Status: WE WERE ON A BREAK

Perfect Symmetry

Try Again

“March first,” I said to Viktor as I arrived at his apartment after a long Friday of work.

He looked at me questioningly. “Is this some kind of code?”

I laughed. “No, I - ” My voice was cut off by Viktor’s lips on mine. I dropped my handbag and wrapped my arms around his neck. Thank god I was wearing high heels, or this would have been way less perfect. His arms slipped down to my bum, squeezing me gently. I pulled away and giggled. “Wow, someone’s missed me.”

“Long road trip,” Viktor managed to get out before turning his attention to my neck and collarbone. “But what does March first mean?”

I was struggling to get my breath as his lips and hands worked their magic, but I swallowed part of my desire to answer him.

“It’s the day of the launch of my campaign. There’s going to be a big party downtown,” I explained breathlessly.

Viktor’s head shot up. “Jazz, that’s amazing. I’m so proud of you.”

I blushed. “So you’ll be my date?”

He laughed, shoving my jacket off and starting on the buttons of my shirt.

“Did you really have to ask that?” he murmured before kissing my again.
~
The company was throwing a huge party in my honor, since the ad had been released conservatively across the nation in several key cities and had been met with huge success. Liz had two party planners getting it all together. It meant hundreds of people, most of whom I wouldn’t know, and lots of drinks and fancy dresses.

The party would also invite NHL players from all over the country to come and celebrate with us. I tried to get Ryan Gosling on the list, but Liz still wouldn’t bite. Damn. I knew that all my friends from the Blackhawks would be invited, and probably everyone involved in the ads, but apart from that, I was totally clueless to the guest list.

The ‘hawks had a winning streak going, but I wasn’t able to attend many games, since work had me really tied up. I was spending less and less time with Viktor and more homework with my laptop.

The date of the party was getting closer when Hailey broke the news that she couldn’t come.

“What?” I asked in disappointment.

She sighed in annoyance. “You have no idea how much I want to go, Jazz, but I’m in New York that whole week.”

“This sucks,” I mumbled childishly.”

Hailey smiled weakly. “Hey, there might be so many people there you won’t even notice I’m not there.

I stuck my tongue out at her. “You had better hope that’s the case, missy.”

The weeks became days, and Liz tried to get me more involved in the planning of the party, but I wanted nothing to do with it, really. Apart from the people who were involved in the campaign then a few extra players from the Blackhawks, I was done. The rest of the guest list was a mystery to me. The party was being held in a huge venue, though, and when I asked Liz how many people were coming, she said “a couple hundred.”

A couple hundred? It seemed insane. I was told to buy a nice fancy dress, since all of the men would be in suits. I knew that this party wasn’t really for me. It was for the company to soak up some media attention and get the campaign to catch on in Chicago. But whatever, it meant free booze and a night out with Viktor for free. What could go so wrong?
~
Famous last words, as they say. I woke up on Saturday morning, got dressed, and called Viktor to figure out how we were getting to the party.

“Hello?” an almost unrecognizable voice answered.

“Viktor?” I asked in astonishment.

He attempted to clear his throat for what felt like minutes.

“Jazz, how are you?” he croaked.

I winced, and put down my keys to give my full attention to the clearly ill man on the phone with me.

“You’re sick,” I said sympathetically, feeling terrible.

He attempted to sound chipper, but he admitted that he wasn’t feeling particularly well.

“I think it might be strep throat. I’m seeing the doctor tomorrow,” he sounded pained as he spoke.

“Does it hurt to swallow? Do you have any rashes on your body?” I quizzed him, snapping into protective mode.

“Yes, it hurts. And my legs are itchy,” he admitted.

I frowned. “It sounds like strep, Viktor. You need antibiotics.”

“Your party is tonight,” he sounded miserable. “I was looking forward to it.”

I chuckled. “Don’t worry about the stupid party. You try and get yourself better. Don’t you dare skip that appointment tomorrow even if you feel better.”

“Yes nurse,” Viktor replied, his voice raw. “I’ll talk to you later. Have fun tonight.”

“See you soon,” I spoke in closing before hanging up the phone.

As soon as I put the phone down, my heart filled with dread. Great, now I had to go to this stupid party stag. Sure, the guys would be there, but they would all bring dates and wives and girlfriends. Ugh.

I was hungry, and as I walked to my usual café, I went over the list of non-hockey-playing guys that I knew. The list was embarrassingly short, and I could only really ever think of asking Will from work. I didn’t even particularly like Will, and we had nothing in common except our mutual love of hockey, but that would not provide an entire evening of conversation.

I was mulling this over in my head and trying to picture me and Will going anywhere together when I felt a hand grasp my shoulder. Jumped about a foot in the air, shrugging the hand off my shoulder. This was a nice neighborhood, but it was still Chicago, and I had to be wary. I wanted to slap myself and him when I looked up and saw it was Jonathan. He was those gym workout clothes again, and he had an headphones in his ear and an iPod strapped to his arm.

