To Philly With Care

The Engagement

I pulled into our parking spot after 8 hours on the road and sighed. Jass was asleep in the passenger seat, I hated to wake her but I needed too. “Sweetheart, we’re home.” I said as I patted her cheek.

She opened her eyes and smiled. “I don’t want to cook tonight, let’s go out.” I chuckled and shook my head.

“It’s already taken care of. Come on, I can get the bags if you can get yourself.” We got out of the car and made our way in.

When we got to the door, she was waiting. “Welcome home you two.” Jass gasped and Moni grinned. “Come on mama, we’ve got plans.” She sat Jass in her chair and grinned broadly. “Max and I met at Tante’s a few weeks ago.” Moni served dinner effortlessly. “Oh Max, Tante had your outfit cleaned. I have everything so you can make sure it fits after dinner.”

Jass eyed us. “Try _what_ on later?” She knew something was up.

“His outfit for the Labor Day Dance.” Moni said plainly.

“We aren’t going.” Jass whined. I patted her hand on the table. She wanted to go but she didn’t want to embarrass her family.

“What if I made you a spectacular dress? Mint green with maybe a navy accent? I made Tante’s dress and she looks fabulous!” I saw hope spring in her eyes and knew we had her.

Leaning over I spoke. “Gran wants you there. You want to go, don’t let them stop you. You can introduce Holly to everyone too. Think of it as your send off, changing the hands on the reigns. Wouldn’t your supporters like to know why?” Her lip wavered. “We can go and not dance.”

Jassmine looked at Monique. “You made him something?” Moni shook her head. “Then how?”

Moni answered. “Tante is letting Max borrow some of Oncle’s clothes from the right time frame. By getting them out of the house now, she makes sure Max has them and your dad or brothers can’t use them.”

Jass thought about that for a second and then asked. “You’re willing to make me a dress that looks good with what he’s wearing?” Moni nodded quickly. There was a choked off sob and Jass smiled. “I love you guys.”

After dinner I cleaned up while the girls started looking at patterns to adapt. I heard a squeal and guessed that they found something. Heading upstairs I found them in the den. “Having fun?” I asked after I knocked on the frame.

Jass looked up and smiled. “You guys are amazing. Moni was telling me about what you’ll be wearing. She said Gran was really happy with how you look.” I shrugged and kept my outfit to myself.

After a flurry of activity over the next day and a half we were in Gran’s house getting ready to go to the Dance. I was waiting at the bottom of the grand staircase for both ladies. I heard them coming down the hall and straightened up. The footsteps stopped before I could see them. Then Gran was at the top of the stairs. I smiled up at her as she came down. She looked great. “You look great Gran.”

She smiled at me and extended her hand on the last step. “Thank you my dear boy. We just put the finishing touches on our hair before coming down. It’s been a long time since I’ve done my hair like this, but I still remembered easily.” I had to chuckle. She really did look great in the blue lace dress Moni had made for her.

Jass was now at the top of the stairs. The dress Moni made floated around her. She was glowing for sure. I had no words to explain how incredible she looked to me. Apparently it showed though as she flushed. I found my voice when she hit the bottom of the stairs. “How did I get to be the lucky guy to escort the two most beautiful women at the Dance?”

We were whisked off by Gran’s limo to the dance. As far as we knew only 5 people knew Jass and I were going to be there. Jass hadn’t even told Dani. We were fashionably late on purpose. Tonight was Holly’s premiere, we were icing on the cake. We were about to go in when someone spotted us. “Jass? Gran?” Jass’ head whipped around and then I felt her relax against me. “We were all under the impression you weren’t going to come tonight.”

Gran took the lead. “Christopher, why would we not be here tonight? Tonight is the Foundation’s Dinner. Did you really think I would let the rest of them keep Jassmine away tonight?” She leaned into his ear. “Do not tell them she is here. I know you do not share their dislike of her and tonight is a more important night than anyone knows.” Chris smiled as she leaned back and again took my arm.

We continued in and blended better than I thought we would. We found Holly at her seat trying not to hyperventilate. She visibly relaxed when she saw us. “Oh thank god. I was worried when you guys weren’t here early.” Moni had made her dress too so we looked like we stepped out of the early 1950s. She hugged Jass. “You two look incredible, matching and yet completely unique.”

Soon enough we were wandering through the guests having some fun just us. A few stopped us to ask why she wasn’t freaking out about every detail but she said that would all be explained in time as we moved on. Then we hit someone we couldn’t duck, Jass’ sister Angela.

“You can’t even do what you’ve been told can you? We told you not to come out for things like this, not to embarrass the family and you couldn’t even stay away once.” Her tone angered me, but Jass was able to turn it around and keep calm about it.

“Angela, _you_ told me not to show up for family events. However _Gran_ made sure that I knew I was expected to be here and welcome as well. This is my last Foundation event for the foreseeable future, you can at least give me that much.” The unspoken, you own me that much was loud and clear to my ears.

