‹ Prequel: If You Only Knew
Status: In progress

If They Only Knew

Can't Fight This Feeling

(This chapter focuses on the events in chapters 16 & 17 of the main story)

I wasn't sure when I should text Chris the following day. I didn't want to seem too anxious by texting him before he even got to the theatre, but I had no way of knowing when he was going to get here. Luckily, Kaley was able to help me with that.

"Darren and Chris are here," Kaley said suddenly, making me look up from the clothes I was folding.

"How do you know?" I asked, my eyes flickering towards the open door.

"They just passed by and Darren waved at me," she grinned.

"Oh, that's nice," I replied nonchalantly as I slowly pulled my phone from my pocket.

Me: So Kaley gets a good morning wave from Darren, but I don't get one from you? I'm hurt! :(

Chris: Well if I did that, then it would ruin my sneak attack plan!

Chris: ... opps

Chris: I guess that just ruined it!

I had to be careful not to giggle out loud. I didn't want to alert Kaley to what I was doing. I carefully picked up the pants that I had just folded and set them down on the table that was behind me before I replied.

Me: Haha yep, I think that did ruin any chance for a sneak attack :p

Chris: Don't be so sure ;P

I was slightly puzzled by his response and was about to text him back, asking what he meant, when suddenly a pair of airs wrapped around my waist and lifted me into the air.

"Gotcha!" a familiar voice declared.

"Eek!" I squealed. "Chris! Put me down!" My back was pressed against his stomach, so when he started to laugh, I was able to feel it before I heard it.

"Only if you admit that I was right and that I am awesome," he laughed, swinging me slightly for added effect.

"Alright! Alright!" I exclaimed. "You were right! You are awesome! Now put me down!" With another laugh, Chris finally set me down and let me go. I immediately spun around to face him to find that he had a huge, triumphant grin on his face.

"Ok so why are you right?" I asked, crossing my arms self-consiously over my chest.

"Because I told you that I would catch you!" he grinned. "Remember? I didn't need any luck because I'm just that awesome?"

"That's not fair!" I huffed. "I wasn't ready!"

"All's fair in love and war, hun," he laughed, flashing me another bright smile.

Good Lord, you're so gorgeous when you smile! I sighed to myself.

"So," Chris said, pulling my attention away from his smile. "What are you two up to?"

"Getting your outfits ready for the show," Kaley answered, holding up a t-shirt to prove her point. It was a bright blue shirt that Jenna Ushkowitz wore in the True Colours number.

"Oh fun," Chris replied, picking up a Starbucks cup off of one of the other tables and then hopping up onto the table beside me. He patted the empty space beside him, motioning for me to sit with him. "So you two would be the ones I'd go to if say I got a rip in my pants?"

I'd fix that for you in a heart beat, I thought with a grin.

"Yep," I nodded. "We are your go-to girls."

"Good to know," he grinned, taking a sip from his coffee. "Do you want some?" He held the cup out to me suddenly, which surprised me. Chris Colfer was offering to share his coffee with me? I'd be touching the same spot that his lips had touched! It was like the closest thing to a kiss that I could ever get from him!

"S-Sure," I smiled, taking the offered cup and taking a sip. I had to force myself to swallow the liquid. I wasn't an overly huge fan of coffee. I ususally needed it to have a lot of spoonfuls of sugar before I was actually able to enjoy the bitter liquid, but when Chris Colfer offers you a sip of his coffee, you don't say no. I just couldn't pass up an opportunity like that.

"Thanks," I said as I handed him the cup back. As soon as it was passed to his hand, he immediately raised it to his own lips and took a small sip. He closed his eyes and smiled as the liquid slid down his throat. I watched as his Adam's apple moved up and then back down and felt my stomach twist into a knot as my heart did a front flip.

Why do you have to be gay? I whined as I stared at him. You are too gorgeous to be gay! It's not right! It's not fair! I nearly stopped breathing as I watched him slide his tongue across his lips.