“Sorry!” he yelled, probably due to the loud volume his music was playing at.

I rolled my eyes and reached up to yank the headphones out of his ears quickly. He gave me a mean look and snatched them back.

“Can you not yell your apology at me?” I snapped in irritation.

Jonathan looked amused, but turned off his iPod and slipped it into his gym short pockets obediently.

“Going for breakfast?” he asked cheerfully.

I glared at him. “Going for a run?” I retorted sarcastically.

Jon was clearly biting back a smile, and his upper was curving in a very appealing way.

“Just finished,” he replied, “I’d love something to eat, though.”

“Is this your indirect way of apologizing again?” I questioned him as he fell into stride next to me.

He sighed. “I can be more direct, but that hasn’t been any more successful in the past. I keep making you mad all over again.”

“Well you like to make mountains out of molehills,” I explained, wrapping my coat around me tighter.

Jon looked serious now. “I know I do. But I also like coffee. Do you want some?"

I gave him a tired look, but he smiled slightly and I turned away. We had reached the café by now, and he held the door open for me and then followed me in. Even sweaty and gross, the feeling of his chest close to my back still made my palms sweat.

“Cappuccino?” he asked me, giving me a knowing smile.

I nodded brusquely. “And a croissant, too.”

I grabbed a seat at a table near the window. I always sat here. It was habitual for me. I loved to watch people walk. People were so different, and I never really got a chance to stop and look at them except when I was in this café. There were the teenagers with their backpacks, walking with their large group of friends with smiles on their faces. The college students were more elusive, emerging in pairs or threesomes at most, their faces excited and open to new experiences. Families were the best to watch; the mother with the adventurous son, the father trying to watch two kids at once, or the child snuggled up on his father’s shoulder, sucking his thumb. I was watching an elderly couple leave a store across the street when Jonathan placed the coffee in front of me and slid the croissant towards me.

“Thanks,” I offered him a small smile.

He took a sip from his cup, watching me carefully.

“So your honorary party is tonight,” he said exuberantly.

I was surprised. It was unlike Jon to strike up the conversation. Usually somebody else did and he just kept it going.

“Yup,” I replied unenthusiastically.

“You don’t sound too thrilled,” Jon noted, his eyebrows rose questioningly.

I sighed. “It’s just going to be a bunch of people I don’t know.”

“Not true. Hockey players will be there,” he reminded me.

I nodded. “Yeah, but Viktor just told me he can’t come. I think he has strep throat.”

Jon frowned. “Yeah, he wasn’t at practice early this morning.”

“I hate going to these type of parties without an escort,” I grumbled, “I think I’ll bribe Pat or Burish to take me.”

He smiled tightly. “Right. Because Stally’s not coming.”

I took a sip from my coffee and a large bite of my croissant, studying Jonathan carefully. He looked nice in that grey jogging shirt, matching beanie, and those plain black gym shorts He didn’t look like a hockey player for once; he just looked like a very good-looking young man.

“Actually Jazz,” he added suddenly, putting his coffee down rather forcefully. “Truthfully, I wasn’t going to go to your party tonight, since it’s normally not really my scene, but I’ll escort you tonight.

I gaped at him stupidly. I hoped he didn’t think I was hinting at him taking me! I didn’t want to seem like those desperate, over-flirtatious girls that mention not having a date in order to get the man to be her date.

“I, uh...Jon, you know you don’t have to,” I mumbled, trying to look at him in the eye, but failing miserably.

“I’ll pick you up at seven,” he smiled and I couldn’t think of a retort in time. His phone buzzed and he stood up. “I have to go pick up Kaner from the rink. I’ll see you tonight.” He disappeared outside and started jogging again, probably back to his apartment.

There was no doubt in that sentence. There was no “I’ll see you tonight?” The question mark was nonexistent. Jonathan had taken charge of the situation. I was feeling guilty at how excited I was getting for this party now.

I went home to go hang my dress, unable to keep a smile off my face.
~
The dress was midnight a floor length, midnight blue number, with thick beaded straps and embellishments all around my waist and bust. It was also 50% off at Macy’s so I was very proud of it. I was sure the event was going to be stuffy and over-formal, but I decided not to go overboard with the dress, keeping it elegant but simple.

This was simple. Viktor couldn’t escort me, so Jonathan offered. I told myself this over and over again but I couldn’t seem to get myself to pick up the phone and tell Viktor. I knew he wouldn’t be mad, but my rocky friendship with Jon was one of the few sore subjects we had. Whenever I brought up how annoying Jon was being or how he was playing, Viktor changed the subject, or kissed me which took my mind off of everything.

I was ready, hair in light waves and my eyes slightly smoky when Jonathan buzzed in.

“Hey I’ll be right down,” I called into the speaker before grabbing my shawl and hurrying downstairs.

Oh shit he looked fantastic as usual. His black suit was perfectly pressed, and his dark blue tie somehow managed to match my dress.

