‹ Prequel: Be With You

(You Drive Me) Crazy

Part One

Baby, I'm so into you. You got that Something, what can I do? Baby, you stood me around. The Earth is movin, but I can't feel the ground.

~*~*~


“Hey Zach!” Piper called out, looking up from the customer she was assisting as the bell chimed over the door.

Zach smiled back at Piper. “Quinn in the kitchen?”

“Mm-hmm. Go on back.”

“Thanks, Piper.” Zach crossed the shop and went through the door leading to the kitchen. “Babe!” Zach called out.

“Hello love!” Jordyn called back. Zach rounded the corner to find Quinn sitting on the counter, with her laptop in front of her and Jordyn with her’s in her lap.

“What are you two doing?” Zach asked.

“Stuff,” Quinn answered vaguely.

“Stuff?”

“Stuff.” Zach shook his head and hopped up beside Quinn, leaning over to kiss her, checking out what was on her laptop.

“Butts?! You’re looking at asses?”

“More specifically, we are familiarizing ourselves with the asses of hockey players, so that we can recognize them coming or going,” Jordyn said. Quinn giggled.

“What am I going to do with you two?”

“Love us forever,” Quinn replied.

“Don’t worry, Chuckie,” Jordyn added. “You have our favorite ass....after Crosby for me and Tazer for Quinn.”

Quinn blushed as Zach turned to her. “Really? I’m not even your favorite hockey booty?”

“Well, Tazer’s has this bubble quality in addition to the donkey-ness that yours does not posses. I can grab yours whenever I want though so I suppose I should award you bonus points for that.”

“Yes, definitely bonus points.” Quinn set her laptop aside and scooted closer to Zach.

“And I get to have sex with you so that’s easily an extra thousand bonus points so guess that makes your ass my favorite after all,” she whispered close to his ear. He smiled in triumph and pulled her across his lap and kissed her.

“Sweet tiny pockets! Stop it you two!” Jordyn said, swatting Zach’s leg.

Quinn giggled and Zach wrapped an arm around her waist, holding her in his lap. “So, I have news and I’m not sure the two of you are going to want to hear it,” Zach said.

Jordyn closed her laptop and looked at him expectantly. “Spill it.”

Zach could hear Piper talking and laughing with a customer out front and he sighed, knowing none of the girls would like the news he was about to share. “Ruutu is done for the season in Raleigh.”

Quinn sat up straight. “You got called up?!”

He shook his head. “No....but Dalps did.”

The girls sat in stunned silence before Jordyn finally spoke. “Holy. Fuck.”

“Zac is supposed to be on his way over to talk to Piper.”

“Is he going to break up with her?” Quinn asked suspiciously. “Because I will maim him if he does. I hope he knows that.”

“He’s well aware not to cross either one of you,” Zach laughed. “And he is not going to break up with her over this. Its only three hours and she can go up to Raleigh every weekend or he’ll come here whenever he can.”

“She’s going to freak out,” Jordyn said. “When does he leave?”

Zach glanced at the clock on the wall and frowned. “Four hours.”

“Four hours?!” Quinn yelled, hopping down to the floor. “Are you kidding me?!”

Piper walked into the kitchen and all three immediately pasted bright smiles on their faces. “What are you yelling about, Quinn?” Piper asked.

“Nothing,” Quinn replied. “Zach is just being dumb.”

“Okay, well, Zac stopped in and wanted to take me to lunch. Are you okay if I go?”

“Yes, go,” Jordyn said, standing up and crossing to Piper and hugging her tightly. Quinn walked over and joined the group hug.
“What has gotten into you two?” Piper laughed.

“Nothing,” they chorused. They all walked into the front of the nibble and Jordyn and Quinn pulled Zac into a hug. He smiled grimly at them.

“Good luck,” Quinn whispered.

