Status: 2-shot and done :3

Restart

Restart (1/2)

He found himself driving that familiar route back to her apartment. Ever since their fight two weeks ago there was a bitter taste left in his mouth, and it was beginning to show on the ice.

He was gripping his stick too hard, taking careless penalties, trying to start something with bigger opponents, the whole city of Pittsburgh just wanted to know what was wrong with their captain. It didn’t help that the media was down his throat more than usual. All the ‘analyzers’ saying that maybe the concussion setbacks were back or that he stopped responding to the coach, putting Bylsma in the hot seat.

He knew he was letting his team and his city down but he couldn’t focus knowing that he let her down. She trusted him, but all he did was screw her over whenever his temper rose. He didn’t blame her for ignoring him, but it still hurt.

He lightly knocked on the door, barely making a sound. He heard footsteps stop at the door and then silence.

“She’s not here.” He heard a voice growl from the other side.

“Then I’ll wait for her inside.” Sidney replied.

“It’s a waste of your ‘valuable’ time to do that, Sidney. She doesn’t want to talk to or see you and neither do I.” the voice said, he felt the sarcasm of the ‘valuable’ sink through the door. He heard the gentle laughs of a baby and his heart sank deeper.

“At least…at least let me see my son.” He asked pathetically. The door swung open.

“I’m sorry? Are you actually owning up to saying this is your son?” she growled.

“Lexi look I-“

“No no no, let’s see if I heard you correctly. You want to see your son. You’re not accusing my best friend of being a slut anymore? You’re taking back all the insults that you threw at her?” She ranted, Sid knew better than cut her off.

“Lexi. Please. I just want to explain myself.” He pleaded.

“You don’t have to explain yourself to me, Crosby.”

“I didn’t say I was going to.” He said harshly. He was growing annoyed with her third degree. His eyes shifted towards the little boy that was playing carelessly on the floor.

Lexi’s eyes softened when she followed his gaze. She knew Sidney was sorry, she knew he wanted to make things right, and she wanted nothing more than to see her two best friends together again, but she still didn’t want either of them to hurt more than they already are. She sighed “Look Sid, we’ve known each other for years. I know you’re trying, but Kayla is my friend too. You really hurt her. Hell, you pretty much broke her. I finally had to force her out of the house today. The first time since your fight…” Every word she said made Sid feel more and more like the shit he is. “…she’s gonna kill me for this but; come in.” Lexi finished. He rushed in and went straight to the boy.

“Hey buddy.” Sid smiled, the boy looked up with the big brown eyes he got from his father and reached for him, Sid picked him up and let the little hands wrap around his neck.

“He looks a lot like you.” Lexi observed with a bit of a laugh. Sid’s smile grew wider and he nodded in agreement proudly. The boy was playing with the gold 87 chain around his neck. “She’s changed you, you know.” Lexi said again. Sid gave her a look, she shook her head. “Sid I’ve known you for seven years. Kayla’s the first person you’ve let in on your own.”

“On my own?” He asked.

Lexi nodded, “Think about it. How many people do you know, and are close to, that weren’t influenced by Mario or by teammates?” she asked.

“Not many…” He trailed.

“More like one. Kayla. And I mean if you wanna get technical, we can add Jeremy here too.” Lexi said while pinching the baby’s cheeks. He hid his face into Sid’s neck, catching them both off guard. Sid put his cheek onto of Jeremy’s head.

This was his son. He had a son. Lexi was right. Kayla was the only person Sid really “let in” since before he went pro. I mean sure he met people outside his ‘circle’ but he never opened himself up as much as he did with Kayla. Hell, he’s told Kayla about things he hadn’t said to anyone before. It scared him sometimes. He was so guarded around everyone else but her. And now he’s paying for it.

“So where is Kayla?” Sid asked; Lexi hesitated. He looked at her with a puzzled look. “Where is Kayla, Lex?” he asked again.

“She’s…out…” she replied.

“Like, on a date?” Sid observed. She nodded her head a little bit in shame. Sid looked at Jeremy in his arms and realized how incredibly stupid he’d been to come here. He put the boy down and straightened himself off. He made his way towards the door.

“Sid! Wait! You-you can’t just leave.” Lexi shouted. Sid turned to her.

“Look Lex you were right. She probably doesn’t even want to see me.” He said. Lexi was about to respond until she heard her cellphone ring.

“Move and I’ll put you on injured reserve.” She threatened. Sid stayed, because he knew she meant it. “Hello?…Hey! How’d it go?…oh really…well that’s-…look why don’t you just-…okay see you soon…bye.” She looked over at him with a sly smile. “Hide.” She said simply.

“What?”

“Hide. Go away. Shoo. Into the guest room. And then wait.” She said pushing him in that direction. Sid didn’t question; he was too scared to.

The room hadn’t changed at all since he’d last stayed there the months before. This was pretty much his home all throughout his concussion saga. Lexi took him in because she was nervous about him being home alone so “tempted with all the exercise equipment” as she put it. He laughed at the memory. Lexi was his first friend since he moved to Pittsburgh, her family being a good friend of the Lemiuex’s, so it wasn’t hard. She pretty much had Kayla be his babysitter during it. The first month or so wasn’t easy; he didn’t trust her and he had no intention of being her friend. He was honestly just a complete dick to her and he regrets it every day.

And now look at them; she is the only person to know him inside out; and they had Jeremy, their eight month old son. He’d never have thought that he would be in this deep with her, and now he can barely remember his life without her. He heard the familiar voice of Kayla’s burst through the apartment. “Great you’re finally home!” Lexi announced.

“I’m never doing that again.” Kayla groaned. Sid heard Jeremy move about making his way to his mother.

“Well you might not have to…” Lexi trailed. There were heated whispers exchanged before Lexi broke out, “Look I need your help moving something from the guest room to my room it’s too big for me.” Then the light bulb went off in Sid’s head and he knew exactly what she was doing. He heard the doorknob twist and turn and suddenly he was face to face with Kayla for the first time in two weeks. Her eyes went hard and it definitely sent a chill up Sid’s spine. She went to turn back into the hallway but Lexi pushed her into the room and slammed the door behind her, and locked us in the room. “Have fun you two! Don’t kill each other!” Lexi mocked and he couldn’t help the small smile that to creep onto his face. He came to make amends, and if this is how its going to get done then so be it.