Status: Complete

Beautiful Tragedy

Vivid Memory

Not a day goes by where I don’t think of that day and not a day goes by where I don’t miss you. I remember it all so vividly. Like a dream that you have each night. Only this is reality. As I sit here now, alone, I replay the dream once more.

~Flashback~

It wasn’t the normal day for Zacky and I, today was the day where I was finally going to make the move and propose to my lover and best friend. We haven’t been an item for that long, but when I’m with him it feels so right, like we were made for each other. I walked as if I was walking across clouds, dreamily towards my loves house. Despite the fact that I was 25 years old with a driver’s license, I wanted to enjoy the air of California on this beautiful August night. I picked Zack up at 8:00 sharp; for I knew our dinner reservations were made for 8:30. He looked incredible, dark locks slicked back with not a hair out of place, button down black shirt, purple bow-tie, black jeans that fit right in all the right places, and a smile that could light up the entire world. He took my breath away, like the day I fell in love with him. That moment was when I fell in love with him for the second time. We walked to the restaurant, which was right on the beach creating such a romantic setting that seemed to be pulled right out of a movie.

We sat outside on the porch, music playing softly in the background. A candle was lit in the middle of the table, making the vibe ten times more romantic. Waves crashed on the shore, which calmed my nerves for the time we were eating. However the relaxation did not last the entire night. We talked about many things over this dinner but one thing my Zacky said to me stuck out the most and I remember it like the words left his lips yesterday; not three years ago. He said “Brian, this is perfect and this moment now I know how I want to spend my life. If one of us dies tomorrow I feel like the other would know that the other is watching over us and still loves us.” Those words haunt me to no end.

Dinner ended with much more…positive conversations. We laughed and joked about times past. I remember the vivid feeling that the closer the end of dinner came the more the nerves came back. As we walked out I could feel my body shake and sweat dribble down my forehead as I knew what I had to do. I knew this was how I wanted to spend my life and he did too but it was just how I was going to say it and if he would accept the proposal this early in the relationship. We headed towards the park, the place where we confessed our feelings towards each other and kissed. We kissed right on the swings. Zacky sat down on one swing and started to gently move back and forth. This was it. I kneeled down to one knee and reached inside my pocket. At this point I almost lost my dinner. He looked at me, beautiful smile on his lips but also a look of confusion. I remember the words I said to you like lyrics of my favorite song, “Zack, we've been best friends for years and I know we haven’t been together for long but it feels like forever. I want to spend my life with you, baby. Will you marry me?” Tears welled up in his sea-green eyes and he leaped into my arms, saying yes about twenty times over. I slipped the ring on his finger, the gem dazzling in the moonlight just like his eyes. I took Zack’s hand and we walked toward his home. I remember this part as the worst moment in entire life.

We were both love struck, him happy that I had popped the question and me happy that he had said yes that none of us realized what fate had for us until it had happened. We had crossed the street blank mindedly, fingers entwined. None of us realized the truck heading full speed towards us until I saw the headlights. Everything was in slow-motion, even in memory. I remember the crash, the scream and the push. Everything else was a blur to me.

~End Flashback~

I sit here now, twirling the dark purple rose, smiling sadly at the memory. My wings flapped slowly behind me as I looked at you. The words you spoke in the restaurant were not true. Here you are, a complete mess, forgetting that I’m here, still loving you and still watching you after three long years. But I wouldn't change anything about that night. Pushing you was the best thing I did because if you got hit I would have never forgiven myself. Though I wish I could've grown old with you, I will watch you age until the day you join me up here and we will live happily ever after in our little piece of heaven.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading, I hope you all enjoyed it c: