Status: It's rated R for language, sexual occurences and violence.

When I Met Ponyboy

Chapter 4: The Lot and Two-Bit's Confession

"No no no, you're doing it all wrong." Darry snatched my switch out of my hand and demonstrated what I clearly wasn't getting. I was almost reduced to tears because of his harsh lessons, but I knew if I cried I'd gain no respect from these boys. So instead I bit the inside of my cheek until i tasted blood.

Steve was beginning to notice my desperation and spoke up for me, "Come on Darry, why don't you let someone else try for a while. She's not gonna learn anything if you bark at her, like that."

Darry growled at Steve for a few seconds then motioned for Pony to come give it a try. "You see, what I noticed is that you're trying to stab and you're swinging your arm way up high. A Soc is gonna notice that real fast and cut your belly. What you do is this." He took my switch from Darry. "Quit slashing like Jack the Ripper and glide it down into his chest. Nice and smooth, you get me?"

I nodded. We've been going at this for two hours and I wanted sleep. I was beginning to get the hang of it but Darry would get me upset so we'd have to take breaks. Two-Bit tried to help but he ended up touching me too affectionately for blade fighting. He'd keep asking if I was okay and give excuses for wrapping his arm around my waist. The boys were finally fed up and asked him to stop but what really made Two-Bit stop was Dallas.

"Why don't you stop flirting with Kitt or break up with Kathy already." I stopped. Dallas looked smug while Two-Bit was his contrast and looked ashamed.

Now, I knew we never really defined if we had feelings for each other. We've known each other for two days for God's sake. But I couldn't help but flinch at the though of Two-Bit having a girl.

"I think I'm done for now." I whispered to no one is particular and trudged back to the cottage.

"Look what you did, Two-Bit." Dallas and Johnny caught up to me.

Dion and The Belmonts were playing on the radio inside again, it only reminded me of Two-Bit's dancing, which only made me feel more wretched.

"Just dance with me, Dallas." Dally grabbed my hand and we danced until I felt numb all over.

"Don't worry about Two-Bit. He's been thinkin' bout breakin' up with Kathy for months now."

"I ain't worried." I lied.

"Hell nah. I know you are worried. You can't fib to me, Kid."

Two-Bit came in. Johnny was watching us from the living room and Two-Bit looked worse than I felt.

"Night folks." Two-Bit nodded towards us and I hinted a spark of jealousy in his voice when he saw me dancing with Dally.

"Where ya headin'?" Dally asked.

"Kathys'." He said under his breath.

My heart dropped and I walked past Two-Bit to my bedroom, not making eye contact. I could almost hear Two-Bit whimper. Maybe I was overreacting. Then I remembered even if there was nothing going on between us, he still flirted with someone who wasn't his girl. And I was that someone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two weeks had passed and I had adapted to a routine. I woke up and went to work at the DX, came home, helped make dinner and hung out with the boys and then it would start all over again. Occasionally, I could go to a movie with Pony and Johnny. Other than that I was still fairly new to Oklahoma.

I did my best to ignore Two-Bit, but it wasn't like him to sulk for long. Me, on the other hand was still upset about the whole Kathy fiasco and refused to give him any attention.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Kitty, can you make us some cake?" Sodapop pulled me into a bear hug and was batting his eyelashes.

I snickered. "You don't have to beg."

It was Sunday, which was my day off from the DX. I decided to stay home and wear my most comfortable pair of jeans and Steve's flannel button-down. All of the boys were beginning to wake up and heading over to the Curtis house. Rain was pouring down outside and was pounding on the tin roof, making it as noisy as hell.

Dallas and Johnny came in through the front door and headed straight to the Kitchen, hunting for breakfast.

"Girl, you're in for one hell of a ride." Dallas snagged the wooden spoon and started licking the cake batter.

"What the hell are you talkin' bout?" I picked out a new spoon.

"Two-Bit broke up with Kathy last night." Dally wiggled his eyebrows flirtatiously.

I kept mixing the batter, doing my best to make to look nonchalant.

"So..."

"And Two-Bit mentioned your name as to why he was breaking up with her."

I dropped my spoon onto the floor. "He did what?!" Dallas was grinning from ear to ear. I noticed chocolate on his nose.

"You're not gonna be single for much longer, kid."

"You don't know that! Maybe I'll say no."

Dallas's laugh was like a bark. "Bullshit. You have the hots for him, you're just too scared to admit it."

I put the batter into a cake pan and slammed the oven door shut.

"When is Two-Bit coming over?"

"Any minute now and if I were you I'd slip into anything else besides Steve's flannel."

I raced into my room and rummaged through my closet. Wait, what am I doing? I don't know this boy. He just broke up with his long-term girlfriend and I literally spent the last two weeks hating his guts.

My thoughts were interrupted by a knock at the door.

"Kitt?" It was Two-Bit.

"I'm changing." I lied, but he walked in anyways.

"I'm guessing you heard. No doubt Dally told ya."

I did my best to not to care so I just replied with a short, "Yep."

"Oh c'mon, Kitt! Don't be like that. I did this for you!"

"Should I be honored Keith?" His eyes widened when I used his real name. "Should I bow down and thank you?"

"No, but I'm not the one who's been ignoring me for two weeks."

I sighed in frustration and headed to the kitchen to check on the cake. I pulled it out and set it on the counter to cool.

He followed me. "Look Kitt, I really like you. Ever since you came in through that door, looking scared to death."

"Well, you should've told me about Kathy if you really cared."

"You're right, I should've told you but I've done my best to fix it."

"You still shouldn't-"

Two-Bit took my face in his hands. "You talk too much."

He pressed me into the counter and pulled me into a deep long kiss.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, there's so much dialogue in this one. I promise Chapter Five will have more action.