Sequel: Waking Up in Vegas

Northern Downpour

01

Haley James was always a strong-willed, independent woman. She grew up with an older brother, Steven, who was like her protector. Bad days, mean kids, and everything in between, Steven was always there for her. Her mother Matilda and father Brad had always provided a loving home for both Steven and Haley to grow up in.

By all means, Haley had a very normal childhood. She didn't have some major catastrophic event like a parent death. She always seemed to fit in and surround herself with good people in the small Colorado town she grew up in. Her parents always took the family skiing or snowboarding at least a couple of times during the winter and to California once in the summers.

All in all Haley James had a pretty boring, average life.

Haley James grew up, she applied to go to school in New York and had returned home for winter vacation to see her family every winter. She wouldn't miss one of her legendary family ski trips for the world— at least not while she was home. She had grown up cherishing the memories and as she talked with friends at college, she realized that her family was very special. Most of her friends' parents were divorced and the kids had grown up with two homes. Her friends called her lucky.

The thing about New York was that you met people from all walks. In an effort to keep up with her brother, Haley switched from skiing to snowboarding and even joined a group at the college where they went up to Vermont and went snowboarding every other weekend. Haley always had a blast meeting new people at these weekends. Little did she know, she would meet the one who would change her.

Haley had tagged along with Marge. Marge was actually from Vermont and while on one of these excursions took Haley home with her to sort of get away from everyone on the trip— Also, Marge's boyfriend was in town and Haley didn't think Marge should pass up the opportunity. Marge had informed Haley all about her boyfriend Danny. Danny snowboarded (professionally) and he snowboarded with a group of friends, except they always said, "there's no I in "frends"." meaning that they were more of a "all for one and one for all" type.

Haley wasn't sure what to make on the whole ride up, Marge never really mentioned Danny much, for as long as Marge had said they had been together, but, Haley just assumed that was because Marge wasn't the type who needed to profess her love for Danny at every waking moment of the day.

"Mom!" Marge called as she walked in the front door of the modest home. It was.. who was Haley kidding, the house was fucking huge. The girls barged in the door each of them carrying their weekend bags. Marge dropped hers by the door when she saw her boyfriend making a run and practicaly jumping on him.

Haley closed the front door behind her and stood there awkwardly, watching them in the middle of the room. From what she could tell, Marge's boyfriend Danny had a lot of hair. Haley looked around the room and saw some other faces she didn't recognize, must have been Marge's family and some of Danny's friends.

"Hi dear, I'm Marge's mom but you may call me Mrs. Simpson or Kathy." The older woman said as she approached Haley from the kitchen, "Come on dear, I'll show you to the guest room." Kathy beckoned, leading Haley towards a hallway.

Haley gave a shy nod, "Thank you.. erm.. Kathy." Haley was a little hesitant at first as she followed this stranger through the large house, "You have a beautiful home."

Kathy smiled, "Why thank you dear. What's your major?" the older woman asked, making small talk as both women headed down the hall.

"Journalism with a minor in music." Haley replied.

"Really? What's your favorite thing to write?" Kathy asked as they stopped at a door, which she knocked on. "I hope you don't mind dear, Danny brought some of his friends and well, sometimes they crash here even though they have their own homes to go to." Kathy called through the door.

The sound of stumbling and rushing and what sounded like someone stepping on something that was painful, "Fu—" trailed off as the door swung wide and a tall blonde with bright blue eyes stood before the both women, "Sorry Mrs. Simpson." The young man apologized running a hand through his bed-ruffled hair.

Kathy just chuckled and patted the young man's shoulder, "I know dear. We have someone to occupy the other guest bed in the room Kevin." She paused, "Kevin this is.." She trailed off, turning to Haley, "I'm sorry dear, pardon my manners, I never did ask you your name." the older woman frowned a bit.

Haley's cheeks reddened a bit when she too realized Marge's mom lapsed and did not ask her her name. "That's ok. and, it's Haley." She replied, "I go to school with Marge, We're just visiting for the weekend."

The young man, Kevin, smiled, "It's nice to meet you Haley."

Kathy looked between us, "Kevin, there's breakfast in the kitchen if you're hungry. Haley dear, I'll leave you to get settled."

With that, Kathy left leaving Kevin and Haley standing there, neither sure what exactly to do. Finally, Haley sidestepped Kevin and walked in to the room, eager to put her heavy bag down. Haley was caught off-guard by the appearance of someone who could have easily been a model for crying out loud. He had that strong jaw and the hair and the eyes and was tall and gorgeous and way out of Haley's league.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title: Don’t You Know Who I Think I am? - Fall Out Boy

I know it's been a while since I've wrote anything publish worthy. I have some free time now so I've been writing and planning some trips this summer.

Thanks for reading!