Falling Six Feet

Muddy Trails and Rainy Hearts

It had been a couple days since Adam’s party. I didn’t know what to do without him since he would be at some stupid fucking bible camp. I missed him, and it reminded me of my absent Aunt Jeni. She would always go out late and party, but at least she was kind enough to leave me money for food and clothes. I mean…ever since my parents died, she’s been a different person. But I wouldn’t go into that depressing state. Not during spring break! I just needed to occupy myself with other things…
Shopping. I needed new clothes, and Aunt Jeni had left me like, 200 bucks for the week. Maybe I should buy some jeans or something.
I hopped into my car, money in my pocket. I decided that I would spoil myself for the day. I thought about Micha, just for a split second. Ouch, that hurt. I felt terrible for him finding out about Kelsey the way he did…But why should I care?? He’s not my friend! “Not my problem either,” I said to myself. I put the key into the ignition and drove to the mall.

The whole week without Adam had sucked ass. Just, horrible. I had no one to talk to since the camp he was at didn’t allow cell phones. Part of some outside influence bullshit they must be brainwashed with. On the plus side, I had gotten some real pants. And a cute new hoodie, which made me look fucking adorable. But I had no other people to talk to. I mean, I had Micha’s number. But Cowboy probably hates me for having that picture of Kelsey. I sat on the couch, staring at the contacts in my phone. “Who to call…who to call?” Suddenly, pounding sounded from the front door. “What in the hell?” I ran to answer it and found Micha standing in the pouring rain, soaked.
“What are you doing here?” I asked. I motioned for him to come inside. I didn’t want the guy to get pneumonia. (Hey, I’m not a total asshole.) Instead, he grabbed my wrist and yanked. “Victor went missing. Come with me; I’ll explain in the truck.” I pulled away. Victor? Missing? Me leave in pajamas? Hold up. “I-I have to change. I’ll be out in a minute.” He ran to his truck, nodding before taking off. I sprinted up the stairs to my room, searching the shopping bags from my spoil-yourself spree. Pulling out a pair of skinny jeans, a My Chemical Romance shirt and my new jacket, I practically fall over myself trying to get changed in a hurry. I throw on a pair of sneakers and run down the stairs, grabbing my key and locking the door behind me.
“Why did you want me to come with you?” I ask as I got into the passenger seat of Micha’s truck. Man, these seats are so clean. Cleaner than my car.
“Because I need a second hand in case something bad happens while looking for him.” Huh?
“Something bad?” I stare at him, wondering what the hell I could possibly do to help this giant cowboy in case he gets hurt. “We’re taking horses through the mountains. You always take a second person that you trust when you go through those trails.” Horses? In the rain? What! Trust?! What is happening?? “Are you sure you trust-”
“Yes.”

We arrive at Micha’s house; well…old-style ranch house. It was quaint, but cute. And surprise, surprise. There were stables off to the side, towards the trails that lots of people around here liked to camp on. “You’re going to have to saddle your own horse so we save time,” ordered Micha. Jeez, did he think I was incompetent in the horse department?
We run to the stables and grab what we need. There were three quarter horses; two mares and a gelding. “You can ride the mare over on the left; saddles are in the tack room,” Micha yelled to me. I hurry to grab a saddle, a saddle blanket, a martingale, a bridle, and a noseband. I could tell from the look on his face that he thought I would only grab the saddle. Typical of a guy… I go over to the gelding on the right. “What is he talking about? This one is a boy…” I whispered to myself. I got everything onto the horse and situated, but I needed a stool to get on. He noticed I needed help and walked over. “Do you need a leg-up? Here,” he grunted. He practically threw me over the horse, the idiot. Micha walked to his own horse and climbed up, no effort. “Damn you tall people,” I muttered. We finally started to lope out of the stables when Micha yelled out, “WAIT! You’re on the wrong horse! Shit, that one’s not broken in!” I couldn’t hear him over the rain. He seemed to pick up his pace on the mare, so I did as well. We galloped up the trail for half a mile when we reached a tree across the path. Micha and his horse jumped it with ease, but mine came to a dead halt in front of the tree. I flew forward off the saddle and over the gelding’s neck. Before I knew it, I was covered in mud and had the wind knocked out of me. I could see the horse rear up and run back down the path. I couldn’t breath; I felt like I was going to die.
All of a sudden, I felt hands go around my waist and my lungs seemed to open up. “Oh my god, are you alright?” Micha shouted over the rain. I couldn’t speak; I just nodded and hung on to him. “Hang on, okay?” He lifted me onto the saddle and jumped on behind me. I could feel his arms go around me and his head beside mine. “It’s going to be a while before we get to the cabin. I just hope Victor’s alright.” Victor didn’t just fall six feet off of a huge quarter horse, now did he?!

An hour later we finally reached a cabin and the rain was pouring down worse than before. Micha jumped off the horse and helped me to the ground. There was a light on in the cabin; maybe it really was Victor. We still had quite a way to walk, and it didn’t help that I couldn’t see for shit. I started shivering when I felt something heavy on my shoulders. I looked up to see Micha put his jacket on me. “N-no. I don’t want-” I tried to tell him to take it back when he interrupted me.
“I don’t care; you’re shivering.” Well then.
We made our way up the dark path, and I kept slipping on muddy spots. I fell on a rock when Micha picked me up and threw me onto his back. “What t-the hell are you doing?! P-put me down!” I pounded on his back, trying to get him to let me go. “We need to get to the cabin as soon as possible, and to be honest Paige, you’re slowing us down. So let me do this!” Micah’s body was warm, but the fact that he had to carry me was just irritating. I got mud all over his clothes and his jacket.
We made it to the cabin door when Micah finally put me down. He knocked on the cabin door, staring at me with a hopeful look. Woah. I never noticed that his eyes were so blue…
“What are you guys doing here?” Victor had opened the door.

“Why are you out here all by yourself?” Micah asked Victor. We had gone inside, and I sitting by the fireplace with three blankets wrapped around my body and a towel on my hair. Micah had changed into Victor’s pajamas and also had a towel wrapped around his head. “I-I needed to think. After Adam’s party and what happened with m-me and Kelsey…I had to get away.” Victor was sitting opposite of me and Micah, fidgeting with his hands. Maybe he was trying to find the courage to tell Micah what I already knew. After all, they were best friends. “Victor? Is this about Adam?” I asked gently. Micah looked at me with confusion, and started to ask what I meant when Victor interrupted. “Y-yes. I…” He sighed and looked at Micah with pleading eyes. “Please understand…I didn’t ever think about it. But when Kelsey tried to literally get in my pants, I realized…that I’m…gay.” Micah’s eyes got as big as softballs. “W-what?” I got up and walked over to Victor and wrapped my arms around him. “Thank fucking goodness. I never thought you would admit it.” I smirked at him jokingly. I turned to see Micah go pale. “That’s…not why we’re, well, friends…right?” Victor rolled his eyes. “You’re not my type, Micah. We’re just good friends. My feelings are for Adam.” He blushed and smiled. God, he was adorable. Micah walked over and hugged him, and I knew everything with them would be fine. But I felt like something was still wrong, and I knew it was about Adam. Right then, the door was shaking from someone pounding on it. I ran to answer it.

“Adam?!”
♠ ♠ ♠
CHARACTERS
Paige: http://tinypic.com/r/25gfh1f/6
Micha: http://tinypic.com/r/15pfora/6
Adam: http://tinypic.com/r/t5magm/6
Victor: http://tinypic.com/r/ruaesl/6
Kelsey: http://tinypic.com/r/2safrjs/6