The Poet Sings

three

The fabric of the jersey was smooth as Brooke ran her delicate fingers over it. It was huge on her though, but Ryan insisted that she wore his jersey. And by his jersey she actually meant the jersey he wears for games. It was their white away one. Brendan was wearing an Oilers shirt that he had gotten when they first moved here.

The car ride was Brendan constantly talking about the game and what he guessed was going to happen. Adding stats about the other team and their players. Brooke would throw out a couple words of agreement here and there, but just let him talk. He always liked to talk, so Brooke was used to having just nod and agree on things he was saying.

When they arrived at the arena, they saw that Ryan gave them row three seats behind the goal. This is the closest they have ever been to the ice at a game. They usually sat way at the top. The brother looked like kid in a toy store; he basically squealed and jumped up and down.



The game was back and forth the entire three periods, but the Oilers came out on top with the final score being 3-2. The whole arena was buzzing after that and everyone was full of energy.

The siblings made their way to the locker room, showing the passes so they could successfully enter the locker room. Guys were getting ready to leave, or doing some interviews when they walked in. Some looked up as the door opened and others just continued to do whatever theh were doing. Brooke saw that the only one she recognized was Jordan who was just finishing up an interview.

"Nice goal." Brooke said softly as she approached him.

"Yeah good job, man." Brendan patted him on the back.

Jordan said his thanks to Brooke then continued to talk to Brendan about the game. He was very intrigued by it as he bent down closer to hear what Jordan was saying. The locker room was loud. Ryan came out of the bathroom in a suit and quickly made his way to his stall to grab his phone, then went over to Brooke.

"I'm glad you could come." He cautiously wrapped an arm around Brooke's shoulder.

She shrugged as if to say it wasn't a problem.

"Hey, Jordan wants me to come over for some of the night to hang, do you mind being alone?" Brendan interrupted before Ryan could say anything.

"Sure, go ahead." Brooke said to him and then she turned to Ryan. "Good game. Me and Brendan were pumped when we saw the seats, plus I haven't been to a game in awhile. Thanks for inviting me."

Ryan smiled at her warmly, "you're welcome, maybe next time I can get you seats right up to the glass." He said cheekily.

Brooke jabbed his in the ribs and rolled her eyes, smiling.

Brendan was eavesdropping on their conversation and piped up, "that would be totally awesome!" Brooke rolled her eyes again. "What, I'm just saying. He offered!"

All the guys that were around them laughed.

Soon Brooke was in her pajamas in her room and watching a movie. The house was scary quiet and the only noise that could be heard was the t.v. going on in the background. Guess this wasn't a good time to pick a horror movie. She was watching 'When a Stranger Calls' which isn't all the scary, but being home alone at night, it can get a little creepy.

Her phone went off, making her jump about a foot in the air. She put her hand over her heart as she reached on the table to see who was calling her. Unknown was flashing on the screen. Brooke thought about not answering it because she assumed it was a salesperson. She let it ring beside her until it finally stopped. Two minutes later it rung again. She rolled her eyes and ignored it. Five minutes later, it had rang again.

"What?!" She practically yelled.

"Where are you?" A voice whispered.

"I'm in my home, what do you want?" She said in a sassy tone.

"I know what you did last summer."

"Brendan. Taylor. Jordan. Ryan. I know it's you, so shut up." She hung up and put her phone by her side as she continued watching the movie.

Another half hour passed and the movie was just about over. Brooke's eyes started to get heavy, but her phone rang, yet again, beside her. She knew it was probably the guys again. The number had the area code back home and she rose her eyebrows. When she picked up the phone, she regretted it.

"Hello, who's this?"

"Brooke?" An all to familiar voice asked.

"Yeah.. who is this?" She asked for a second time.

"It's Matt." Her breath hitched in her throat as she struggled to talk. "I want to um.. talk about things."

"Matt, there's nothing to talk about, and you know it." Her voice became quiet as she got shy and scared.

"I miss you, so so much. You need to move back. It wasn't my fault-"

Brooke snorted at that. "Wasn't your fault? How was that none of that your fault? You control what you do, not me."

"But-"

"Don't say I was the problem, you just liked hitting people for the fun of it."

"You know what? Whatever. Guess where me and my buddies are going for spring break.. up to Edmonton, so see you then, buttercup."

Brooke sat open mouthed and quickly turned off her phone and stuffed in under the pillow. She was now beyond terrified that her abusive ex-boyfriend was going to be in the same town as her again. She also knew he was going to try to find her. Brooke was tempted to run over to the neighbors where Brendan was, but decided against it, since she was already half asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to everyone who has subscribed and commented on the story so far!