Know Your Enemy

Lana

My locker slammed shut with a bang. The nearest teacher whose classroom was closest to my locker flinched and took a few steps away to distance herself from me. I was in an especially rockin’ mood, and people were taking notice. Only one more class to go, and the day couldn’t have dragged on any longer.

Dragging my feet as I walked, I passed a bulletin board. All I saw was a sheet reading Cheerleading Practice at 2:30 in the Gymnasium , and I ripped it down. My hand gravitated toward my pocket to where my lighter was. The flyer crunched in my fist as I crumbled it and tossed it in the next trashcan I saw. Letting out a breath, I turned on my heel and walked away.

Zayn was walking down the hall with Harry. I folded my arms and waited for them to notice. I first made eye contact with Harry. His eyes widened a bit before clapping Zayn on the back and going in the opposite direction. The expression on my face must have been even more pleasant than usual.

“Hey!” I shouted to Zayn. Practically everyone around me looked up but him. He heard me. I marched up to him. “You and Harry look awfully chummy.” I almost asked whether Harry had brought Harlow up in the conversation since I’d seen him walk right past her earlier that day.

“Lana?” I heard a voice chime in from behind me.

Turning around with a fake smile plastered on my face, I soon came to be face to face with my Psychology teacher.

“Hi, hun, you’re still missing a test from last week.” I cringed at the sound of her calling me hun.

“I am?” Her eyes narrowed a bit. Must have missed being told about that one. Although, I definitely did skip Psych a few times the week before.

“How’s this afternoon after school?”

“Actually, I’m kind of already-”

“Excellent, I’ll see you at 2.”

My face dropped as I stared at her walking away. “Bitch,” I groaned. Looking back at where Zayn was supposed to have been, there was no one. I kicked up some dust on the floor and trudged down the hall.

Then, somebody grabbed onto my hand from behind and yanked me into a janitor’s closet. A gasp flew past my lips as the door shut behind me and a light switched on to reveal a chuckling Zayn. He grabbed a cigarette from a carton on the shelf behind him and slipped it behind his ear for later.
My palms pushed against his chest and he staggered back a step with a close mouthed grin remaining on his face.

“You’re such an asshole.”

“What’s the matter now?” he asked as he rolled his eyes and leaned up against the wall.

“You scared the hell out of me! Anyways, you and Styles have gotten close.”

“What? Worried I’ll take Harry to the movies today instead of you? I’m actually giving that a second thought with the way you’re acting.”

“Very funny. I’ll just call up Niall to hang out right after taking a test I now have to make up at 2.”

“Have fun walking home.” My hands fell onto my hips. He put his hands on the sides of my face with a laugh. “I was kidding, Lana. God, cool it. I’ll wait in the parking lot, and we’ll go to a later show.”

I let out a smile before quickly returning to seeming indifferent. “And we’re getting out of this supply closet now.” I got a hold on the sleeve of his leather jacket and tugged him back out into the hallway with me.

That’s when I saw Clara heading our way. Liam Payne was walking alongside her. She was in her cheerleading uniform, him in his jersey. I got ready to storm up to her the second she opened her mouth. My fists clenched as she got closer.

About a thousand things that I could yell at her came into my mind. Without thinking, I took a step toward her as she passed us.

“She’s not gonna say anything,” Zayn said under his breath. “Don’t waste your time.”

And he was right. She didn’t say a word. Any other time, she would’ve been making some pathetic, snide remark about the two of us in a heartbeat. Not to mention, we had just come out of a janitor’s closet together, for shit’s sake. Clara should’ve been in her glory.

Dumbfounded, I turned to Zayn. He looked just as baffled as I felt. “What the hell was that?”

“Beats me. Maybe she didn’t wanna get hit again,” he shrugged. “I do remember you threatening her, tough guy.” That one got him an elbow in the ribs.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry the wait was so long! Sorry, sorry, sorry! I'm now done with my last big project for school so my updates should be up sooner :)
~Meg