Sequel: Captain of My Life

Oh Captain, My Captain

Oh Captain, My Captain (Sidney Crosby) 006:

Chapter Six
“I can’t believe you were out that late! You should have told me, I could have pushed this to lunch instead of breakfast!” my Dad said and I shook my head.

“You like your breakfast, so I came for breakfast. Besides, I haven't been here in a while.”

“But did we have to come here?” Mom complained as she looked around the old dinner.

I sighed and shook my head and looked at Dad, “Did you have to bring her?”

“Be nice.”

“I try, but, you know!”

“Dear, this is the diner that Lexi and I came for breakfast every Sunday morning.”

“It’s a dump, I’m glad I never came.”

I rubbed my forehead and then looked at my Dad who was just giving me an ‘I know’ look. The waitress came over and looked at my father, I stared at her because she looked familiar and I smirked when it hit me.

“What can I get for you, Randy?”

“The usual, Roxie,” he said and the woman nodded her head and then looked at my mother.

“Tea please.”

“And you- My goodness, is this, Alex?”

“All grown up,” my father said and I smiled.

“Goodness, I haven’t seen you in-“

“Four years, I know. I’ve been on the road. It’s been a while, Roxie.”

“Girl, I know you’re going to stand you tiny ass up and give me a hug.”

“Yes ma’am,” I said and stood up and hugged her.

She smiled and then pointed towards the wall where my pictures from when I was younger hung. All of them hockey, of course, each of them from a newspaper, pictures from when my team won the peewee championship, the junior championship, and even times where I got a goal. My old jerseys hung on the wall and I was in awe that they were there. They even had pictures up from my time in the AHL to even when I was on the Kings. A picture of me holding the Cup was hanging up and a smile was placed on my face and I looked towards my Dad.

“This is your home, little missy, and you’re always welcomed here!” Roxie, who I remembered to be the owner’s wife, said and I smiled and nodded my head.

“Thank you.”

“There’s a reason why I picked here,” my Dad said and I nodded my head.

“So I’m assuming you’ll want your usual as well,” the waitress said and I smiled towards and nodded my head, “Chocolate chip pancakes with strawberries and whipped cream, syrup on the side, and four slices of bacon.”

“I can’t believe after all this time, you still remember.”

“I’m not dead, sweetie. My brain still works,” she teased and I laughed.

Roxie walked away and I was instantly attacked my older men who remembered me as a child and followed me during my time as a hockey player. Some of the men I remember, but some were new. Older men, I overheard explain to the younger people who I was and what I was able to do.

“You’re famous here, Lexi,” my father said proudly and I smiled towards him.

‘…I still hate this place…’ I thought as it only reminded me of the times my mother and I argued. It wasn’t the restaurant that I hated, it was this whole town. There have been numerous times that my mother embarrassed me in front of people, and it always led back to me playing hockey.

“Here’s your food,” Roxie said as she placed the plates down in front of my father and I, “Hope you enjoy.”

“Thank you,” I said and she walked away and I looked towards my mother to see her looking at my plate with disgust. I sighed and placed my fork down, “What is it now?”

“How can you eat that? That has so many calories in it!”

“Dear, do you know how many calories, Lexi here burns when she’s on the ice?!”

“It’s summer! Where is she going to find ice?!”

‘…As usual, they’re acting like I’m not even here…’ I thought and then shook my head and decided to ignore them and start to eat my food. I was about to place a piece of the pancake in my mouth when my Mother slapped my hand away, “Really?”

“Don’t eat that!”

“Oh my God!” I growled and then shook my head and placed my hand on my forehead, “Dad!”

“Dear, look at her, she’s skin and bones! Let the girl eat! This is what she ate every time I brought her!”

“Well if I would have known that I would have never allowed it.”

“Mom!”

“Is there a problem here?” Roxie asked as she walked over.

“Oh here, take this garbage back!”

“Garbage?!” Roxie was taken back.

“No, don’t take it back, I’m eating it!”

“Listen here lady; there is nothing in my restaurant that is garbage!” Roxie yelled and I was embarassed.

“Well this is!”

“Mom! Roxie can you box this for me please?”

“Sure thing, sweetie!”

“No, throw it out!”

“Shut up, Mom!” I growled and then tried to hide my face because I was, like usual, embarrassed.

“Randy, take me home!”

“But dear, I just started to eat!”

“Home!”

“Mom, you go home, I’ll drive Dad home!” I growled and looked towards my Dad.

“I’m not driving that truck!”

“Oh dear lord!” I muttered.

Roxie came back and my Dad just asked for the bill. Roxie handed it to him and then motioned for me to look towards the kitchen. I did and saw the cook holding up my box of pancakes. I nodded my head and then looked over towards Roxie and smiled. Dad left money on the table and I left another twenty for Roxie because I felt sorry for her for having to go through this.

We walked outside and I walked over towards my father’s truck and said goodbye to my Mother and Father and watched as they drove off. Once they were gone, I went back into the diner and sat at the bar.

“Oh sugar, I feel so bad for you,” Roxie said as she handed me my box.

“I feel even worse for my Dad, I at least got out,” I said and she nodded her head and decided to sit next to me. I reached over the counter and grabbed a fork and opened the box to eat my pancakes, “Mhmm, just like I remember.”

“Glad you like them,” Roxie laughed and then went behind the counter to pour me a cup of coffee and a glass of chocolate milk.

“Thanks, Roxie.”

“Anything for our little, superstar,” she said and then walked away to deal with her other customers.

“So I hear you like that garbage!”

I looked up to see a boy about my age standing in front of me. I smirked and nodded my head, “I’ve been ordering it, since I can remember.”

“I know, my dad use to make it, and now I make it.”

“Well my compliments to the chef,” I laughed and smiled and held out his hand.

“Name’s Jake, I’m Roxie and Chris’s son.”

“Oh yeah, I remember you! You use to run around here spraying people with whipped cream!” I laughed and his face went red and he rubbed the back of his neck.

“Yeah, my ass got handed to me each time I pulled something like that,” he said and I smirked and took another bite of my pancakes, “So what’s a superstar like you doing in a place like this?”

“I was traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins and I thought that I would come home to see what I’ve missed in the past four years.”

“Not much, sadly. You know this place just as well as I do, it’s boring as shit.”

“That’s why I left,” I said and then took a sip of my coffee, “But it doesn’t hurt to come back and visit sometimes.”

“I hope you don’t mean your witch of a mother,” he growled and I smirked and shook my head.

“Don’t mind her, she just hates the world because God didn’t give her the girly girl daughter like she always wanted,” I explained and he nodded his head and leaned against the counter.

“Jake, leave Alex alone!” Roxie snapped as she walked over here.

“Ma, we’re just talking!”

“It’s all right; he just wanted to make sure I liked his food.”

“Oh sweetie, don’t listen to your mother.”

“I never did,” I laughed and then finished up my pancakes and left the dinner in a better mood than before.