Status: WE WERE ON A BREAK

Perfect Symmetry

Strangeland

I may have been a bit premature with my “mission accomplished” bit. I mean sure, the negotiating and recruitment stage was done, but the actual ad had to be created, which meant photographers from multiple cities in Chicago as soon as possible. I called in the best, from New York and Seattle, from Philly and even one from LA. He was a Kings fan, and I jokingly told him we could never be friends. He laughed, not knowing how serious I was.

January melted into February, and I watched the layer of snow on the ground actually increase instead of fade off. Spring was nowhere in sight, and I really began to miss California. The photos of all the hockey players were due to be finished on February fifteenth, but I went into the studio on the twelfth to make sure everything was running smoothly.

The studio was filled with noises; snapping of cameras, squeaking of props and furniture being moved around, laughter, and orders from the photographers. I sipped my coffee and made my way to the second staging area, where I knew my photographers would be.

“Hey, Jim, how’s it going?” I asked cheerily, patting him on the back.

He pulled his eyes away from the viewfinder of his fancy camera to give me a rather crooked smile.

“Jazz, you know better than to interrupt the professionals,” he remarked candidly, adjusting something with his camera before turning back to his subjects, who happened to be Chara and Lucic.

“I just wanted to make sure things were running smoothly,” I explained, taking another sip of my now lukewarm cappuccino.

Jim gave me another look, frowning at the pictures he had just taken.

“You’re distracting me. Go talk to Mike; he’s great at working while he’s distracted,” he suggested patronizingly.

I frowned. “Ugh, the Kings fan? Fat chance!”

“I heard that, Jazz!” Mike’s booming laugh could be heard from the other side of the studio.

I waved at Zdeno and Milan before making my way over to Mike, who was taking shots of Joe Thornton. I tried not to look like some crazed fan, but I knew I probably did.

“You’ve got good ears, then,” I gave Mike a sheepish smile as I finally just tossed the coffee cup. It was a lost cause.

Mike grinned at me as he glanced at the most recent shots he had just taken.

“You weren’t exactly whispering,” he replied with a chortle.

I narrowed my eyes and turned to Joe apologetically.

“Joe, I am so sorry. Had I known that Mike was an LA fan, I would have assigned you to Jim instead,” I gave him a false apology, knowing that no one really cared who supported whom.

Joe laughed good-heartedly. “I’m sure he’ll make me look really fat in the photos too.”

Mike chuckled. “I didn’t think of that. Oh the wonders of Photoshop. Okay, Joe, I think you’re done. We’ve got the money-maker here, I think.”

Joe smiled in relief and walked out of the staged area, away from the studio lights that were probably glaring in his eyes.

“Great. Oh! Jazz, here are a couple of jerseys for you,” he passed me a large paper bag.

My eyes lit up. “Oh my God, this is fantastic! My parents are seriously going to flip their shit – uhh I mean, thank you so much Joe. These are great.” I cleared my throat, trying to recover from my break down.

He seemed amused, and I gave him a hug of gratitude, which meant me hugging his chest, since even in my heels I was significantly shorter than him.

“It’s no trouble at all. My flight home is in a couple of hours, so I should go, but if you’re ever in San Jose for a home game, give me a call. I’d love to have you at a game,” he said graciously, “this is a great cause, and I’m so happy to be a part of it.”

“Don’t say anything until the ads come out,” I joked nervously.

Joe smiled. “I know they’ll be great. You’ve put so much work into all of this. Anyway, my number’s on a card in the back, so seriously don’t hesitate to call.”

I was speechless at this point, just gawping at him like some kind of idiot.

“Wow, okay thanks,” I managed to choke out as he waved and headed out of the photography studio.

I opened the bag and found three autographed Thornton jerseys inside. On one of them it read to my biggest Sharks fan in Chicago, love Joe.

Wow I think my life is complete.
~
The Blackhawks were having a pretty good February charge, after a decent January. There was a chance they could win the division this year, and that totally pumped them up. The final pictures were being taken today, on the fifteenth. I was behind schedule, since Sidney Crosby couldn’t get away on the date we had arranged. He had some charity thing, and said he would come a week later instead. I was a little peeved, but since it was for the Penguins’ children’s charity, I decided to cut him a break.

I made my way to the studio again at around eleven, hoping that everything would be ready and I could get my ads done in the next couple of days. There were more photographers here today, since we were covering Crosby, Toews, and Kane all at once. It was like a field day for the press, too, since we were using the faces of the NHL. None of the press knew what the ads were for yet, since the words would be added after the pictures were done.

“Jazz!” Pat called out from the corner of his mouth as he posed for the camera with a very serious face on.

I grinned. “Hey! How’s it going?”

“Just fine. We’re supposed to look serious and determined. It’s easier for Johnny since that’s how he looks all the time, but for people like me who have, you know, emotions, it gets kinda hard,” Pat explained with a cheeky look at Jon.

Jon narrowed his eyes and shoved Pat roughly, and Jim the photographer made an annoyed sound in his throat. Pat looked at me with a sheepish look and I rolled my eyes.

“Reset again, boys,” Jim instructed, “we could have been done by now if you two had just stopped messing around.”

“Sorry,” Pat mumbled, grasping his hockey stick and putting on a serious face for the camera.

Jon was looking at me, unblinkingly, and I was feeling very uncomfortable. I offered up a smile, but his stony gaze just continued to pierce me.

“Jonathan, it helps if you’re looking at the camera,” Jim boomed impatiently.

Jon’s dark orbs snapped back up to the lens and he shook his head apologetically and said sorry before resuming his stony gaze. Thankfully, that was exactly the pose that would work for the ad.

I made my way over to Mike, who had the easy job of working with Crosby. The guy was a natural by now; he had probably been photographed tens of thousands of times. Sid was laughing as Mike showed him some of the recent shots.

“You look good, kid, what are you talking about?” Mike frowned, rubbing his balding head in confusion.

“I look constipated in that one,” Sid pointed out with a smile.

“Ooh, a constipated Sidney Crosby? Let’s have a look,” I teased, glancing at the monitor.

“See? I look so uncomfortable,” Sid explained with a shake of his head. “Don’t use that one, please.”

I gave him a candid smile. “Okay, fine. But you look good in 99% of these, so I think we’ll find something we can use.”

“So we’re done?” Sid looked at Mike for confirmation.

Mike nodded kindly. “Yup. Finished. It was great meeting you, by the way.”

Sidney produced a press-friendly smile and offered Mike a handshake before signing a puck for him and following me back to check on Jim and the boys.

“You’re always ready for a press storm, aren’t you? How many pucks have you got on you?” I asked him curiously.

Sidney shrugged. “You can’t be someone high profile like me and not be ready for the shit storm that comes with it. It’s not as weird now...it’s just my life, you know?”

I thought that sounded very wise. “You’ve been around the block a few times by now, haven’t you?”

“I really have,” he gave me a tired smile. “But it’s so worth it. Playing hockey for money? It’s my dream.”

I nodded. “Let’s change the subject. It feels like I’m watching one of those NHL documentaries on you.”

Sid laughed at that. “And they’ve made one too many. Okay, changing the subject, are you hungry?”

I was going to beg off, since I had plenty of work to do, but my growling stomach chose this precise moment to speak up, producing a large rumble that people in China probably heard. I blushed immensely.

“I’ll take that as a yes,” Sidney grinned. “C’mon, I’m starved too, and my flight isn’t for about four hours. I’ve got some time to kill and I’ve never really seen much of Chicago apart from the Madhouse.”

“I would love to, Sid, I really would,” I bit my lip, “but I should probably start working on the ads; I’m already behind schedule.”

Jim emerged from around the corner. “Oh you won’t be getting the pictures until this evening at the earliest, Jazz. Mike and I have to start cropping and editing.”

I grimaced. “Please try and get them to the office by tomorrow by noon?”

“I’ll have them ready for you in the morning, okay?” Jim gave me a smile before hurrying off. “Oh, and go and pick up your Blackhawks, they finally produced a couple usable shots,” he called out.

“Will do!” I shouted, walking over to the set, Sid on my heels.

“So does this mean we can have lunch?” he asked adorably, his eyes bright.

I sighed. “Fine. But I can’t promise that I’ll let you pay.”

“I guess I’ll have to deal with that,” he replied quickly.

“Jazz, you want to go grab some food?” Jon asked, pulling on his coat and scarf.

I reddened. “Wow, I feel popular today. Sid just asked me the same thing.”

“Oh, and you’re going?” Jon sounded irritated.

“Well...yeah,” I responded like it was obvious.

Sidney patted my back. “I’m going to grab my jacket. I’ll meet you outside.”

I nodded with a smile, and then turned my attention to Jon and Pat as Sidney wandered off. Jon looked peeved, and Pat looked gleeful.

“If you want to come to lunch with us, I’m sure Sid won’t mind,” I offered kindly.

Sid? When did you start giving him pet names?” Jon demanded.

“I call you Jon and I call Kaner Pat. What’s the big deal?” I laughed. “Look, I’m inviting you to come with us, if you want to.”

Jon glanced at his watch. “Never mind, I have to meet Danielle anyway.

I frowned. “If you knew you had to go meet her, why did you make such a big fuss?”

“I forgot, okay? See you later, Jazz.” Jon turned on his heel and stalked out.

“Jazz, huh? When did you start giving me pet names?” I shouted sarcastically to his turned back.

He didn’t respond, and marched out of the building. I walked out with Pat, seething. “What is that jerk’s problem?” I snapped.

“Come on, Jazz. You’re not that stupid. He’s jealous,” Pat rolled his eyes.

I sighed. “Sid knows I have a boyfriend. I’m just going out to lunch with him, as a friend. And why should Jon care?”

Pat ignored my question. “You’re not as mysterious as you think, you know. I can tell you’re jealous of Danielle.”

I paled. “What?”

“I can tell you hate her,” Pat continued.

“She creeps me out,” I clarified, “something’s off about her. She’s fishy.”

Pat laughed. “Whatever, Jazz. I’ll see you at the next game?”

I nodded. “Plus the ads will be unveiled to the NHL soon, so they’ll be some sort of party. You’ll make it, right?”

Pat gave me a gorgeous smile. “I’ll clear my schedule.”
~
“So do you come to this place a lot?” Sid asked with a mouthful of chicken in his mouth.
We were sitting in one of the warmest, yummiest restaurants I knew near Lake Michigan, and I was sipping my soup.

“I come here a lot in the winter,” I admitted. “The lake looks beautiful, and they have an indoor fireplace. And it’s just so nice here.”

Sidney nodded. “It really is. Hey, thanks for taking me. I could tell Toews wasn’t too happy about it.”

I sighed. “Yeah, he’s kind of a jerk sometimes.”

He laughed. “I get it. I wouldn’t want my girlfriend going out to lunch with someone else. If it were reversed, I certainly wouldn’t want my girl going out with him.”

I gave him an incredulous look. “Sid, he’s not my boyfriend, remember?”

Sid furrowed his brow. “But at that meeting a few weeks ago Kane said you were dating someone.”

“Yeah, he said I was dating Stalberg,” I emphasized.

He laughed. “Well, I heard him say you were dating “someone.” I though it was very mysterious.”

I slouched in my seat. “He’s just a little over-protective, I guess.”

“He must like you, if he’s acting like that,” Sid reasoned, taking a bite of broccoli thoughtfully.

“He has a girlfriend,” I replied shortly.

“Poor girl,” Sid frowned.

I raised my eyebrows. “For having to deal with Jon? Yeah.”

“No, for dating a guy who isn’t really interested in her,” Sid corrected with an impish smile.

I laughed. “Funny. You haven’t even met her.”

“I see the way Jon looks at you. And I feel sorry for the other girl,” he explained, taking sip of his soda.

I groaned. “I’m with Viktor.”

Sid’s eyes widened. “Oh shit, I forgot. Is he a good guy?”

I covered my face. “He’s the best guy. Ever.”

Sidney sighed. “Well that makes things difficult.”

I peeked out of my hands with an indignant look on my face, staring at Sid’s relaxed face.

“Doesn’t it make it easier? Why would I chase a rude, taken guy when I have an amazing, single guy to myself?” I demanded.

Sidney smiled. “Because you want him. I don’t understand why, but you want him. But I’m making you frustrated. Let’s talk about something else. Where did you live before Chicago?”

Thankful for the change in subject, I told him about beautiful Northern California and my childhood there. I relaxed again, and the rest of lunch was enjoyable. It felt like no matter the person I talked to these days, the conversation turned to my personal life.
♠ ♠ ♠
I just had to insert a bit of Crosby into this story, because I think he's great :)
Here is chapter 28...wow, maybe I should start thinking about wrapping things up? I don't seem to have the heart to.

Let me know if you liked it in the comments!
Oh, and the Blackhawks won yesterday against the Predators 4-3, and the Sharks won on Thursday 6-1 to topple the Wild, so it was a good week hockey wise.

All the terrible events in Boston and Texas really put a damper on the rest of the week, though. Let's hope next week is a bit better. Here's to hoping things improve.

Also, I don't know if you've noticed, but all the titles of my stories are song titles from a band called Keane. If you don't know who they are, you should check them out. :)

Thanks for reading.<3