Status: WE WERE ON A BREAK

Perfect Symmetry

Atlantic

Before heading out on my mingling mission, I returned to Jon, who looked a little uncomfortable surrounded by people he only barely knew.

“I’m sorry,” I told him sincerely. “But duty calls.”

He looked very understanding, but I linked arms with him anyway and led him over to where Pat, Sharpie, and Abby were standing and drinking.

“Jazz!” Abby greeted with a grin, pulling my in for a hug. “You look ravishing. Where’s Viktor?”

I wrinkled my nose. “He’s sick, so I’ve brought my stand-in escort, Jon.”

Jon waved; grabbing a drink from a wandering waiter and taking a large gulp rather enthusiastically.

“That’s what I’m talkin’ about!” Kaner grinned eagerly, taking a gulp of his drink with a competitive look in his eyes.

I laughed, and after giving Sharpie a hug and Kaner a punch in the shoulder, I started to make my way around the room. It was a huge ass room, by the way. Towering ceilings, pillars in the middle of the dining area, and people milling about everywhere. Liz was by my side, introducing me and prodding at me to charm all the men in business suits.

“Jazz, this is Rupert Gilles, the president of the company,” Liz introduced me to the grey haired man in a very expensive looking suit.

Just as I was about to open my mouth to say hello, Adam Burish cruised by and tickled my side, causing me to jump half a foot in the air and squeak like a guinea pig. I turned to chide Adam, but he had melted into the crowd already.

“Sorry, sir. It’s nice to meet you,” I gave him a sheepish smile.

Mr. Gilles looked rather amused. “Are you a hockey fan, Miss Patil?”

I felt my face brighten as I talked about my love of the game, from the San Jose Sharks to the Chicago Blackhawks.

“I’ve been so lucky to meet and get to know these players,” I emphasized with a guilty smile. “And I love it.”

“You have players from all around the league here,” he looked impressed, “I think I see Sidney Crosby getting a drink as we speak.”

“Well we really wanted to make this particular campaign a national issue,” I explained professionally. “Plus, I got to meet Sidney Crosby, so it was a win-win,” I added with a chuckle.

“I’m glad I could be of service,” a familiar voice teased as I felt an arm make its way across my shoulders.

I didn’t have to turn around to know who it was.

“Speak of the devil,” I grinned, pulling Sid’s jacket playfully. “Mr. Gilles, meet Sidney Crosby. Sid, this is Rupert Gilles; he’s the president of my company.”

Sid smiled affably and shook Mr. Gilles hands and they talked hockey for a while as I stood there with a big smile on my face. Sid soon left, looking for a drink, and Mr. Gilles gave me a big smile.

“This is the best – a nice change from the usual shop talk I have to use with my colleagues. I much prefer talking about something fun like hockey at a party,” he admitted with a guilty smile.

I laughed. “Well, you’ll probably be sick of talking hockey by the end of this party; there are just too many players here.”

“Fat chance! Oh, I think I see Jonathan Toews! I’ll see you later, Ms. Patil,” he waved hastily and strode away, looking a bit star-struck.

I made my way through most of the suits during the cocktail hour, and everybody was friendly and very complimentary of my work. Many asked how fun it was to work with the players, but I was coy and told them that they were really just a bunch of overgrown children. They all loved that. I heard the announcement for dinner, and I was making my way to my table when I spotted Adam Burish; he was standing with Sharpie, laughing raucously.

“Having fun, boys?” I poked my head into their conversation with a grin.

Adam winked. “There are some hot looking corporate people here, Jazz.”

I rolled my eyes. “And they all have even hotter corporate husbands, Adam.”

“Well then they’re probably dying for a nice roll in the hay with a big, strong hockey player,” Adam continued with a wicked smile. “By the way, you look great.”

I blushed. “Thanks. I think dinner is starting in a few minutes; have you found your table yet?”

“Yeah, thanks for sticking me with this bozo, Jazz,” Patrick groaned teasingly, “I can’t seem to shake him.”

I laughed at Burish’s pout. “C’mon, Sharpie; the fans adore us.”

“It’s true,” I admitted, “I’m sure there’s some sort of petition on the Internet to get the two of you to get married.”

Adam fluttered his eyelashes at Patrick girlishly. “What do you say, Patrick? Will you take me?”

Patrick swatted away his teammate’s hand. “I don’t think anyone sober would take you, Burish.”

Adam laughed. “Well it’s a good thing there’s alcohol here, because I am determined to have a nice girl on my arm as I leave tonight.”

I patted his back. “I’ll see you both later, okay?”

They waved and I made my way to my table. Jonathan was already sitting down, nodding politely as Liz raved to him about something. Her arms were flying all over the place and she was simply hysterical.

“Hey,” I smiled, pulling out my chair and plopping down on it. “God, I’m already exhausted.”

“And we haven’t even danced yet,” Jonathan whispered, patting my leg.

I gave him a surprised look. “I didn’t think you were the dancing type, Mr. Toews.”

“Well it looks like you don’t know me as well as you think you do, doesn’t it?” he retorted with a smirk.

“You’re not dancing until every businessman in this room is drooling at your feet,” Liz declared with finality, sipping her wine.

I groaned. “That will take all night.”

“It’ll get easier as they consume more alcohol,” she assured me.

I laughed. “Great; drunk, horny men in suits. Just my idea of a party.”

Jon’s head perked up. “I’ll come with you.”

I shook my head. “If you come then everyone will be drooling over you. Which people already do, so it’s redundant! Anyway, I’m starved. What’s for dinner?”

I glanced at the card on the table and realized that there was a choice of steak, chicken, and tofu for dinner. The waiter came by just as I spoke, like magic, and I ordered the chicken, while Jon and Liz both ordered the steak. I was then transitioned into a conversation with Hugh Miller, the man who had commissioned the anti-bullying campaign that I had run.

“It was an immense pleasure to work on the project,” I assured him with a smile.

He nodded. “Well I’m certainly glad with the way it turned out. I think your future at the company is very bright, Miss Patil.”

I beamed with pride and Jon squeezed my hand in excitement. I turned to gape at Jon but the moment I moved, the waiters returned and placed our food in front of us. All other thoughts left my mind and I dug in, trying very hard not to spill anything but I was ravenous.

“I’m so proud of you,” Jon murmured as I took a gulp of wine to wash down my meal.

I gave him a grin and I stole a bite of his mashed potatoes cheekily.

“Good. Because I work my ass off,” I replied candidly.

A lot of the guests had finished eating by now, and the buzz of conversation was gradually getting louder. Liz squeezed my shoulder.

“I’m going to say a few words,” she explained as she stood up and made her way to the podium. She cleared her throat commandingly and the crowd quieted and all eyes turned to her.

“Hello! I’m Liz, the supervisor of this event,” she paused as there was a round of applause for her introduction, “I am so proud of what this campaign has turned into; a collaboration between a national sports league and our company is better than I ever expected. And here to talk to you about all of this is Jasmina Patil!”

I choked on my wine. A speech? She never said anything about a speech! The panic must have been showing on my face because Jonathan patted my shoulder and mouthed, “You can do it” as I stood up shakily and made my way to the podium. Halfway there, the entire room burst into applause and I blushed, smiling in what I hoped was a gracious manner until the applause died down.

“Wow, okay I am so not prepared to give some sort of JFK style speech,” I joked, relieved to hear the laughter in the audience, “but I do want to say that I am so proud of how this entire company and its staff and the NHL teamed up to create this really great advertising campaign. Thank you so much Liz, for having trust in me and for believing that it would work out. Thanks to all the NHL players and coaches that were good sports about all of this, and extra thanks to Jonathan Toews and Coach Q for really getting the ball rolling. I’m so happy I could be a part of this cause! Thank you so much for coming, everybody,” I finished with another smile before ducking my head and hurrying back to my table amidst thunderous applause.

Jonathan and everyone else at our table was standing up and clapping and I blushed profusely as I sat down and downed the rest of my wine.

“You were great!” Jon assured me.

I frowned. “I don’t know how you celebrities do it. I give you guys props; that is nerve-wracking.

“Well you had all of us fooled; you looked cool as a cucumber up there,” Liza remarked with a smile.

Dessert came out soon after, and I ordered another glass of wine while everybody else dug in to red velvet cake.

“I don’t understand how you can’t like this,” Jonathan shook his head in disbelief.

“Well believe it, brother,” I replied, “because I’m not eating it.”