Angela looked me up and down I’m sure judging me and what I was wearing. “So who is this… person?” It was clear that she had no opinion of me that was repeatable in present company.

Eyeing Jass for a second, I saw her nod so I introduced myself. “Bonjour madame, mon nom est Maxime Talbot. Je joue pour les Flyers et j'ai été datant Jassmine plus d'un an. (Hello madam, my name is Maxime Talbot. I play for the Flyers and I have been dating Jassmine for over a year.)” I watched as Angela blinked, I don’t think she expected me to revert to my native tongue.

After a run in with Jass’ dad I was more than ready for a break, besides the speeches were to start soon. Right before we got back to the head table we were stopped by 3 kids who looked similar. “Auntie Jass!” They all cried out joyously. I don’t think I had seen Jass so happy as when she hugged those kids. “We miss you Auntie Jass.”

Jass giggled. “I’ve missed you guys too Nick. Fortunately we’re staying here now so we’ll be able to get seem serious time together, after homework is done of course.” The kids all groaned. “There’s someone I _really_ want you guys to like.” She turned to beam at me. “Max, these are my nephews and niece. Kevin, Nick and Ella. Gang, I hope someday he’ll be your Uncle Max.”

Ella beamed, just like Jass did, at me. “Do you love our Auntie?” I chuckled and smile at her which made her smile get brighter as she hugged me. “Good cause we love her lots. Momma and Daddy don’t like her but she’s the best ever!”

I knelt down to her level. “Can I tell you a secret?” She nodded furiously. “I think she’s the best ever too and I think someday being your Uncle Max would be great because it would give me 2 nieces and 3 nephews to love.“ They had no clue that I would becoming more than just a possible Uncle in a little while. We said good bye to the kids as we were asked to en masse take our seats.

Soon the speeches started. Gran had told me that I could do what I’d planned whenever I wanted so I was waiting. Finally the buffet was open and most of the serious speeches were done, it was nearly time. As people drifted back to their places with food and drink, I put my hand in my pocket and felt the ring. I hadn’t expected to feel so nervous, I’d given all sorts of speeches before. This one would be life altering though.

As I looked out I managed to spot everyone who had harassed, harangued, and tried to hurt us. There was about to be many pissed off friends and family members. I also caught glimpses of a few friends who had supported us. It was time. I picked up my glass and tapped it. Without fail the room fell silent. “Madam and Monsieur please pardon my intrusion. Most of you know who I am and my reputation. Tonight, however, I am going to shatter the illusions you have of who I am. I play for the Flyers.” The room broke out into applause. “I _used_ to play for the cross state rival Penguins.” Applause quickly tuned to boos which never ceased to amaze me. “Over a year ago I met someone who intrigues me in more than just a notch on the bedpost way. I was lucky enough to have this lady start to date me. Needless to say we fell in love.” I heard a few whip sounds in the crowd, but overall they seemed to love what I was saying. “As you all heard she is stepping down as the Head of the Foundation and Bastion, I’m here to provide the real reason.”

I took Jass’ hand, noting the confused look on her face, moved us out from behind the table and knelt at her feet. “Jassmine, you have stolen my heart much like I would steal the puck even from my best of friends.” The room behind us was silent as I pulled the ring from my pocket. “Would you complete the set and steal my name as well?” Jass’ confusion hadn’t let up yet, so I tried a more direct approach. “Beloved, will you marry me?” I swallowed and held out the ring on my palm.

Jass’ eyes went from my fact to the ring and over to Gran, who was calmly smiling, before she answered me. “No one else on Earth would make me happy.” She picked the ring out of my hand and gasped as she got a good look at it. She teared up and trembled a bit. To help I took the ring from her and placed it on her hand. Pulling her close I heard her whisper before we kissed. “Mon Maxime.”

Gran got up, I know because I felt her hand on my shoulder. She leaned in and asked. “Now can I brag about the babies?” We broke apart smiling, Jass nodded and Gran took the mic. “Ladies and Gentlemen there is another happy reason most everyone was unaware of until recently. It seems that I’m becoming a Great-Grandmother again.” There were some whistles that joined the crowd applauding this time. “Much to the family’s joy, Jassmine and Maxime will be adding two new members in the coming months.” I saw Jass pale, we’d told my family about the twins but only Moni and Gran knew from hers. The cat was out of the bag now.

We were soon surrounded by well wishers, most of whom I didn’t know. Then there was a familiar couple. Claude hugged me while Ryanne got Jass. “You dog.” He teased as we parted.

Jass was grinning at the girls parted. “The doc says Early January, I’ll be happy as long as they are healthy.”

Claude hugged her then. “So happy for you two. You’re gonna be great parents.” He turned to me. “You gotta tell the team tomorrow.”

I chuckled. “Well I had kind of planned on telling the guys, but first I had to make sure we were completely solid.” Jass tucked herself under my arm and laid her head on my shoulder. “I couldn’t let Hartsy try and steal her away.”

After we extracted ourselves from everyone and had a good meal, we were now at the tail end of the evening. This gave Gran a chance to lean over and drop a bomb. “Do not be surprised if we are all named in a lawsuit tomorrow morning. I see the wagons circling.” She nodded towards most of the rest of the family who were in angry conference not too far away.

Jass was confused. “Why would we be hit with a lawsuit?” Gran quickly and quietly explained The Clause to her which caused her to gasp. “But why me Gran?”

Gran kissed Jass’ temple. “Because out of all of your siblings you were the only one to take to heart what we said about charity beginning at home. Your brother and sister pay lip service to it but you, you took to it like a duck to water. It was something Gramp and I decided when you were little and we saw how much you did for others without asking for anything in return. You _still_ do it. Your friend Holly needed a job and you needed to let go of some stress so you gave her your job without a thought.”

Jass tried to argue with both of us all the way home about how she hadn’t given Holly the job for that reason. She finally stopped when I pointed out to her that she had done exactly that _and_ that Holly already loved the job. Jass grumbled a bit about not meaning to be so good. She couldn’t help it though, it was her nature.

The next morning I took Jass with me to our pre-season skates. I did this so the guys would find out from us about our engagement, the babies and to keep anyone from delivering court papers unless we were both there. The guys were all thrilled of course. I sent out a mass text to the guys I thought needed to know. While we skated and did some drills, Jass fielded texts and calls from other friends far away.

At lunch the girls who had joined the few guys we had all began asking questions about the wedding. I noticed it starting to stress Jass out a little bit. I turned the conversation back to the little ones which helped Jass relax. It planted an idea I wanted to bounce off of her later that night.

“Babe?” She looked up from the pregnancy book she was reading. “I had a thought that I want to bounce off of you.” She put the book mark in and paid me full attention. “I know we just got engaged and the kids aren’t here yet, but what if we combine their baptism and our wedding?”

She moved a bit closer. “Do you think we can find somewhere that would do that? I gotta be honest I don’t want to wait a year or more to be your wife Max. Do you think we can find a place that might let us combine them?” She sounded kind of excited for this idea. “I know it’s horrible manners but what do you think of maybe doing this over the Olympic break? Having only the people we think of as family there and then having a bigger party in the summer for everyone else?”

I sat in front of her and thought about it. “We could ask the parish I grew up in. The rest of the family still goes there so they might go for it.” I pulled up my tablet and looked up the parish. “Yeah I’ll call in the morning. We’ll probably have to do marriage prep here but as long as we do it at a Catholic Church it shouldn’t be a problem.”

Of course I forgot to call my first church so when I came home the next afternoon I found Jass on the phone with them. “You can? That’s wonderful. Ok, so I’ll talk to the priest here and get what you need sent to you. I’m still kind of blown away that you have that day completely free. Not to mention that you’re willing to do our wedding and our children’s baptism as well. No, thank _you_. This makes everything easier for us. I’m just glad you know who he is and are willing to work with us around his schedule. We live in Brossard during the summers but the entire family still goes there. Yes, _that_ Talbot family. As I said earlier we’re due in Early January but could go a week or two early due to having twins. Oh yes, his mother is _very_ excited. Ok, I’ll get that information to you as soon as I can. Merci.”

She leaned back against her new favorite pillow and sighed. I sat next to her and began rubbing her feet. “I forgot to call, I’m sorry love.”

Jass moaned softly, her ankles must be bothering her. “I’ll forgive you. I found the church who, once I get my records to them, is more than willing to perform both our wedding and the baptism of the kids. I’ve scheduled them both for Valentine’s Day.” I switched ankles and she melted a bit more. “I know it will limit what friends and family will be able to join us for this and I’m okay with it. I’ve also found out, when I called your mother today to let _her_ know the good news, that Sofia, Will’s wife, is an event planner and just happened to be at your folks place. She’s willing to help us get this done. She and I talked and while it might upset your cousins she’s fine with limiting our activities to just direct family. Doing the math that gives us about 30 people.”

I lifted her hand to my lips, she’d done this in hours. “You are amazing. Whatever I need to do to help, count me in.” She set a list in front of me, on it were decisions we were going to have to make before Training Camp started. I read it and noted that what she wanted my opinions on were things she wasn’t sure I’d like. I’d seen her “dream wedding” board on her Pinterest account, on accident though. “Well, shall we knock out what we can before dinner?” She beamed at me and pulled her computer between us. This would be intense but _so worth it.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry this took so long after my last chp from KIK was posted. On the upside the next should come fast.

Yes, The Clause is finally in effect and there WILL be consequences (and I have a plan to deal with them already).

Yes, by canon law you CAN have both a wedding and a baptism in the same family on the same day, but ONLY with the priest's agreement.

Please let me know what you think. I really do love hearing what my readers think.