Status: Completed

First Day on a Brand New Planet

Chapter 16

16.

Wiping the bar off for the last time tonight, I looked around at all the old souls that surrounded me. They were all alone, comforting themselves in alcohol. I don’t want to end up like that, I thought to myself, but the route my life has taken I could almost bet that it would. Throwing the towel under the bar, I picked up the phone and called my ride to come pick me up. I told my manager, James, that I was leaving and I headed out the back to wait.

____

It’s been 3 weeks since that night Jared bailed us both out of jail. I constantly called him for the first week and a half just tell him thank you, but he never answered. I even went over there but he wasn’t ever at home - or that’s what he made people tell me.

I had completely given up. Everything seemed to be falling apart in my life. Allie made the decision to let the apartment go. She said there was no reason to keep it when she never stayed in town longer than a night and I was scared to stay there because of the break in. Emma said I could move in with her, she needed a roommate anyways, so that’s what I did.

I tried to get as much information about Jared out of Emma that I could but she didn’t say a word. I’m sure he had something to do with that. Emma was an open book about everything except him.

I was laying in bed late one night and I couldn’t fall asleep because he had taken over my thoughts. Regretfully, I called him just to see if he’d answer. Surprisingly someone did, but they didn’t say anything. We both sat on the phone for almost a minute in silence until they hung up. I knew it was him, or I wanted to believe it was.

I have been taking extra shifts at the bar just to preoccupy my mind. It was a place called The Loft and it was home to mainly Los Angeles’ older citizens looking for an escape. I understood how they felt, the bar had been my escape also.

____

Stepping outside in the brisk air I wrapped my thin scarf around my neck. L.A. could really be cold at night. I still wasn’t accustomed to the weather here, Louisiana is smoldering year round. I was in the process of texting Emma when I seen the headlights pulling into the alleyway. Stuffing the phone in my back pocket I quickly ran to the car and got in.

“Hey! How was work?” she asked sounding ecstatic.

“Eh, long. What are you so happy about?” I asked bringing a smile to her face.

“Wanna go for a walk tonight?”

“A walk? Where?” I asked.

“Runyon. Some people are going up there. There’s supposed to be an eclipse tonight and we are all going up there to watch it. Please say you’ll come!” she said looking back and forth from me to the highway in front of us.

“Okay, I guess. I’ll have to change first though.” I replied.

“YAY! Great. We’ll swing by the house and change and then head up there.” Emma said enthusiastically. I just laughed to myself and got lost in the city lights that passed us by.

It only took me a few minutes to change into something more comfortable. I really was hesitant about going, I mean I really could care less about some eclipse. But maybe it’ll give me something to think about other than him. I pulled on a pair of sweats and an over-sized hoodie, pulled my hair up into a messy bun, and we made our way out of the door.

Emma and I had to make our way up the trail alone since we were running late. I could hear everyone chatting in the distance as we made our way up to the top of the trail. The trail we were on brought back memories. Memories of a better time.

As we made our way around the corner, everyone came into view. Everyone from work was there. Jamie was roasting marshmallows. I seen the girls huddled together, like they always were. Shannon was sitting by the fire playing with his dog. Mikey was there also, being antisocial.

When everyone seen we had made it, the girls all swarmed Emma, and Shannon came up and gave me a hug.

“How are you girl?” he asked.

“Could be worse I guess.” I replied sounding more sarcastic than I intended. He laughed to himself and went back and sat down with his dog.

Jamie came up to me and offered me a smore. I declined, but I explained to him it did look tempting. Walking over to the edge of cliff, the memories of that day Jared brought me up here flooded my head.

Everyone suddenly joined me as they looked up at the moon. They were all enamored by the eclipse. I, on the other hand, could’ve cared less about it. I moved to the back of the group, letting them have a better view.

I thought being around other people would make my feelings diminish at least for a little while, but it made it harder. As I watched everyone chatting with one another, smiling, and laughing, I felt the tears building up. I didn’t want anyone seeing me like this, fragile and pathetic.

Turning around I made my way back down the trail alone. Everyone knows it is not safe to walk the trails alone at dark but I didn’t care. There was even part of me that wished someone would abduct me, steal me away from this torture. Why do I feel this strongly about Jared? All I want is to see his handsome face one more time just to tell him thank you, but he ignored me like the plague.

Before I knew it, my thoughts had gotten the better of me and the flood of tears that were waiting to escape fell with no mercy, but I kept walking. I was at the bottom of the trail in no time. I was just going to wait on Emma or at least get a hold of my emotions. No one needed to see me this broken.

Leaning over on top of Emma’s car, the tears that fell had no intentions on stopping. I could hear everyone talking and laughing faintly at the top of the trail so I knew I wouldn’t be accompanied anytime soon. Suddenly, I felt a hand rest on my shoulder breaking me away from my tears startling me.

“Are you okay?” a voice asked. Quickly jumping up I moved away from the man but he followed me. I couldn’t make out his features because Emma parked on the opposite end of the lot away from the overhead parking light. The only light I was given was from the dimly lit moon and that was no help.

“Get away from me!” I screamed at the man but he kept inching closer to me. “Just please go away.” I said pleading with the man but he didn’t listen, he looked down at me and I closed my eyes tightly.

“Taylor?” the voice asked. Opening my eyes, the voice registered with me when he said my name.

“Jared?” I responded.

“What are you doing here?” I asked not believing he was standing in front of me.

“Shannon invited me to this eclipse thing, I was sitting in my truck, contemplating on joining them or not. But… then I seen you.” he said. “I mean… I didn’t know it was you. I just seen a girl and she was upset. I wanted to make sure she was okay. And she turned out to be you.” he said quickly explaining himself.

“Oh. Well it’s quite the gathering up there. I just needed a break I guess.” I said wiping the tears away with the backs of my hands.

“Then why were you crying? Did someone up there upset you?” he asked clenching his jaw.

“No. I just needed to get away, ya know.” I said. He didn’t say anything. Silence filled the air between us, but it wasn’t an awkward silence, it was nice - just to be in his company again.

“Well, it was nice seeing you. I’m sure you need to go make an appearance.” I hesitantly said.

“Umm… I think I’ll skip the social gathering tonight.” I smiled at his words, but remained silent. “I’d like to see the eclipse though, Do you maybe, wanna watch it together?” he asked.

“Well, I rode with Emma, I can’t just desert her. She’d freak out.” I said, wishing I could ride off with him somewhere. I wanted this moment for so long and now here it is and I was making every excuse not to spend any time with him.

“No one said we were going anywhere.” he said. I found myself smiling at his words. “Come on, we’ll go sit in my truck and watch the sky together.” I nodded in agreement and he led the way.