I gave him a suspicious look. “Did I tell you what color my dress was?”
He looked surprised. “No, but I like this tie. And I thought maybe you would wear some sort of blue. Besides, I’m not technically your date, so we don’t have to match.”

“But we do,” I pointed out with a smile.

“Luck, I guess,” he shrugged, holding out his arm awkwardly.

I wrapped my arm around his and he walked me outside to his fancy car. He was heading for the drivers door when he seemed to remember something and then ran back to my side, hurrying to open the car door for me.

“Wow, the princess treatment tonight, huh?” I teased as he closed the door behind me.

The conversation resumed as he took his seat and started the engine.

“Only the best for you, Jazz,” he said half-mockingly.

I laughed and reached over to play with the radio stations again, but he swatted my hand away.

“What?” I whined, trying to get my hand to the dials.

“I hate it when the channels are changing as I’m driving,” he warned, “so you can pick one station and then stick with it.”

I groaned. “Yes, mother.”

I found a station playing U2 and decided to leave it there, figuring that the Irish bands were generally good crowd pleasers. I was feeling too self-conscious to sing along, but I did allow myself to hum softly, since Jon wasn’t really making too much conversation.

“So have you seen the ads?” Jonathan broke in as soon as the song ended.

I smiled. “Of course I have.”

“Did I make the final cut?” he pressed, accelerating on the expressway while glancing over to me.

I laughed. “You’re the king of Chicago, Jonathan. What do you think?”

“You’re avoiding my question,” he pointed out. “Did you put Crosby on a bigger poster than me or something.”

Bringing up Crosby suppressed my giggles. “What is with your crazy competitiveness when it involves Crosby?”

Jon tried to make proper eye contact with me but had to turn back to the road quickly.

“Isn’t it obvious? I’m a captain, he’s a captain, he’s around the same age as me...the ladies love both of us,” he added with a smirk.

I scoffed. “Well you’re both feeding out of a different pool of women. Pittsburgh and Chicago aren’t exactly neighboring cities.”

“You get the point. We’re always being compared in the media as it is...and then you were hanging out with him too, so I kind of hate him,” Jonathan finished rather calmly.

I frowned. “Well, he’s going to be here tonight, so you’d better be on your best behavior.”

Jon jumped, his serene attitude gone.

“He came all the way from fucking Pittsburgh to come to this party?” he asked incredulously.

I forced back a laugh. “Yup. He’s a nice guy, Jon. Just be nice, okay?”

He clenched his jaw as we pulled up to the entrance of the hall. I gasped as I saw the multitude of cameras and reporters waiting by the entrance to the hall. Jonathan patted my hand comfortingly.

“Wait here; I’ll help you out,” he murmured before opening the car door and slamming it shut.

My chest rose and fell as I took deep breaths. Screw this, I thought fiercely, and I threw the car door open my self. Jonathan looked surprised, but he waited for me to get out of the car and then we walked up to the door side-by-side. The cameras flashed, and I tried to smile at the right places. A reporter was shouting my name, but I didn’t know where to look. I stayed rooted to the spot as the chaos revolved around me.

Jonathan grasped my hand and guided me to the door, smiling and signing a few autographs for the fans by the door. My breath hitched and I was thankful when the heavy doors closed behind us, and the noise ceased.

“Wow, that was strange,” I muttered, pulling off my shawl.

“Nobody told you to expect the press?” Jonathan asked, pulling off his coat.

I shrugged. “No, but I probably should have known. After all, all of NHL’s stars are here. And I came here with you, and I’m sure reporters jump all over your dates, right?”

He was silent. I looked up at him, waiting for him to say something in response, but he was staring at me wordlessly. “Jonathan?” I poked his chest. “You okay?”

He shook his head violently. “Yeah, yeah, sorry. You look great, by the way.”

I blushed. “Um, thanks. You look nice today too. Not that you don’t look nice most of the time.”

He shifted uncomfortably until we walked through the foyer and into the main room. It was huge, with chandeliers and expensive-looking linens and lots of people listening to the piano, being played by a man in a fancy tuxedo. Liza came up to us first, looking nice in black, tight dress.

“Hey, it’s the guest of honor!” she called out with a smile. “You look lovely, Jazz. And...Mr. Toews, you look great.”

Jonathan smiled gallantly. “Great to see you again, Liza.”

She handed us both a glass of champagne and took my arm.

“You have a lot of people to mingle with Jazz. I don’t want to see you snuggling up with captain sexy, okay?” she murmured in my ear.

I laughed. “Yes, ma’am. How many are here?”

She breathed out heavily. “About 200. But you only know half of them.”

“Great. I’ll get on that,” I rolled my eyes, taking a gulp of champagne.

“Don’t worry, I’ll entertain captain yummy,” she winked at me.

I groaned. “Oh God.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Next chapterrrr in honor of the Blackhawks winning the Presidents Trophy yayyyy
Also the Sharks clinched a playoff spot so good few days in the world of hockey.

ooh a whole night of Jon for Jazz? Things might get spicy!
Let me know what you thought of this chapter: I tried to make it longer for you guys.