boys would come over and try to talk to me but I wouldn't mutter a single word.

Two-Bit would stand in a corner, smoking a cigarette, looking tough. He seemed to be making sure nothing got too out of hand. Sodapop always came over once in a while and ask if I was alright. I'd be too distracted by a hubcap to give him a straight answer.

Some hours later it was turning from late afternoon to nighttime. I had about thirty minutes till I could go home.

"Hey baby, why don't I see your face instead of that nice ass of yours, bending over that engine like you been doing all day."

That was my last straw. I turned around and socked him in the nose.

"Son of a bitch!"

Oh shit, it was a Soc. The Soc was on his back, lying on the asphalt. I hovered close to look him in the face.

"You ain't too bad looking a broad for being a greaser, but you're gonna regret punching me." He got up as best as he could while I stood, frozen in fear. I desperately hoped Soda or Steve or even Two-Bit would look my way. It seemed like the Soc was advancing when he was abruptly pulled back by the scruff of his red sweater.

"Heard every last word, Rodger." It was Johnny. "Two-Bit! Soda! Get over here." They were in the office the whole time. I shuddered to think what could've happened if Johnny hadn't showed up.

"Get your hands off me, greaser!" Rodger yanked out of Johnny's grasp and pulled out a switchblade. The boys did the same. I remembered my own switchblade in my back pocket. I flicked it out just like they did. I might've guessed I looked pretty tough for a girl.

"Well, you're just full of surprises, aren't you sweetheart?" Two-Bit muttered.

"I was gonna come check up on the new girl when I saw Roger here, harassing her, just like Dallas does to other girls." Johnny explained. Two-Bit's eyes narrowed.

"Listen boys!" Rodger stuttered, but he was interrupted because I cleared my throat. "And dame!" he corrected.

Rodger was backing up when we all circled him. It was four to one and he was just now realizing he was screwed.

"What do we do to people who disrespect ladies? We skin em, that's what we do." Soda looked fierce.

"Let em go, fellas," I said. "His nose looks broken, it seems like pretty boy should skip home and have Mommy fix it up for him, before it stays like that forever."

Two-Bit got right up in the Soc's face, which I thought was pretty brave for any boy to do, not just a greaser.

"Remember this is our turf and that's our girl you're talking to." Two-Bit yanked him around and kicked him in the ass where he started running away from the DX.

Before he was out of sight though we heard him holler, "You watch yourself, greaser." He seemed to be looking at Johnny when he said that.

Once Rodger had run off, Two-Bit tossed me a cigarette. "So Kitt, how was your first day?"

I looked over at Sodapop. Was he serious? Soda's expression said "When is Two-Bit ever serious? His name is Two-Bit."

"I ain't sure I'm cut out for this kinda stuff." I mumbled, also lighting up my cigarette.

"Sure you are, look how fast you pulled out that switch." Johnny started walking next to me on our way home. Steve caught up to us.

"Hey, what's all the commotion? I heard some the guys saying there was a fight. What happened?"

"Kitt here got to meet a Soc, face to face. Sure wasn't scared a bit though." Sodapop smiled at me.

Steve looked at me in shock. "Well, shit girl, sooner or later you're gonna be a big shot in this town."

"Fellas, I've only used that switch once and it was only to get way from The Bastard. I don't actually know how to use one." I took a drag to avoid eye contact with the boys. Two-Bit took his cigarette and stubbed it out beneath his heel.

"Let's go home, grab the gang and we'll go out to the lot. We'll teach you. In this town sweetheart you got to learn how to use one. Especially if you're a looker like you." He took my cigarette out of my mouth and put it in his.

Soda was pushing his jacket off to give to me but Two-Bit beat him to it. Tobacco and mint came back to me and I decided I was beginning to like it. I put my arms over Two-Bit and Steve's shoulders and we walked home like that. With grease on my hands and the smell of tobacco and mint forever etched into my skin.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you kids are liking it.