If only he was doing that to my lips, I sighed to myself. Little did I know, but he was thinking the same thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chris' POV


I watched as she took a sip from my cup. Normally, I wouldn't have ever let anyone take a sip from my cup, but for some reason, I really wanted her to. I smiled as she handed the cup back to me, saying a small "thanks" as she did so. The second that the cup was in my hand, I immediately brought it up to my lips and took a sip of my own. But it wasn't the coffee that I wanted to taste.

It tastes like... cherries, I smiled to myself, closing my eyes as I swallowed the coffee so that I could focus on the cherry taste. I slowly let my tongue slip out and slid across my lips, trying to transfer the cherry taste to them. I wanted to savour that taste... but why? Why did I want to savour it?

As I brought the cup to my lips again and tasted the cherry again, I suddenly pictured my lips touching Leah's.

What am I thinking?! I suddenly panicked. Why am I thinking like this?! Leah is a girl! I like guys! What's going on with me? I slowly opened my eyes again and looked back at Leah, who instantly looked away as she started to blush. There it was again. That feeling. I never got that feeling when I was around girls, only when I was around hot guys. The guys in my Glee family were different because I was used to them and even with Darren I never felt like this.

It's hard not to have feelings for a guy when you have to kiss him and pretend to be his boyfriend for hours at a time, but that was just it. It was all pretend. Darren was as straight as an arrow, though sometimes his actions made me question just how straight he was, and I was finally able to calm my feelings for him. But now this with Leah... It was like nothing I'd ever felt before and I had absolutely no idea what to do about it.

It's the way that she looks at me, I realized as Leah's pretty blue eyes looked up at me. It's the way that she looks at me and then looks away, trying to pretend that she wasn't looking at me even though she was. It's the way that her cheeks turn pink when I catch her looking at me. It's the way that she sends playful texts to me. Oh man, I'm starting to sound like Darren now, obsessing over that girl of his and- Oh my gosh! Do I have feelings for Leah?

I snuck another glance at her and my heart suddenly did a flip flop as I caught her looking at me again. But this time, she didn't look away. It was like when we had first met and our eyes locked on each others'. I started to feel myself getting lost in her eyes. They were so beautiful...

"Well, hello there, Blaine," Kaley suddenly laughed, snapping us both out of the trance and drawing both of our attentions to her and the person who was now standing in the doorway. "You haven't happened to have seen Darren, have you? We've been wondering where he's at."

I quickly took another sip from my cup as Darren's gaze turned to me. I raised an eyebrow at him questioningly, but then smiled suddenly as I realized what he was going to do. He was going to ask Kaley out.

What would happen if I ask Leah out? I wondered. Would she freak out? What would she say?

"Actually, I have seen him," Darren replied, turning back to Kaley. "He was looking for you to ask if you wanted to go for ice cream between shows today."

A loud sigh slipped from Kaley's lips as she gave her response, which shocked all of us.

"I can't," she said sadly.

"You can't?" Darren echoed, sounding hurt and surprised. "But why not?"

"Darren," she sighed, beckoning me further into the room. "What would you usually do between shows?"

"I don't know," he replied, scratching his head as he thought.

"Exactly!" she exclaimed. "You don't have anything that you have to do between shows. I do. We've only got a few hours to freshen everyone's clothes for the next show, which means that I don't have any free time to spare. As much as I would love to go with you today, I just can't. I have to think about my responsibilities first."

"Can't Leah just do it by herself, just this once?" I was surprised by Darren's selfish question, raising my eyebrows in surprise. I snuck a glance over at Leah, who looked just as surprised.

"You know that I can't do that," Kaley sighed. "That wouldn't be fair to Leah, and with the time constraint that we have, we'll need all the time that we can get. Can I take a raincheck?"

"I guess," Darren sighed, pouting his lip slightly. I felt bad for him, not being able to spend time alone with the girl that he liked.

Wait a second...

"No, you should go," I said suddenly. "You go, and I'll stay and help Leah."

"You will?" everyone turned to look at me, apparently surprised by my offer.

"Sure," I smiled, leaning over and bumping Leah with my shoulder. "I don't mind helping this one with some laundry. As long as she doesn't mind..."

"I'm totally cool with that," Leah jumped in quickly, smiling at me. I gave her a quick, little wink, which caused her to blush. She quickly brought her hand up to cover her mouth as a small giggle slipped from her lips.

That is so cute, I smiled, relaxing slightly as she looked up at me with sparkling eyes. She's so cute.

"Besides," I continued, reluctantly turning my attention back on Darren and Kaley. "I have some free time since it's not likely that I'd be going with you. I know that you guys probably don't want a third wheel on your date."

"It's not a date!" Darren exclaimed, clearly frustrated. His sudden outburst shocked me and I gave him a surprised look, raising my eyebrows at him as my eyes darted back and forth between him and Kaley as if to say, "Umm, Darren? She's right there!" He instantly clued in and turned back to her, going into damage control mode.

"I mean, like, it's not a date date," he stammered, a little flustered. "If you call two friends going for ice cream a date, then sure, it's a date." I just rolled my eyes at his attempted cover up.

"I'm sorry, Kaley," I said, taking over. "I tend to label any type of outing as a date, a bad habit which Darren has been trying to help me break. And sometimes he speaks before he thinks, so him telling me off might have come across as rude, but please don't think that it was because of you. He's just trying to help me."

"Yeah, sorry about that, Kaley," Darren turned back to her. "I really wasn't thinking when I said that. I didn't realize how it might have sounded to you."

"That's okay," she smiled tentatively.

"So, ice cream?" he asked.

"It's a date," she laughed, quickly turning to me. "The friend kind of date, not a date date."

"Thank you for the clarification," I forced myself to laugh, giving Darren a side glance. He mouthed the words "thank you" to me and I gave him a slight nod as if to say, "uh huh, you're welcome".

I decided that I wasn't needed in their conversation anymore, so I turned my attention back to Leah.

"So," I said, grabbing her attention by nudging her shoulder with mine. "What do you think?"

"About?" she asked, tilting her head at me quizzically.

"Them," I smiled, slightly nodding my head in their direction.

"I think that there's more going on there then they will admit," she replied honestly with a small smirk. "Sometimes people don't realize that what they truly want is standing right in front of them."

"So true," I agreed, nodding my head. "Sometimes people won't admit to how they feel about someone because they're afraid of what will happen when the truth comes out."

"I feel bad for people like that," Leah replied softly. "Because since they're so afraid, they could end up missing out on something really great."

"Because they're afraid to take a risk," I said softly. "They're afraid of taking chances, afraid of what could happen. Fear of the unknown, right?"

"Right," she nodded. "Fear of being rejected. Fear of getting hurt."

"Yeah..." I slowly looked away. I could feel my heart hammering in my chest. Were we passing subtle comments about how we really felt or were we just stating common facts? As I looked away, I noticed that we were now alone.

"Umm, well, I guess that I should go get ready for the show now," I said, hopping down off the table. "I'll see you after the show?"

"Sounds good to me," she smiled, hopping down as well.

"Great!" I smiled. "Then it's a date."

Then room went silent for a moment.

"Uh, right, yeah," she stammered after a couple seconds. "I'll see you then."

"Bye," I forced a smile onto my lips as I hurriedly slipped out the door. As soon as I was gone from site, I stopped and leaned back against the wall.

Did I really just say 'it's a date?' I palmed my forehead. What is going on with me? Or I guess the real question is, what kind of date did I want it to be, a friend date or a date date? I smiled sadly as I realized that I already knew the answer.

There's only one kind of date that I want to have with Leah. And that's a date date.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oppps I fell behind on updating this! Be prepared for two more incoming chapters! :p