Status: I'm not sure if I should finish this or not so please comment and tell me your opinion

You've Got to Die Laughing

Run-ins and Matchmakers

The next morning, I stop by Starbucks and pick up a double chocolatey chip frappuccino on my way to the hospital. They always spell my name wrong on the cups. "Alis" isn't really the traditional spelling.

Papa's journal sits in the passenger seat and I glance over at it as I take a sip of the yummy goodness that is Starbucks. A chill runs through my spine as I think about the secret study back at the manor. Are their more secret rooms? And what's in the other drawers that I couldn't unlock?

I pull up in the hospital parking lot and park the car. Looks like rain, once again. I grab my hoodie out of the back seat and pull it on over my head before stepping out, journal tucked under my arm and frappuccino in hand. I lock the car and turn towards the hospital when I run straight into someone. The cap pops off my drink and spills all down the front of me. "Ah, come on!" I moan. I set the journal on top of my car and try to wipe myself off.

"I am so sorry," a familiar male voice rings. I look up, and it's the same guy from yesterday, the one who was pushing the old psychic in the wheelchair.

I smile at him. "Don't worry about. With my luck, it was bound to happen with or without your help anyways."

He laughs slightly. "Hey, you're the girl that my grandma had the prediction for. Man, I'm sorry about that too. She's been a little strange for...well forever. I'm Max, by the way. Max Frost." He holds out a hand in greeting.

I take his outstretched hand in mine for a moment. "Alis Summers."

He smiles for another moment, and I notice a tiny little chip in one of his front teeth. It's kind of charming, actually. "Uh, can I get you another one?" he asks, motioning towards my cup.

"No, no. Don't worry about it. Really, it's fine." I take my hoodie off and throw it back in my car, making a mental note to take it out when I get back home and wash it. "See? No big deal." I grab the journal and start heading towards the hospital. "Nice to meet you. I'm sure I'll see you around."

"Wait, Alis?"

"Yes?" I turn slightly to face him, holding the journal against my chest.

"Ugh, I know this will sound strange, but my grandma couldn't stop talking about you. She kept saying, 'That girl is about to discover something...big.' I don't know what it means, but I'm sure she'd kill me if she knew I ran into you again and didn't tell you."

"Thanks, Max. I'll keep that in mind." I start to walk back towards the front doors and I hear Max leaving. Good. That was a bit, to use his words, strange. I walk in and I'm greeted with a rush of cool air. I pass right by the front desk and head towards the stairs. I'm not riding in that death trap they call an elevator again.

"Excuse me, miss?" the receptionist calls. It's the same woman as yesterday. "You're going to have to check in, ma'am."

Ugh. Give me a break. "Alis Summers. I'm here to see Michael Summers. Relation: granddaughter. Am I good to go?" I ask impatiently.

She kind of "humpf"s and nods. "Good." I turn on my heel and head up the stairs. The stairwell is a little dark and dank, but at least it isn't anxiety inducing. Plus, I won't run into much people here. I'm not really a people person. Not anymore, at least.

"Knock, knock," I call when I come to stand outside of Papa's door.

"Ah! Alis! Do come in!" His voice rings. Papa is sitting up today, looking a lot better than he did yesterday. A smiling nurse is checking up on all his vitals. "Charles! Meet my granddaughter, Alis. The one I told you so much about!" I blush and the nurse just laughs it off, turning to me.

"Nice to meet you, Alis. I'm Charlie. I'm the main nurse that will be overseeing your grandfather," he says. He's a tall man, standing maybe at six foot three, with brown, clean-cut hair and crystal blue eyes.

I smile slightly. "Alis, but I suppose you already know that."

He chuckles again before turning back to my grandfather. He opens up a pill bottle and pours a couple into a little plastic cup. "Michael, take these and they'll help dull the pain."

"Ah, but I feel good as new! No pain at all!"

"For now," Charlie kindly reminded Papa. Grudgingly, Papa took the cup and threw it back like a shot, swallowing hard.

"Fine. There, that's done." He grimaces and closes his eyes. "Nasty aftertaste there."

"Yeah, they're not the best. I'll be back in an hour to check up on you again." Charlie turned towards me. "If you need immediate assistance, there's a button on his bed right here," he points, "and one right there over on the wall next to the light switch." He smiles again. "Really. Nice to meet you." And then he walks out the door.

I turn to face grandpa. He has this huge smile plastered across the face like he was a kid who just won a lifetime supply of candy. "What's that look for?" I ask.

He wipes the smile right off. "Nothing, nothing at all. Just, I didn't notice a ring on Nurse Charles' finger."

"Papa, you are NOT playing matchmaker. And it's Charlie." He smiles bigger and I groan. "Ugh, not funny."

"Oh, come on! Enjoy life a little sweetheart! Now come on over here and give me a hug."

I laugh as I do, snuggling into his warm embrace. For the first time in a while, I feel at home. "Ah, looks like you found the journal." I pull away to find Papa staring vacantly at the book.

"Yeah, Papa, about that. Why is there a secret study in the manor and why is there so many secrets?"

Papa picks up the book and settles back down into his bed, opening it up to the first page. "Maybe it will all become clearer if I read you a story."