“Not even if I spoon fed you? Here comes the airplane!” Jon teased, moving a forkful of cake towards my face.

I slapped his large arm away. “Don’t even think about it. Okay, I am going to go say thank you to some people.”

“But the dancing starts soon!” he whined as I stood up. He grabbed my wrist but I just laughed and shook him off.

“I’m sure Liza would be more than happy to dance with you,” I winked as I walked off.

I could hear Liza chattering excitedly as I left. I almost felt bad leaving him there undefended. Oh well, he’s a hockey player; he can handle himself.

I made my way through several drunken businessmen before Sid found me giggling at one of the older women in my office who was flirting outrageously with Kaner, who looked cornered and confused.

“Usually it’s the other way around,” I explained to Sidney in between bursts of giggles.

Sid laughed. “Come on, Kane. Put her in a cab like a gentleman.”

Pat nodded furiously and dragged the woman towards the front door with a grimace on his face.

“How are you doing, Mr. Crosby?” I turned to him with a smile. “You clean up well.”

“You look lovely too, Jazz,” Sid replied, “How about a dance?”

I bit my lip. It was already 10:00, so the most respectable important men had gone home to bed, and the ones who remained were pretty drunk or sleepy. My mind jumped to Jon, who was probably stuck with a starry-eyed Liza, but I shrugged.

“Sure Sid,” I agreed and I took his hand. “But I warn you, I’m a horrible dancer.”

He chuckled. “I find that hard to believe.”

I groaned. “Trust me. I suck.”

“Well you’re in luck, because I am such a spaz that no one will even be looking at you once we get out there, I promise,” he replied as he yanked me out onto the crowded floor.

It wasn’t too bad as long as you were dancing with someone. Sidney pulled me into tight twirls and did stupid dance moves like the cabbage patch with me, which was pretty embarrassing but I had drunk too much wine to care at this point. After a couple dances with Sid, I begged off and started to head to the bathroom when an arm snaked around my wrist and pulled me closer.

I stumbled and then I felt a large arm steady my gently. I looked up and saw Jon’s dark eyes glittering down at me.

“I thought you said you would be too busy to dance,” he accused, his eyebrows rose suspiciously.

I shrugged. “I’m sorry; Sid just kind of dragged me out there.”

“Did he?” he asked calmly. I knew better than to think he was actually calm. His hands were clenched and his jaw was locked.

I laughed, putting a hand on his arm. “Calm down, Jonny; I’m just going to the restroom. Get me another drink, will you?”

I patted his large bicep and tried not to faint as I wandered over to the toilets. On the way over there, Abby Sharp grabbed my elbow and pulled me into the empty seat next to her. I gasped in surprise and rubbed the part of my arm that she had used to drag me around.

“Hello to you too, Abby,” I grumbled, patting her leg.

She laughed, tossing her luminous head and taking a sip of wine.

“I tell you, Jazz, it feels so good to be out again, baby free,” she admitted with a hiccup.

I nodded understandingly. “I hope you’re having a good time.”

Abby nodded emphatically, grabbing my shoulders very convincingly.

The best,” she assured me earnestly, “I just wished I could do it more often.”

I smiled. “There’s no reason you can’t, Abby. Really.”

She snorted in an unlady-like manner. “I have one very big reason. And her name is Maddy.”

I laughed. “Right, but you can always get a sitter if you ever need a little time-out, you know.”

Her eyes sparkled. “We have such trouble finding nannies that aren’t insane.”

I frowned. “Oh, Abby, I’m sorry. Why didn’t you mention it? I can give you a few names.”

She nodded with a tipsy smile. “I think I’ll have to take you up on that. But anyway, forget my whining. You look fabulous; Jonathan is drooling all over you.”

I blushed. “Thanks. And no he isn’t. He is being relatively normal, though. No spats to account for yet.”

“An impressive feat,” Abby remarked. “Have you called Viktor yet?”

I shook my head. “No, I want him to rest. I was just going to the bathroom when you kidnapped me, though. So I think I’d better...” I edged out of my seat.

Abby waved and started talking to other blonde, beautiful ladies and I stood up and finally got to the bathroom.
~

Three women surrounded Jonathan when I got back to the table. Three. Two of the girls were clearly too young for him, meaning they were probably daughters of some of the fuddy-duddy businessmen here. The third was clearly a woman, with luscious breasts and a perfect hourglass figure in a sea green tight fitting dress that looked lovely with her red-bronze hair. She was whispering something in his ear and he was leaning over and smiling to hear it.

