Sequel: Devour my Heart
Status: There will be a sequel coming out 1st May 2013 --- I had to finish the story here because the competition deadline is today!

Devour my Soul

Truth

The scent of Hayden’s musky cologne lingering on his shirt made me feel slightly queasy as I leaned into his chest. It wasn’t a particular scent that I enjoyed though I never told him as much. It had been Daniella’s favourite, and I wasn’t about to destroy anything that meant the world to my soon-to-be-husband.

I’d come stumbling into the apartment after sprinting back, my face red with exhaustion and my hair in a wild tangle. Arriving home half an hour late would most definitely have worried my fiancé, but as I blurted out an excuse, Hayden simply given me a confused look. Apparently he hadn’t realised how late it had gotten.

The steady rhythm of his heart beat comfortingly in my ears, drumming over the quietened noise of the television. I didn’t dare move, loving this moment of pure relaxation as I lay wrapped in the arms of his slumbering body. We’d barely had any peace since his proposal a few months earlier. Hayden’s mother was constantly ringing with the latest update on the wedding, as if I even gave a shit anymore.

Snuggling deeper into his embrace, I cursed my luck as my phone suddenly vibrated in the pocket of my pajama pants. Silently praying it wasn’t Hayden’s mother again, I plucked the phone out, reluctantly opening the new message.

How can you resist? I look so good on T.V. ;) – Godlike Sexiness

Furrowing my brows, I glanced at the television, tensing instantly as a familiar pair of green eyes looked out at me from the screen with a cocky smirk on his handsome face. It amazed me how arrogant he was to act as though he were a movie star, strutting out of his club, his arm wound tightly around his typical gorgeous girl. I snorted in disbelief as he actually saluted the camera.

Oh snap! I replied, fingers flying over the key pad. I thought that was a pig!

My heart was beating furiously as I waited for his reply. I would never admit that I was excited. I would, however, accuse him of stalking me. How he had not only gotten my number but miraculously entered his own into my phone under the name ‘Godlike Sexiness’, was completely unknown to me, but I couldn’t help the blushing smile tugging at my lips.

Harsh. I call her Alicia. – Godlike Sexiness

Stifling a laugh, I pocketed my phone, a smile still trembling on my lips as the butterflies in my stomach whirled about like a tornado. I hated myself for being so affected by a few mere texted words.

“He’s your soul mate, isn’t he.”

It was a statement, not a question, and I practically jumped a mile high off the couch. Twisting around, I stood awkwardly at the edge of the couch, avoiding the watchful eyes of Hayden’s penetrating gaze. Pushing up, he brushed a hand through his hair, yawning lazily.

“Who is what now?” I asked vaguely, hoping I seemed oblivious.

Hayden leaned forward on the couch, his elbows resting on his knees and his hands clasped together. “Him,” Hayden stated, waving a hand at the television screen. “That Phillips guy from the café. He’s your soul mate.”

Folding my arms over my chest, I shifted uncomfortably, glancing briefly at Evan’s grinning face on the television. Damn those kind eyes. They made it harder to hate him.

“How did you –?” I whispered, before Hayden interrupted.

“You can’t pull the wool over my eyes,” he answered, hinting at anger. “I thought you said he was dead. How can you be so disrespectful?”

Melting to the floor, I shuffled close to Hayden, hoping that he could see the regret clear in my eyes but as I tried to look in his eyes he only turned away. I’d hurt him, I knew that, but I hadn’t lied. I hadn’t told him that my soul mate was dead. Just that I’d lost him.

“I didn’t mean to be disrespectful,” I cried out. “I know my soul mate didn’t pass away, but I never said that he did.”

“Don’t pull that shit with me, Selena,” Hayden snapped. “We’re supposed to be getting married in two weeks. You realise my mother will kill you when she finds out.”

My heart plummeted in my chest, sinking deep into my stomach and swirling about. A choking sob escaped my lips, threatening to be followed by the small meal Hayden had made for my return from my run.

“She doesn’t have to find out,” I pleaded. “I know I’m not anything like Daniella, and I know I can’t replace her for either of you, but I love you Hayden. I want this to work, and telling your mum won’t help anything. Please.”

Reeling back with a confused look, Hayden pushed up from the couch, leaving me kneeling by the side and pacing the living room.

“That’s your soul mate, Ellie,” he groaned in exasperation. “Not dead or lost somewhere in the world. He’s very much alive, and living in the same damn city as you. How can I possibly compete with that?”

With glassy eyes, I pulled a loose thread on my shirt, hiding the fat tears rolling down my face. “I don’t want to be with him,” I choked out, ignoring Antheon’s growl.

Hayden apparently hadn’t missed it either, his head snapping around to me, red staining his face. “Sounds like your soul is thinking otherwise,” he muttered, already drawing up the conclusion.

This was it. My fiancé was going to dump me, all because of that arrogant ass. Pushing to my feet, I shook my head, striding over to Hayden’s pacing form and taking his face in my hands. Glancing at the tears streaming down my face, Hayden’s anger softened, the love he’d built up for me peeking through.

“How can I be with him?” I murmured. “I walked away, Hayden, because he is not the person I want to be with. Have you seen the person he is? Do you know what he has done?”

I knew he hadn’t. Even at the café he had been completely oblivious. Hayden wasn’t in tune with the news, in fact, he worked himself so hard into the ground that all he really did was work and sleep. Luck had been on my side then, because he would never see the googoo eyes I made at the television whenever Evan had made publicity again.

Just as I suspected, Hayden shook his head and I sighed. “He’s a Soul Reaper,” I continued, and Hayden’s eyes widened before narrowing in disgust. “That’s why I don’t want to be with him. He has reaped thirty-eight souls, and you wouldn’t believe the rumours surrounding him.” I paused, waiting for some sort of reaction. “I can’t be with him,” I said when he didn’t answer. “He’s not a good guy and the power of a soul mate would pretty much doom anyone in existence.”

Hayden’s eyes flickered back to the television screen. Evan was gone, but Hayden seemed to expect that the Soul Reaper would appear. After a while he turned back to me, resolve filling his sympathetic eyes.

“Are you sure this is what you want?”

I nodded, silently thanking God for giving me someone so understanding.