Status: Completed :)

Believe in Me

Five.

“Are you scared?”
“Very…I can’t do this. I’m gonna fall.”
“No you won’t.” The two of us were at the United Center. Patrick picked me up from my apartment and explained how Rachel told him I don’t know how to skate, so he decided to teach me himself. I sat on the team bench as Patrick tied my skates for me. I was beyond nervous. Once they were tied up and ready to go, he helped me up. Immediately, I started falling.

“I can’t do it! I can’t balance on these to save my life!” I pouted. Patrick chuckled, grabbing my hands. “Come on. I’ve got you. You won’t fall. Trust me.” He told me, pulling me slowly toward the ice. I could barely walk in these things. We stepped on the ice and I held myself against his arm. I started to hold onto the short wall and we slowly skated together. I can’t count how many times I almost fell, but whenever I looked like I was about to go down, Patrick lifted me up.

“Are you ready to let go of the wall?” He asked. I looked at him helplessly. I really wasn’t ready, but I nodded. “I guess.” I grunted. He smiled, taking my arms off of the wall. I closed my eyes the moment my hands left it. Patrick put my arms around his waist as he stood to the side of me, holding me while we slowly skated. Inevitably, I fell on my back moments later.

“Owwwww” I cried out, sitting on the ice. I looked up to see Patrick standing there laughing at me. “You said you wouldn’t let me fall!”

“You’re right, I’m sorry.” He said, suddenly serious. He bent down and lifted me up. “If you’re done for the day, then that’s okay.”

“No, I kind of like it.” I told him. This was true. Ice skating was actually sort of fun. The fact that an attractive professional was helping me skate made it even better. I was beginning to like Patrick, but I never forgot about the asshole moves he’s made these past few days. We continued to skate around the rink, and Patrick made sure to hold me tight and make sure I didn’t fall again.

“Either I’m really out of shape or ice skating is really hard.” I laughed. “I’m getting kinda tired.” I told him. We skated to the bench and took off our skates.

“Are you ready for the next part of this date?” He asked me, smiling. I glared at him jokingly.
“Who said this was a date?”
“I’ve never taken a girl ice skating, believe it or not. I consider this a date.” He grinned. “I’ll be right back, I’ve gotta go make sure everything’s set up.” He told me, and walked away.
___________________________________________
“So how’s it going, Kaner?” Andrew laughed as he asked his friend on the phone. He sat at dinner with Jonathan Toews and Brandon Saad, whom all were concerned with Patrick’s date as well.

“It’s going great actually, dick. I taught her how to skate.” Patrick told him. Andrew started to laugh even harder, “That’s cute.” He said sarcastically. Patrick rolled his eyes as he stood in the locker room. He felt bad ditching Lilly, but he knew his friends would be curious about how the date was going.

“You think you’re gonna get some tonight?” Brandon asked, grabbing Andrew’s phone and putting Patrick on speaker.
“You guys don’t get it. I like this girl.” Patrick explained. He knew he had a bad rep when it came to girls, but he wished his friends would believe him when he said he actually liked her. “I don’t need to sleep with her on the first date. It’s not like that anymore.”

“You’re whipped on some girl that isn't even yours.” Andrew said harshly. He didn’t believe for once second that Patrick actually liked the girl. Personally, he didn’t think she was that hot. He thought Kaner could do better. Patrick hung up the phone moments later and walked out of the locker room, irritated with his friends.
________________________________
“You ready to go?” Patrick asked me, walking toward me with his duffle bag, ready to leave. I nodded, handing him my skates. We left the rink and headed toward his apartment. I was curious why we were going there, but I didn’t ask questions.

“Tonight’s been fun.” Patrick told me, a wide smile on his face. “I’m glad you agreed to come out with me. I still feel bad about how I’ve been acting. I really don’t mean to be like that, you know?”

“It’s fine…” I began. “I don’t mean to sound rude, but I feel like you’re two different people.”

“How so?” He asked. I felt bad for accusing him like that, but the words just flew out of my mouth. “It seems like when you’re with your teammates, you act like that typical asshole athlete that just wants to get laid. But when you’re with me, you’re different.”

He nodded slowly, looking out the window. I really hoped I wasn’t hurting his feelings or pissing him off. “I like this Patrick better.” I smiled, placing my hand on his thigh. “At first, I thought you were the biggest douche I’ve ever met, but here, and now, I don’t think that anymore. You’ve given me the chance to know you. And I like that.” I explained. Patrick breathed a sigh of relief, running his hand through his hair.

“Shawzie doesn’t believe that I like you.” He told me. I rolled my eyes at Patrick, “Then screw him.” I mumbled. Patrick chuckled, “I do like you, Lilly.” He told me. I bit my lip, trying not to blush.
Patrick pulled into the parking garage of his apartment, and opened my door for me.

“What are we doing here?” I asked.
“Continuing this date.” He chuckled, leading me inside the complex and toward the elevator. “I’m gonna show you my cooking skills.” We entered his apartment, which seemed way bigger when it’s empty. Patrick took off our coats and hung them in the closet.

“What are we making?” I asked, sitting at the bar. I watched as Patrick rummaged through his refrigerator, gathering different ingredients in his arms. “We? I’m doing the cooking.” He told me, setting down the food and opening a bottle of wine.

I sat there and watched as Patrick grilled chicken and steamed vegetables. Every so often, he’d glance up at me and smile. I was beginning to like him more as each minute passed. He was so different when it was just the two of us together.

“Okay, the moment of truth.” He said, walking toward the kitchen table with two plates. I brought over our wine glasses and the bottle, and the two of us sat down to eat together.

“How is it?” He asked as soon as I took a bite. I chewed slowly, taking in the flavor. “Not bad, actually. Is this your mom’s recipe?” I joked. He threw his head back laughing, “It is indeed.”
“So, tell me more about yourself. How do you like Chicago?” Patrick asked me. I didn’t want to go into details about my family, so I hoped he wouldn’t ask about them. “I love it, so far.” I began, “I’m not used to this freezing weather, though.”

We went on about our lives and my future. I told him how I wanted to get into film and screenwriting, and he thought that was cool. He didn’t ask any questions about my family, which was a relief. I was sure I’d eventually have to tell him, but I wasn’t ready yet. We finished dinner, and then headed outside on the roof of the building, gazing at the night sky.

Patrick laid out a few blankets on the roof, and we put on our coats and sat down. It was freezing, but the beautiful sky took my mind off of the weather. He wrapped his arm around me as we sat, and I laid my head against his neck. He looked me in the eyes and motioned his face toward mine. I could feel his breath on my lips, until his phone rang. Patrick jumped at the sound of his phone, and I leaned up, avoiding the awkwardness.

“You can answer it.” I told him. He shook his head, ignoring the call. “It’s just Johnny. I’ll call him back later.”
We sat there awkwardly for a few more minutes. We both knew what would’ve happened if his phone didn’t interrupt. I wouldn’t mind kissing Patrick, but it was just awkward now. We went back inside and I helped him clean up his kitchen. I looked at the clock; it was getting late, so Patrick offered to drive me home.

We walked downstairs and into the parking garage, getting into his car to leave. “I really enjoyed tonight.” Patrick told me as soon as we got in. “I did too.” I smiled. My apartment was only about 10 minutes from his, so we got to my place pretty quick. He walked with me up to my floor, holding my hand as we walked.

“Well, this is my place.” I told him as we stood in front of my apartment. “We should do this again sometime.” Patrick smiled. “I have a road trip coming up, so I’ll be gone for about two weeks. We should get together again before I leave.” He requested. I nodded, smiling. I forgot about his job, which required him to always travel.

I hugged him goodbye, and put my key into the hole, unlocking my door. I looked back once before Patrick left. Before he did, he grabbed my waist, pulling me in, and kissed me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment your thoughts!