“In Raleigh, but with Piper too,” Jordyn added. “We’ll take care of her, promise.”
“We’ll watch every game and cheer for you,” Quinn said.
“I love you two,” Zac said lowly. “And I’m glad Piper has you both.”
“We love you too, Dalps,” Jordyn said, giving him a quick kiss on the cheek. Quinn kissed the other cheek and both girls let him go.
Piper watched in bewilderment. “What is going on?”

“We’re hot for your boyfriend,” Quinn said. “And we can’t fight it anymore.”

Piper laughed and walked over, grabbing Zac’s hand in hers and pulling him towards the door. “You have your own Zach,” she pointed out to Quinn. “And you have your own blonde,” she said to Jordyn, “so hands off my merchandise,” she teased as they went out the door.

Zac let Piper into his apartment and stepped in behind her. He walked towards the couch and pulled her down beside him. He held her in his arms for several minutes before exhaling a held breath.

“What's wrong, Zac?” Piper asked, looking up at him.

“I love you, Piper.”

“I love you too.”

“This is hard for me to say....” Piper sat up and held Zac’s hand in hers. She looked at him with wide eyes.

“Are we breaking up?”

“No! Oh my God, no, Piper. I...” He sighed. “I got called up. For the rest of the season.” Piper felt the tears well up in her eyes. She wasn't sure if they were happy or sad tears but as they started to spill, Zac pulled her into his arms and hugged her fiercely. “I don’t want to break up, Piper but its gonna be hard. I’ll only be three hours away, which is good. You can visit whenever you want, and I’ll come to Charlotte when I can. I don’t want to lose you. You’re the best thing that has ever happened to me.”

“We’ll figure it out,” Piper promised. “When do you leave?”

“I need to be at the airport in four hours. I fly to New York for a game tomorrow.”

“Let’s get you packed then.”

“How about we do this first, and pack later,” Zac suggested, tipping her face to his and kissing her breath away.

Jordyn and Quinn whispered conspiratorially at their kitchen table three weeks later. Piper was locked in her bedroom, and had stayed there most of the weekend. The Hurricanes had been on a road trip and Zac and Piper had not seen each other in over a week. They talked and texted every day but it wasn’t the same. They had seen each other only twice since he had left, both short visits that only lasted a day. They knocked at Piper’s door and then barged in, flopping down on her bed on either side of her.

“It’s game day!” Quinn shouted excitedly.

“I don’t want to go,” Piper said, her head buried into a pillow.

“You have to. The guys have all been asking for you,” Jordyn said.

Piper sat up, a strange look on her face. “Wait a minute; the Checkers don’t have a game today. They’re in Rockford.”

“Exactly,” Quinn replied. “But the Hurricanes are home and we’re going. Now get moving, we hit the road in an hour.

“Are you serious?”

“Of course we are. Dalps left us tickets at will call. Promised us the best seats in the house so Jordyn can drool over Jordan Staal.”

“Donkey booty!” Jordyn cried victoriously.

“Why didn't he tell me?” Piper asked.

“Wanted it to be a surprise,” Jordyn answered. “We’ve been talking to him all week.

Quinn whistled loudly when they found their seats. “Your boy did good,” she said appreciatively, looking out at the ice where the two teams warmed up. The girls filed into their seats, each in a different Dalpe jersey that Zac had set them up with.

“Stretch my pretties, stretch!” Jordyn said softly. The girls giggled as players from each team began to stretch. Quinn and Jordyn giggled and whispered furiously over Marc Andre Fleury but Piper’s eyes never strayed from Zac. He stopped near the glass and looked up at Piper, smiling. She returned his smile and gave a small wave.

“Friend of yours?” the girl beside her in a Penguins jersey asked quietly with a knowing smile. Piper looked over to her and smiled back. Her skin was the color of mocha and her brown eyes were friendly and warm.

“Yes,” she replied.

“I’m Vaughn.”

“Nice to meet you. I’m Piper.”

