‹ Prequel: Summer Love
Status: Active.

Loved You First

chapter one.

Mae’s eyes fluttered open as she heard her phone going off on the night stand that was located next to her bed. She sat up slowly and looked around the room of the summer house she had already been in for 17 days. She missed this room, the beach, and the weather of Daytona Beach over the school year, and she was more than excited to be back.

She reached for her phone on the night stand and saw that she had a text from Doniya. Unable to control her grin, Mae viewed the message.

We just landed at the airport. We’re going to be at our beach house in the next 30-45 minutes! Can’t wait to see you!

Mae replied quickly and tossed her phone on her bed before she left her room and went to the next room over that had been unoccupied all last summer. She pushed the door open slowly and poked her head in to see a motionless lump under the covers.

“Sean,” Mae whispered. “Sean, wake up.”

The dark headed boy that Mae referred to as her boyfriend popped his head up from under the covers and looked over at Mae. His dark brown hair was disheveled and it was obvious that he was fighting to keep his eyes open. He slowly sat up and rubbed at his eyes as he let the blanket fall off of his shoulders to reveal his bare chest that Mae secretly loved.

“What?” he sighed, before he glanced over at the clock that was located on the nightstand. “It’s 8:30, Mae. Are you crazy?”

“My friends will be at their beach house in the next half hour, so we need to get ready so you can meet them,” Mae said excitedly. “I’m going to shower and get ready, and when I’m done I’ll be downstairs waiting for you.”

“Okay, babe,” Sean responded before he swung his legs over the edge of the bed and stretched his arms and back.

Mae shut Sean’s bedroom door before walking back towards her room so she could take a shower. She had met Sean during her first semester at the Ohio State University. They had their English class together and they conveniently had their dorms on the same floor of the same building. They began to hang out together and study for their tests in the student center or one of their dorms, and then finally Sean had asked Mae out on a date.

From the very beginning of their relationship, Sean was the nicest and friendliest guy that Mae had met besides Niall. He knew how to make her laugh, he was never degrading towards her, and he never tried to go past making out with her. He made her feel comfortable just like Niall had, and after Niall ended the relationship with Mae three weeks after summer ended, Mae tried her best to move on and Sean was the guy that helped her do just that.

Mae and Niall talked almost every night after the summer was over, and they would Skype together as much as possible when they weren’t extremely busy with school, friends and family. Mae thought that their relationship was going great, and even though they were thousands of miles away from each other Mae thought that nothing was going wrong.

That was until Niall decided to call it off.

Just like every break up, Niall told Mae that it just wasn’t working out anymore. He mentioned to her that she was on his mind constantly and he felt like it was holding him back from doing everything he wanted to do because all he had been worrying about was her. He explained to Mae that he still loved her and that they would stay in touch and remain best friends, and hopefully they would be able to date again, but after the night Niall broke up with her, they didn’t speak again.

Not speaking to Niall every day was the oddest thing that Mae had to become used to. She had to go all day and force herself to keep him off of her mind, she had no one to Skype with or share her stories with, and she lost one of her best friends. She still remained in touch with Doniya and the rest of the guys, mainly Louis, but it wasn’t the same without talking to Niall. And that was the one thing that Mae was definitely going to talk to Niall about once she saw him.

After her shower, Mae stepped out and wrapped a towel around herself. She entered back into her bedroom and went over to her closet, and she had to force herself not to think about the last day she had with Niall when he was helping her pack. Everything Mae did reminded her of Niall in some way, and she hated it. She couldn’t wear the same outfits as last summer, sit out by the beach, or even eat dinner with her parents without the thought of Niall crossing her mind.

Mae pulled out a salmon colored tank-top and a pair of white shorts, before she slipped them on and put on a pair of white flip flops. She went back into her bathroom where she brushed her teeth and hair and applied her mascara, eyeliner, and a pale color of eye shadow.

When she finished getting ready, Mae walked out of her bedroom and down the stairs to see Sean sitting at the kitchen table with her parents. Sean had no problem being alone with Mae’s parents, and she honestly loved that. He would carry casual conversation with both adults and didn’t make things seem awkward, and Mae’s parents both loved Sean.

Mae took a seat at the kitchen table to join her parents and boyfriend for breakfast. After she put a few strips of bacon on her plate and grabbed a piece of toast she began to eat, her parents and Sean following suit.

“So, have you heard anything from Doniya?” Mae’s mom, LeeAnn asked curiously. “You said something about them arriving in the next day or so.”

“Yeah. She texted me this morning,” Mae informed her parents. “They should actually be here in the next 15 or 20 minutes.”

“You’re going to love all of them, Sean,” LeeAnn commented as she turned towards Sean. “They’re all such nice kids. I think you’ll get along with them great.”

“I’m excited to meet all of them,” Sean said with a smile. Mae knew he was always looking forward to meeting new friends, which was the main reason she brought him with her this summer. After Sean took a sip of his milk he set it down. “I’ve heard a lot about them from Mae.”

Mae’s dad, Tom, nodded his head with a smile. “Who knows, maybe you’ll even hang out with the guys on your own.”

Sean just nodded his head, a smile still on his face. Mae looked over at her parents and smiled at them as a thank you for not mentioning Niall to Sean. Mae had never mentioned that she had a relationship with one of her “friends” over the summer, and she didn’t plan to. Niall ended the relationship with her and she didn’t think they were ever getting back together, and she felt that what Sean didn’t know wouldn’t hurt him. Over the year Mae made herself get over Niall, and even though it was hard, not seeing him for months helped. She had been in a happy, seven month relationship with Sean and she loved it almost as much as her summer relationship with Niall.

She just hoped she still felt that way once she came face-to-face with the man she fell in love with last summer.
♠ ♠ ♠
OMGG I'M SO EXCITED FOR THIS. so i decided to go against waiting until i finished posting my Zayn Story to start posting this because that would take way too damn long. so here it is. :) i will be going out of town this weekend so i won't be posting another chapter for a bit, and i will be waiting for feedback. i got a lot of comments saying i should write a sequel, and i would really appreciate it if i got more feedback than i did on the prequel of this story. the lack of feedback on Summer Love made me not want to write a sequel, but then i started getting comments to write a sequel, so here i am. so please let me know what you think so far.