I cleared my throat as I arrived, planting myself in the seat next to him with a smirk that must have looked conniving, because the two girls looked concerned. Red-head wasn’t bothered, though.

“Jazz,” Jon looked grateful to see me. “This is Ariel; she works in your office.”

Ariel? How fucking perfect, with her red hair and her green dress. It was then that I recognized her. She wasn’t exactly in my office; she was the whole floor’s front secretary. I remembered her because Will commented on how big her breasts were when she first started working here.

I smiled thinly. “Sure; hi, Ariel. I didn’t know you were a hockey fan.”

She bared her teeth at me in a pearly white smile that stretched across her flawless skin.

“Oh I’ve always been a huge Blackhawks fan,” she replied in a raspy voice.

I turned my eyes to the other two girls, who were shrinking away, looking younger by the second.

“I think your parents are leaving,” my voice came out harsher than I knew was possible.

They scurried away quietly with bright red faces, meaning that my inference that their parents were here was in fact correct. Jonathan was smiling at me through his eyes, but I refused to even look at him in the eye and turned instead to Ariel.

“Have you met any of the other players, Ariel?” I asked with a false smile.

“Uh...not really,” she responded.

My grin continued. “Not one? At a team function? What a shame! Let me introduce you.”

Ariel’s fingers were pressed onto Jon’s shoulders; I don’t know how I missed it before. Why wasn’t he moving? She shook her head.

“I think I’ve already found my favourite player, actually,” she retorted.

Jonathan choked on his drink and finally decided to shrug her off. He stood up and wrapped an arm around my waist and led me away from the table. He turned his head and yelled back.

“Nice meeting you, Ariel, but I think you’re better off trying to seduce another player,” he advised loudly.

“I hear Burish is available!” I added vindictively as Jonathan turned around the corner.

I brushed his hand off of me and glared at him.

“What? I thought the Burish thing was funny,” Jonathan laughed at my expression.

I sighed. “Took you long enough to shrug her off of you,” I mumbled in irritation.

Jon smiled. “I was being polite, Jazz. Nothing else.”

“Her fingers were all over you,” I reminded him with a frown.

His smile faded. “You’re being a bit silly, Jazz. What was I supposed to do, shove her off me and tell her to get lost?”

“Well that would have been amusing,” I admitted, “but you could have just excused yourself; it would have been much less dramatic. And how old were those other girls, nineteen? Eighteen? God, you looked like Hugh Hefner.”

Jon’s eyes darkened. “I do not act or look like Hugh Hefner. Why are you being so vindictive? It’s almost like...” he trailed off.

I folded my arms across my chest. “Almost like what, Jon?”

He grabbed my hands and squeezed them tightly.

“It’s almost like you’re jealous,” he finished with a triumphant look in his eye.

I scoffed. “Now you’re grasping at straws.”

“Uh-huh. Okay, I’m going to go find Ariel and maybe dance with her,” Jon was going to drop my hands but I kept hold, digging my nails sharply into his palms.

“You have a girlfriend,” I growled.

“You have a boyfriend,” he retorted.

I sighed in defeat and dropped his hands.

“I guess I just don’t like seeing you with those types of girls,” I admitted quietly. “Plus I’ve had quite a bit of wine and I’m tired.”

Jonathan laughed and pulled me in for a hug and pressed a kiss to my forehead lightly.

“Then let’s get you home.”

We walked out of the building, where some of the reporters were still lingering, waiting for one more star to walk out of the building. Jon took my hand and we strode toward the car, which was parked just down the road. I glanced back at the crowd of reporters, convinced that I had seen a familiar face, before shrugging it off and quickening my steps to keep up with Jonathan’s powerful strides.
♠ ♠ ♠
tried to make it longer; it feels like ages since I've updated. I can't believe school will wrapping up in a month and I'm going to university! ahhh

AND THE PLAYOFFS HAVE STARTED. AND THE SHARKS AND THE BLACKHAWKS ARE BOTH UP 2-0!!!

ohmygodddd

okay I hope you enjoyed the chapter, my lovely readers; hopefully I'll update soon! :) love you all