“Your boyfriend I assume?” Piper blushed and Vaughn’s eyes scanned the Penguins players. She pointed as one breezed by. “That one’s mine.” They shared a smile before turning back to watch their boyfriends.

Both teams skated out onto the ice for the first period and with much fanfare, the Hurricanes starting lineup was announced. Quinn, Jordyn, and Piper leapt to their feet and cheered wildly when Zac was announced. They squealed like girls and clapped, giggling as they sat back down.

“You got a fan club, Dalps?” Jeff Skinner nudged him as they lined up for the national anthem. Zac blushed.

“That’s Piper and her friends, Quinn and Jordyn.”

“Do we get to meet her this time? You’ve locked her away both times she’s been here.”

"Maybe,” he answered.

As the second period ended, the three girls took a stroll around the concourse. The score was tied at one and they were having a great time. They grabbed drinks and went back to their seats, chatting away. As they sat, Quinn reached into her purse and handed Piper a set of keys.

“What are these?” Piper asked.

“Yours,” Quinn said.

“I don’t understand?”

“They’re the keys to your new apartments,” Jordyn said.

Piper’s face fell. “You’re kicking me out?”

Quinn and Jordyn grinned at her. “We are,” they answered.

“But why? Did I do something?”

“No, we're doing something for you,” Quinn answered.

“I don't understand.”

“Those keys are to your new apartment here, in Raleigh. With Dalps,” Jordyn replied.

“You got me an apartment?” Piper whispered.

Jordyn nodded. “Leased through the end of June. You and Dalps will have to figure out for yourselves what you do when the season ends but you're here, with him, until then.”

“What about my car? And my clothes?”

“Not to worry,” Jordyn said. “Chuckie and Peters are driving here as soon as their plane touches down with your car. Quinn packed a bag for you with all the things she could find in the laundry and we’ll overnight the rest of it first thing Monday.”

“You guys!” Piper threw her arms around Jordyn and Quinn threw her arms around her too.

“We love you Piper and you’ve been so sad and we know Zac is sad too so we wanted to do this for you, and for him.”

“Oh my god!” Piper exclaimed. “The nibble! I can’t just leave you guys with that!”

“Don’t worry about the nibble,” Quinn told her. “We have some interviews on Monday.”

“I am so sorry to interrupt but did you say the nibble?” Vaughn asked from the other side of Piper. “As in Scrumptious Nibbles, in Charlotte?” The girls nodded. “I love that place! You work there?” She asked Piper.

“Yes, in the front,” Piper answered shyly.

“I thought you looked familiar. I stop in at least twice a week. The chocolate cupcakes with the cream cheese filling are my favorite!”

Quinn grinned. “My favorite too. I'm Quinn, the baker,” she said, sticking her hand out to Vaughn.

“Vaughn. So nice to meet you.”

“I’m Jordyn, aka the brains of the operation,” she said as she shook Vaughn’s hand.

“I didn't mean to eavesdrop; I think its sweet what you two did for her. I get it," she said with a wink at Piper.

“You live in Charlotte?” Jordyn asked.

“Live and work. I used to be in New York City but I got transferred here. Great city, just further away from my boyfriend now, which is what brings me to Raleigh today, to see him play.”

Quinn peered closer to Vaughn’s jersey and her eyes grew wide. “Kris LeTang is your boyfriend?”

Vaughn smiled proudly. “The one and only.”

“I am so incredibly jealous of you right now. That hair.” Vaughn laughed. “How did you meet? Please tell me it involved a lot of murmured french.”

“My company did some work for the Rangers last season and I got to know a few of the guys. They invited me out with them one night and the Penguins were in town so Jordan was visiting Marc. Well, he brought along some of his teammates. I didn’t really know anyone, Kris didn’t really know anybody and we ended up getting to know each other. There was some murmured French,” Vaughn winked.

