‹ Prequel: Just Can't Let You Go

The End of the Innocence

Logan

"Shane..Shane what's going on?" I asked for the third time since we arrived at the restaurant but once again he wouldn't answer me but instead continued to stare off into space with this terrified yet worried expression written across his face. Sighing deeply,I looked around before removing my shoe and running my foot up his leg to his inner thigh,causing him to jump and grab my foot.

"What are you doing?" He asked with a whisper but his cheeks were turning red. I got my foot back and shoved it down into my shoe before leaning forward.

"Trying to get your attention and it worked,I've been calling you for the last ten minutes" I said calmly,Shane sighed and leaned back in his chair running his hands over his face which caused me to become worried "Shane...what's going on..your never like this unless it's something I should worry about...." I said before my eyes widened a bit "Wait,is Evy ok?" I asked,my thoughts landing on our daughter.

Shane chuckled softly "Evy is fine honey and believe me,there is nothing for you to worry about" he said,reaching over and taking my hands staring into my eyes. I could see the flicker of a lie but didn't question it. All I could do was pray that Shane would tell me what was going on before it became to late and our lives would shatter around us once again.

Time Elaspe

"Mom! come on! You promised I could go!" Evy exclaimed,standing in front of me in the kitchen as I held her report card. I set it down and looked at her.

"Evelyn Aine Saunders,young lady you will not raise your voice at me" I said clearly,resting my hands on the table. Evelyn blanched and became quiet,her tantum knocked to a stop "I know I told you that you could go to the dance but i clearly remember saying only if you got good grades on your report card" I said.

"But mom! dad said I could go!" she said,I shook my head and sighed.

"I'm sorry Evelyn,you got an F on your report card. there is no dance. You know there is punishment for bad grades,even more so in a subject your amazing at. Ever since that boy started coming around. it's like school doesn't matter to you anymore" I said. Evelyn looked down at her feet and sighed.

"I'm sorry mom...I promise I'll have it up by next card.." she said softly just as I pulled her close and stroked her hair.

"I know i can be mean sometimes and I don't try to be. It's only because I want you to do and be your best and I know you can do it" I said,kissing her temple before I felt her body go stiff.

"Mom...there's a man in our window" she said softly causing me to turn quickly and push Evelyn behind me as I watched the man run off. I ran around the house,checking and making sure everything was locked before returning to Evelyn and holding her close as we waited for Shane to get home.