Sequel: I'll Be There

Hearts Collide

Basic Training pt 1

"So what do Natasha and Clint want with my dad?" Alex asked as she, Steve, and Tony made their way to the training area.

"I don't know," Steve answered. "They just asked me to get him. Maybe the equipment Tony provided for them is not at their level."

"Have you seen my equipment?" scoffed Tony. "Everything there is is state of the art, and each training room has its own theme so they get different types of training."

"Really?" Alex asked surprised.

"Are you seriously asking that, Alex?" questioned Tony. "You've been here for three weeks."

"And I've spent all my time either in the lab or walking around the city. Besides, when was the last time you used your training room?"

"Touché," Tony said.

"You should train sometimes. It would do you some good," Steve said.

"I don't think so," Alex stated shaking her head. "So what kind of training room is this?" she asked as she looked at a door with a large number '1' painted on it."

"Basic training," Steve answered as he pushed open the door.

"Clint and Natasha are trained spies," Tony pointed out. "Why would they be in—"

"Mr. Stark," Fury's voice interrupted. "I see you've brought Alex with you."

"What are you doing here, Fury?" Tony asked raising an eyebrow.

"I came to get a status report from my two agents," he replied gesturing at Clint and Natasha who were standing on either side of Nick.

"About what?" Alex peeped curiously.

"You," Fury replied. "You've been living with Tony for three weeks and Natasha and Clint have said that during that time you've spent it all either in the lab or walking about the city."

"Some spies they are," Alex scoffed sarcastically. "I said that two minutes ago. And they forgot to mention that I also play Mario Cart." Fury sent a slight glare in her direction.

"So what if Alex spends all her time in the lab? What's the problem with that?" Tony questioned defensively. "I do that. And I'm sure Bruce does it too."

"The problem is that, in the event of an attack, Alex would be helpless. She doesn't have a suit like you and she can't turn into a ten foot tall beast," Natasha interrupted.

"Hey," Alex whined offended.

"Are you saying that you don't think that I can protect my own daughter if someone, by some random chance, were to launch an attack on my own building?!"

"We're saying that Alex should do some basic training so that in the case that something like that were to happen you wouldn't have to worry as much about her," Clint pointed out.

"Listen, Fury, I don't know what kind of game you're playing here, but—"

"Enough!" Alex blurted. "I'll do the damn training," she sighed.

"What?" asked Tony confused. "Alex, don't listen to them. You don't like fighting and they—"

"Have a good point," Alex interrupted. "I know the chances of something like that happening are slim, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Besides, I don't want you to be worrying about me when you're kicking some bad guy's ass," she said causing Tony to grin.

"Alright then," Fury stated. "I'll have Clint and Natasha start you on level one S.H.I.E.L.D training—"

"Not so fast, Fury," Alex began. "First of all, with all due respect, this building says Stark, not S.H.I.E.L.D, so I won't be doing any sort of S.H.I.E.L.D. training. Secondly, I am not training with Natasha. After what happened a few weeks ago, I don't completely trust her. No offense. I'll train with Clint since you're going to give me shit if I don't. And Steve since I trust him and we get along well. And finally, since training wasn't in the contract you made me sign and it takes up time I could be spending working in the lab or playing Mario Cart with my dad, I want something in return," Alex declared.

Fury said nothing to her at first. Instead he stared at her for a few seconds before saying, "And what is it that you want?"

"I'll let you know when I want it, okay?" Alex replied cheekily.

"You know I have bigger things to deal with than you."

"Well if that were the case, then you wouldn't have come over here to try to get me to do this," Alex pointed out. "So do we have a deal?" she asked extending her arm out to him.

Fury looked at Alex's hand for a moment before uttering a 'deal' and shaking her hand. "Agent Romanova, Agent Barton, come with me."

"Actually, Fury," Alex began. "Since I'm down here already I might as well train, so I'm going to need Clint."

"You know you have a lot of guts going around and demanding things."

"Well, at least I'm more cooperative than my dad," Alex pointed out earning her a whiny 'hey' from Tony.

"Very well then," Fury said slightly irritated. ''Barton, stay here with Alex. Make sure she does at least an hour of training."

"Yes, sir," Clint replied as Fury walked out with Natasha. "Alright, Alex, let's start your training."

"Yeah, you're going to have to give me ten minutes to change. I'm not going to work out in skinny jeans and boots," Alex said as she left the training room with Tony.

"So what do you think Fury really wants?" she asked as she and Tony entered the elevator.

"Well, he's either really concerned about you or he wants you for one of his S.H.I.E.L.D ideas," Tony sighed slightly irritated. "Why did you agree to training? You know you didn't have to."

"I know, but it's better if I go along with it this time than have him hold it against me later."

"You better not become one of his agents," Tony warned. "Your mother would kill me."

"I didn't come to New York to become a secret agent," Alex scoffed. "I came here to study engineering and spend time with you," she pointed out.

"That's my girl," Tony said smiling and ruffling Alex's hair.

"So…you and Steve," Tony teased. "First he 'saves' you from my laser, now he's training with you. He certainly knows how to woo a girl."

"Steve and I are just friends," Alex blurted out turning red. "Besides I've only known him for three weeks," she said stepping out of the elevator as the doors opened to the floor that her room was. "I'm not going to go fall head over heels for this guy," she said as she went to put on some gym clothes.

"You never know," Tony teased as he held the elevator door open. "Steve wearing a white shirt, covered in sweat as he beats the crap out of that punching bag of his can really make a girl hot and bothered and if that happens I'm going to have to kick his ass. "

"Very funny, dad," Alex shouted from her room. "But I highly doubt that's going to happen."

Alex stood in the training room frozen from the sight before her: the exact scenario Tony had come up with. She watched as his muscles flexed each time he hit the punching bag, sweat dripping down his neck. He gave it one more blow before it flew across the training room. He let out a long sigh before moving from where he was standing to pick up the punching bag.

"Oh, hi Alex," he said smiling as he realized her presence. "You ready for training?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Image