“I am going to swoon now," Quinn said. "Swoon and die. Just leave me here." Her phone rang and she huffed, reaching for it. "This better be good, Chuckie. I've got Kris LeTang's girlfriend in my midst and I am trying to learn everything I can." She giggled. "Yes, I still love your ass best." She paused. "Oh, do I love you best? Yes, I suppose I do. I mean, Vaughn hasn't introduced me yet to the Penguins and well, I can't promise I won't run away with James Neal. I mean, hubba hubba." She grinned like a mad woman and handed the phone to Jordyn. "He wants to talk to you," Quinn said.

"What's up?" She paused and listened. "No, I can't make her behave. She’s been your girlfriend for four months; you know she has no shame. I mean, I can try but no promises." Jordyn laughed. "You're such a sucker. She'd never and you know it." After a beat, she continued. "Love ya too, Chuckie!" She handed the phone back to Quinn who immediately cooed at her boyfriend. She hung up a few moments later with a shared I love you between them.

"Zach and Justin are already on their way. They're gonna drive up tonight. Apparently Chuckie misses me," Quinn announced. "Oh, and Justin wants to see me too, you know, because we’re besties." Jordyn shook her head. "I guess maybe he wants to see you too Jordyn," Quinn added with a smile.

"Justin is your boyfriend?" Vaughn asked.

"Yes; the goalie."

"Very nice. Bendy?"
"Oh my god, you have no idea," Jordyn giggled.
"And he smells good too," Quinn said. "Total package." The girls shared a laugh as the third period got ready to start.
On a breakaway, with six minutes left in the period, Zac skated down the ice, tunnel vision of only the goal in front of him. He fired the puck and closed his eyes, praying. His eyes shot open at the sound of the goal horn, then his teammates hugging him. Piper, Quinn, and Jordyn stood, cheering and yelling and clapping, jumping up and down. He smiled at them and they yelled louder. Piper blew him a kiss and his smile grew bigger.

"Way to go Dalps!" Jordyn said as she saw him approach the family lounge. She and Quinn were waiting outside for him, telling Piper they were going in search of a bathroom. Jordyn hugged him when he reached them. "Hell of a game winner."

Quinn hugged him next, kissing his cheek. "Nice job in front of the girlfriend." Zac blushed.

"Thanks, Quinn."

"Also, these are for you," she said, handing him a set of keys.

"What are these for?"

"Your new place," Jordyn said. "We leased an apartment, for you and Piper. Here."

"You guys did what?"

Quinn and Jordyn smiled, pulling Zac into a hug. "Promise to take care of our girl?" Quinn asked.

"I promise."

"Good. Now go get her." He kissed each girls cheek and then walked around them to go inside and find Piper. He grabbed her around the middle and picked her up in his arms when he got to her, crushing her to him.

"Your friends are something else," Zac said.

"Yes they are," Piper agreed.

"Dalpe!" Jeff called from across the room. "Are you gonna introduce us or what?"

Zac took Piper's hand in his and tugged her across the room. "This is my girlfriend, Piper. Piper, these are my teammates."

"Hi," Piper said shyly.

"Piper, it is a pleasure to meet you," Jeff said, taking her hand and kissing the back of it. "Please tell us you'll be visiting more often. Dalps is way more on his game with you in the stands."

"Actually, I will be at more games. My friends found me a place here, for both of us." Piper pointed at Quinn and Jordyn who waited across the room.

"Oh really?" He checked the two out. "They available?"

"Both very taken," Zac answered. "Quinn is with Boychuk and Jordyn is dating Peters."

"Lucky bastards."

Piper laughed as she sat in Zac's lap later that night at a local bar. Quinn and Jordyn were at the bar, ordering drinks for themselves. A few men approached them but they turned them away every time, giggling with each other.

"Vaughn! Hey Vaughn!" Quinn yelled out, waving to the woman who had just walked into the bar. She smiled and walked over to them.

"Ladies, meet Kris. Kris, these are my new friends, Jordyn and Quinn."

"C'est un plaisir de vous rencontrer," Kris said.

"Yep, I can die now," Quinn said.

"Don't die before I kiss you one last time," Zach said in her ear.

"Chuckie!!!" Quinn squealed, turning around and throwing herself at him. She kissed him fiercely. "I love you. Please learn French."

"I love you too,” he chuckled, holding her close. “I missed you."

"Come on," she said, dragging him by the hand across the bar. She found the bathroom and pushed him inside, locking the door behind them.

"She did not just do that," Justin said, sliding into the place Quinn vacated at the bar.

Jordyn sighed. "Yes she did." Justin pulled her against him and kissed her. "Wanna go next?" He teased.

"In a bathroom at a bar?! Hell no!" Justin laughed as he kissed her again. "Justin, this is Vaughn and Kris. We sat next to Vaughn at the game and she lives in Charlotte too."

"Its nice to meet you,” Justin said, shaking Kris’ hand. “You have fun today?” Justin asked Jordyn.

“You know we always have fun,” Jordyn replied.

“Yes, you three usually do make your own fun.” Jordyn grinned.
"Vaughn, you should come with us to the home game next week," Jordyn saud. "We have three tickets so you can have Piper's."

"Sure; that sounds like fun. Let me give you my number and we'll make plans," Vaughn said. As the two girls exchanged numbers, Quinn and Zach reappeared, his arms wrapped tightly around her as she giggled into his shoulder.

"Really?" Jordyn said. "You couldn't wait?"

"Nope," Quinn answered. "I'm shameless and can't behave, remember? Plus, I thought it'd be inappropriate to break in Piper and Zac's place first. I mean, I'm really curious about the strength of the couch but you know, they should have that opportunity first although gross if I have to sit there later."

"And its not gross for the rest of us if you and Chuckie?" Jordyn asked.

Quinn tilted her head to the side. "A fair point that I had not considered."

"Because you never consider."

"That is not true. I consider stuff."

"Like?"

"Uh...that your boyfriend is hot and bendy and smells good?"

Jordyn exploded in laughter. "Oh my God! Are you actually a blonde? Did you consider him when you were just in the bathroom with Chuckie?"

"Maybe," Quinn answered slowly with a devilish grin.

Justin grinned and exchanged high fives with Quinn. "Was I good?" he asked her.

"Fan-fucking-tastic," Quinn winked.

Zach shook his head. "You're making me look bad," he complained. "I'm Zach by the way," he said to Vaughn and Kris.

"I'm Vaughn, he's Kris," Vaughn replied with a smile. "And in the fifteen minutes I've known your girlfriend, I feel for you." Jordyn burst out in loud laughter.

"Its funny because it's true," she said between laughs. "I feel for you too, Chuckie."

Quinn stuck her tongue out at both of them. "I am an amazing girlfriend."

"I’m convinced that you're amazing in bed," Vaughn said.
"Otherwise, why else would Chuckie here let you take him in a bar bathroom?"

"I seem to recall a time when you had your way with me in a restaurant bathroom," Kris said.

"I'm sure it was much cleaner."

"That was an incredibly clean bathroom for a bar," Quinn piped up. "Also, pot, meet kettle." The two girls laughed.

"Didn't you almost have your way with me in a restaurant bathroom?" Zach asked.

"Yes; when I met your parents."

"I remember that being an excellent night," Zach said, pulling her to him and kissing her.

"Very excellent," Quinn agreed. "Wanna get a hotel room?" She slipped her hands into the back pockets of his jeans and squeezed his butt. "Like right now," Quinn insisted. He smiled and kissed her again.

"Say goodbye to your friends," he whispered in her ear. Quinn grabbed his hand and pulled him out of the bar, yelling bye over her shoulder as she went.

"She is a hot mess," Vaughn observed.

"Yes she is," Jordyn agreed with a smile. "But the best friend you could ever have."