‹ Prequel: Just Can't Let You Go

The End of the Innocence

Shane

As Evelyn was in school, and Logan was working down at the hospital -- he had gone to school to become a nurse -- I sat at the piano, a pad and pen next to me as I thought of something to write. I had stepped out of the light as a guitarist and singer a few months ago, seeing how there was so much tension between everyone, especially after Reggie's cousin had killed himself.

Playing a few notes here and there, I just started throwing words together, knowing that I'd get a song better that way. I barely noticed when the front door opening and Logan walking in for lunch. "So it goes, history shows, desert must expand; Camels sail like wooden ships, like women down The Strand. There's sand on Second Avenue, and the wind blows like a train; Taxi's line up like a strand of pearls, around the block again."

The notes became easier as I started the chorus, not noticing that Logan had started writing it down. I closed my eyes as I went on. "I remembered everything, every windowpane. Every word came back to me, the way it used to be. Then I saw your face across the street, Through the tears of Hercules."

As I continued, I thought back to every time Logan and I split, leaving nothing but heartache and misery in our wake. Thinking back to the times when I was separated from my beloved daughter, knowing it would only cause pain to see Logan again. Feeling the tears flow down my cheeks, I remembered every pained expression I've ever caused Logan, especially after our first night together. "You say love wrecks everything, and none of us survive. But I got over you last night and I am still alive. 'Til I saw your face across the street, Through the tears of Hercules."

The song soon came to an end, and I slowly wiped away the tears, wishing that I had become the man Logan needed instead of being the coward I was. I missed out of so much in his life, not to mention my daughter's life, I barely got to see her grow up because I was too afraid. I jumped when I heard the clearing of a throat. Looking over, I saw Logan, who was placing the pad down on the piano bench beside me. "Let's go get something to eat. You look starved."

Not saying anything, only nodding, I stood up and grabbed Logan's hand. Pulling him to my side, I kissed his head. Mumbling with my lips still pressed to his head, I said, "I love you, Logan." As we walked out the front door, I thought back to when Logan had told me to pursue music. He was so awe-struck and amazed that I was so good.

Eighteen Years Before

I was currently in the band room, guitar in hand, strumming out chords while humming along with the song in my head. I jumped a little when I saw heard someone start working the drums, keeping up with me. I looked over to see a guy with ear-length curly hair and a smile on his face. As we went on, I started to sing. "
As he came into the window, it was the sound of a crescendo. He came into her apartment, he left the bloodstains on the carpet. She ran underneath the table, he could see she was unable. So she ran into the bedroom, she was struck down, it was her doom."

We went on, soon being joined by someone on bass, who I didn't get a good look at, and a keyboardist, a dark-haired guy with gray eyes. I looked up when I saw Logan walk into the room, giving him a wink as we continued to play on. I saw the flashes of a camera, and thought that he could have been on the school paper, so I didn't say anything.

A while later, we ended the song, and all of us were laughing. Once everything calmed down, Logan said, more to himself it seemed like, "You guys should become a band. You guys could go far."

"You could get pretty far in the basketball world if you keep at it, Logan," the curly-haired guy said, setting the drum sticks down and coming over to where I was.

"Whatever, Reggie," Logan said, clearly blushing. I smiled before setting the guitar on its stand and getting up.

"What do you say, guys?" I asked, keeping my accent from coming out. "Might as well try," I went on, shoving my hands into my pockets. After a round of agreements, we all walked out, throwing jokes at one another before splitting ways and heading home.


Coming back to the present, I looked around the crowded sidewalks, watching people carry on with their lives. Right before the light changed, I nearly choked on my own saliva. There, sitting at one of the outside tables of the little bistro, was Wesley. I hadn't seen him since about two months before moving from Ireland.

As if feeling my stare, he looked right at me, a look of pure hatred and anger pouring into one freaky stare. When the light changed, I sped off down the road like a bat at of hell. And for the rest of the drive to the restaurant, I couldn't help but remember his face as the police took him to prison for raping and then murdering my only sister, Hayley.
♠ ♠ ♠
The first song, before the flashback, is Tears of Hercules by Keith Harkin. The second song, in the flashback, is obviously Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal.